Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
I went riding last Friday at River Valley MX www.rivervalleymx.com. The wife even came with me to take some pictures since she’s not seen me ride the new KX. What better way to start of the New Year but with a ride right? I met one of my riding buddies at the track, who warned me about the slick conditions since the ground was frozen and was thawing on top. This track sets next to a river with a South and West tree line that this time of year can cause some interesting slipping and sliding with shading from the for mentioned tree line. I put 5 laps in and almost pulled into the pits as my normal practice routine is to do 5 easy laps, check out the track, warm up, etc, then go in for a quick drink, re-stretch, rest for a few minutes and I’m good to go. But no… I see the wife walking out on the track and think, well since she’s out here, let’s do a few laps so she can play with the camera. So, I do the next two doubles and set up for the left hand bowl turn that is just a blast and was the one corner my buddy had total me to watch. I take the outside line as I had done the first 5 laps, hit the apex, line the big KX up and pull the trigger. For a brief moment I thought wow, I hooked this one and the wife is right there to see it! (by this time she was standing next to the small straight away after the left hand bowl turn). My next thought is crap, the back end is sliding out and I’m going down, the BAM, the back tire catches traction and high sides me over the bike and to the left. I landed very hard on my left hip. Massive pain in the hip and groin area. By the time other riders got to me I’m swearing like a sailor. 5 laps in and I fall right in front of the wife! This is not good. Hell, she said she was walking away from the corner, heard the bike rev, turned around just in time to see me be tossed in the air and she had to run to keep from being hit my the big mean KX. Strike two. Strike three is I was wearing the new Arai helmet Missi got me for Christmas that was out for only its 2nd ride. After laying on the ground for a few minutes and being checked over, we all know the drill. I get up and they take me back to my trailer. We load up and head home to go see the Doc. A couple of X rays and I’m told they do no see any fractures, but later Friday I get a call saying they suspect at least one fracture and possibly more. So, since I went to my primary Doctor and not the E room, I have to now waited until Monday for a Cat scan. Finally go results back today and, well, see them below.

Findings: There is a nondisplaced fracture through the anterior column of the left acetabulum and extending into the left superior ischial ramus. There is no demonstration of bone fragment within the hip joint. The femoral head and neck as visualized are intact. There is no demonstration of the disruption of the acetabular or articular surface. There is also a fracture of the superior pubic ramus identified just on the edge of the images.

Impression:
1 - Nondisplaced fracture of the anterior column of the left acetabulum with no demonstration of displacement of the articular surface or loose body in the joint space.

2 - Additional fracture through the superior pubic ramus identified just on the edge of the images.

3 - There was demonstration of extension of the fracture into the superior ischial ramus on the coronal reformatted images as well.

Ok, in laymen’s terms. I have a 3 fractures of the pelvis. There also seems to be a concern about the hip bone, but the jury is out at the moment. I don’t see an Orthopedic Surgeon until Friday, so I’m not sure what the course of action will be. None of the fractures are displaced which is good, so I’m unsure if I’ll need surgery. I’ve done some research that tells me these are non surgical injury and will take about six to eight weeks to heal. Guess I’ll find out on Friday. Damn it, damn it, damn it! :bang: :yell: :eek:

Last edited:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Ouch..

Hey, at least you ate in on a bike.

At about 10:30pm on the 1st, I was walking down my spiral stairs, missed the last step, and fell into the door casing leading into my kitchen.

The casing is 4" x 1" Oak. Nice and hard.

They didn't find any breaks, but I do have serious pain in my right shoulder and a very mild concussion.

This past week has been real fun trying to sleep. And getting back out of bed isn't a whole lot of fun. Never mind riding.. That's just not a going to happen now.

B

biglou

Geez, Timmy! That sucks. You too, Indo.

Need to be ready for a Spring ride somewhere in your neck of the woods or maybe even Dallas.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
that sucks.

but at this point, i'd be happy to have a non-surgical, six to eight week recovery injury.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
mx547 said:
that sucks.

but at this point, i'd be happy to have a non-surgical, six to eight week recovery injury.

That depends on what the Doc says that I'm going to see tomorrow. If he wants to do surgery, I'm putting my butt on a plane to Houston to go see Dr Sanders who is an Ortho that rides MX, works with MX riders and athletes for a 2nd opinion. www.sandersclinic.net If it comes to this to be secure that I don’t need surgery, the cost of the plane ticket is worth it to me.

