What cleaners / chemicals to use???

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
I just tried some S100 bike wash at $12 a small bottle. It worked well, but then again, I could pay some kid $12 to wash it for me. I've had decent luck with automotive wheel cleaner, but you have to rinse it promptly or it with "stain" parts. Have you guys run accross any cost effective cleaners?

B

biglou

A gallon of ProClean1000 "Bike Clean" makes 3-4 gallons of cleaner. Must be diluted @ 3:1 or so with water. Rinse off bike, spray on, wait a couple minutes, rinse thoroughly. Very good stuff. I love it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
ProClean ROCKS!!! It's just about like having somebody wash the bike for you.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I use two cleaners on my bike:
Simple Green -
ProClean1000 - great on plastic

Those and a little scrub brush.

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
I always wash my bike with the power washer and then hand clean with Goof Off. It works really well at removing the residual dirt and stains. I will probably give the ProClean a try soon though.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I use auto wheel cleaner for the engine, and simple green for everything else. I have left wheel cleaner on the engine for quite a while and have noticed no staining where it drips on other parts of the bike.Occasionally for white number plates I use comet cleanser to get dirt stains out.

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
Ehh, it isn't a a chemical, but I have found that a toilet brush is indispensable for cleaning bikes. Nothing else will fit into tight spots like they will. You can push 'em into the spokes and clean hubs, between the swingarm and tire/linkages, the list goes on.........

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Simple Green left on for 3 minutes, then hand-washed with water and zip-wax. Makes future dirt much easier to get off, especially grease/ spooge. Those wire looped brushes meant for car wheels and tires (I use a Simoniz) can be bent straight to look like a giant pipe cleaner. They'll reach into all kinds of spots you cant even get a toothbrush on.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom