380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
I have been working on a dirt bike related product to sell now for about 6 months. I pretty much have it ready to go. Im finalizing my packaging and struggling to put some graphics and art work together. But Im pretty close to launching this stuff. Anyway Im completly ignorant when it comes to computers and was wondering how someone would go about getting a website up and running on a tight budget. It would mainly be used to display my products and possibly take orders. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would apreciate it.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Anyone?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Email some info about what all you want to do, I may have something for ya. ( okie@dirtrider.net )

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Well ya see...the thing is...I don't really know jack about websites. So I was waiting for some of the local experts to take care of ya.

I set up my first web page through www.100megsfree.com. I didn't have my own domain name, and the whole thing was free.

When I decided that I wanted my own domain name, 100megsree suggested using netnameone.com. It cost about $13 a year to register the domain name and I had to upgrade my 100megsfree account in order for them to host the domain. I think 10 or 20 dollars a year for that.

There are a lot of ways to do it. Probably some are a lot better/cheaper.

Maybe look at www.godaddy.com

I took a one-day HTML class at work and bought a copy of HotDogPro, because that's what we used in the class.

That's about all I really know.

Later...VD

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Looks like it took me so long to type everything that Okie is to the rescue before I finished. :)

Good luck.........

jschner

Jan 3, 2002
I'm no expert or anything and just do my own website as a hobby. But if you do a search on "learn html" you will find a wealth of information for the beginner. Just use notepad to write your examples with and save it on your harddrive with an html extension. Like "test.html" Then use you browser to open it and see what it looks like.

Start with the easy things like links and images and text then move on to harder things like tables. With just those basic skills you can build a pretty good site in no time at all. You don't need java or frames or things like that for a basic page. Just keep it simple.

Then try looking at other peoples pages on the web by right clicking on the page and choose "view source"and see if you can get an idea of what they are trying to do. Try very simple pages like link pages first.

My links page is pretty simple so try right clicking on it to see how the code matches what it looks like. Just keep at it and in no time you'll get it. Good Luck!
My Links Page

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
I used frontpage 2000 for mine, my first and only. It took a while before I got the hang of it , Think it cost like $100, they probably have a newer one by now. Buy your own domain name, I have my hosting through Winsave.com for I think like $8 or 9/mth., seems alright. But I know no better :confused: The hard part is getting your site up on the top picks of the search engines, I haven't even started on this yet but could give you some info on how to do some of it if you want.

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
My site is hosted by www.netfirms.com its tottally free, but there are banners and you dont get a ton of space (25mb) you can upgrade to more space and no banners for $60 a year. For the domain name you need to register it somewhere, do a search for domain name registration, you will find tons of discount places. I think I used www.registerfree.com and it was $15 a year. As for the actual making of the web site, I use Netobjects Fusion, it makes it real easy to make a profesional looking site using site styles. Just pick a style and it will apply it to all of the pages in your site, and you can customize or make your own if you want. 380EXCman, I would be happy to help you out if you tell me what this mystery product is :D

Top Bottom