Indy, dang man that does suck. At least its winter time. Here, each weekend is a 50/50 chance if you can ride. If it was summer time, I guess I would be forced to lay by the pool and have the wife bring me drinks!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Sawblade said:
Indy, dang man that does suck. At least its winter time. Here, each weekend is a 50/50 chance if you can ride. If it was summer time, I guess I would be forced to lay by the pool and have the wife bring me drinks!

The weather here sucks, so it's pretty much 100% not riding.

A good time to heal up I guess.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
mx547 said:
like she would do that... :debil:

Well she's been taking care of me hand over fist the last 6 days and has only asked I take her to Olive Garden once I'm healed up and mobile again. So yeah, she would... :nener:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Sorry to hear this, Tim. Maybe I should just ride my quad for awhile.:bang:

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Good news, no surgery is needed! I have 2 fractures of the pelvis. Doc says 3 month healing time. I have to spend a month on crutches, can swim in the pool at the fitness center. After a month ditch the crutches and start on a exercise bike. After that, the Doc said "I leave it up to you as to when you start riding again."

Brian, not a quad! I think it was the frozen ground that got me, that and landing right on the hip.

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
My son had a similar injury this summer. Did his by endoing and having the seat of the bike slamming his hip into the ground. He had three fractures as well. Did his injury in July but was running Cross Country by September. He tried basketball at the end of September, but the side to side motion was painful. He was able to ride somewhat in October but couldn't ride for very long. All is well now.

Best wishes, and heal quickly!
SusanE

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Glad to hear the good news! Hey after doing a handstand on the Mamba when I t-boned you at the 500 without a scratch, I really, REALLY don't want an injury. Plus I need to check fences this weekend, good quad duty!:laugh:
Sawblade said:
Good news, no surgery is needed! I have 2 fractures of the pelvis. Doc says 3 month healing time. I have to spend a month on crutches, can swim in the pool at the fitness center. After a month ditch the crutches and start on a exercise bike. After that, the Doc said "I leave it up to you as to when you start riding again."

Brian, not a quad! I think it was the frozen ground that got me, that and landing right on the hip.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
BSWIFT said:
Glad to hear the good news! Hey after doing a handstand on the Mamba when I t-boned you at the 500 without a scratch, I really, REALLY don't want an injury. Plus I need to check fences this weekend, good quad duty!:laugh:

Well since its checking fences that's allowed. :)

Susan, thanks for the well wishes! ;)

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Since the wife came out to take pictures and my crash happened on lap 5, here is 1 of only 4 pictures she took for the day. This was about 10 minutes prior me deciding to fly through the air with the greatest of ease. Here is a link to the picture, I'm to lazy to re-size to post it in the thread.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2188289690066789413lbPZXX?vhost=rides

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
You didn't tell us about the really nice race RV in the back ground. Do your boss loan you that?:)

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
BSWIFT said:
You didn't tell us about the really nice race RV in the back ground. Do your boss loan you that?:)

Hate to break it to you, but that nice big rig was the guys from KTM of the Ozarks. I felt like we were slumming it pitting next to them. :laugh:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
tim, the next warm saturday that comes along we should meet at guido's and go for a streetbike ride.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Sawblade said:
Hate to break it to you, but that nice big rig was the guys from KTM of the Ozarks. I felt like we were slumming it pitting next to them. :laugh:
Maybe they sabatoged your rear tire because you were riding green!
Glad to hear the injury doesn't need surgery! Heal up quickly.
Brian

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
mx547 said:
tim, the next warm saturday that comes along we should meet at guido's and go for a streetbike ride.

Jay, that sounds good. My left leg is still pretty week, so we may have to wait a little longer then the next warm Saturday.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
BSWIFT said:
Maybe they sabatoged your rear tire because you were riding green!
Glad to hear the injury doesn't need surgery! Heal up quickly.
Brian

Actually one of the KTM guys was the first to get to me and help out quite a bit in checking me over. Good guys for sure.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Sawblade said:
Actually one of the KTM guys was the first to get to me and help out quite a bit in checking me over. Good guys for sure.
He felt quilty! J/king:)

Top Bottom