Last edited:

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Originally posted by oldguy
The kind I don't want to find in my pool:o
Is it a diamond back? Or maybe a timber rattler?

No,no,no....
That, my friend is a snake :p

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
In college I got paid -$5 each- for catching Massagua (swamp) rattlers for the biology dept. Made beer money doing it but I quit when we were driving home and when we got to the dropoff and opened the car trunk the bag was untied and 2 were missing :o. We never did find them but for the next couple weeks I sure did jump every time I heard a squeak inside the car

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
EEEEEEEEEEEK. I hate snakes. My buds spotted a large on the way into the riding area not far from camp. It had a head the size of a serving spoon and a lot rattles. It was buy the bike hill named "rattlesnake hill". Go figure. Hate seeing them on the trail let alone in my back yard. It would have had to kill it. Looks more like a timber if you ask me, but I don't hink thats what it is. The western diamond backs have blank and white bands buy the rattlers and more of a diamond pattern to them. Colors can vary in the diamond back. I searching around I have only seen one or two that color. I think that one is just as bad as the other though. In some states certian rattlesnakes are on the endangered specis and protected.

Oldguy you crazy! I would not get in my car if a loose snake might be in there. I have caught a few copperheads though. Young and stupid I guess. We used a long branch and a piece of thin rope to trap them around the head.

Last edited:

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
I wish them rattlers were endangered around here, we got too many. dirtbikedad, you are 33.4 miles away from me, ought to be careful given out directions to your place like that. Just to be fair, here are mine.

43° 36.631' N
116° 53.108' W

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Well the animal rights people will be happy to know that it's still alive, I drove it out to the middle of no where and cut it loose.

I don't mind the Mtn. lions, coyotes or the hawks that eyeball my dogs, but snake give me the heebeegeebies :scream: :scream:

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Thanks Dan for the link, It did look like the Mohave model

trivial

Feb 14, 2002
Snakes have never really bothered me. Used to have 4 boas over 13'...just a python now...and the 2 alligators that live upstairs in the bathtub.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
They do the rattlesnake round ups around here in April. The whole thing just creeps me out, but I sure you could catch a meal there if you wanted :) . Since I saw a pack of the critters on the trail I have been very cautious. One was crossing the trail and four with there heads poking out of holes just off my right were I stopped to let the slithery thing cross. I was on a twisty, tight uphill trail. I had nowhere to go. I did some searching around on what to do incase of a bite and what kinds were around my area. Also I wanted to find out there habbits or if there was any certain time of the day that I was more likely to see them. The bite statistics were pretty good, but I could not find any for my area.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Shoot, thats just a little guy! When me and my family go on vacation in Oregon's high desert, sometimes we'll go out in the evening and drive around looking for the little buggers.

Hmmm......wonder how big a snake would have to be before it could penetrate a riding boot?

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
Originally posted by oldguy
In college I got paid -$5 each- for catching Massagua (swamp) rattlers for the biology dept.
round here we can catch snapping turtles and turn them in for a moderate bounty. Much safer than digging around for rattlers.
Made beer money doing it
lets hope you weren't drinking king cobra, that there's the worst kinda snake bite you can get :eek:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Penetrate a riding boot!!! You see a snake like that, let me know, and I'm not ever riding there.
:eek:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
JP.

That looks like the dangerous kind to me. :eek:

Last monday I was walking next to my shop and as I walked between the shop and a small flower bed, I noticed a snake coiled up in the flower bed about 8" from my foot. My reaction was to jump about 5' into the air and land on the driveway.

Went back to check out the snake and it turned out to be a gopher snake. They look just like a rattler when they are coiled up and they even mimic a rattler by shaking their tail. Scared the crap out of me. :)

They are saying this will be a bad year for rattlers because of the drought. They are coming out looking for cool, wet places to hang out. We have already had a few in our neighborhood this year and it is very early for them.

Be careful out there.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
If you still have a problem with them in the future, go to the local animal shelter and see if they have some king snakes there for release. They are a known preditor of the rattler and will kill them on sight. Let them go in and around your yard and they will take care of you. They will not harm you though, unless of course you piss one off. But then, at least it's only a bite, with no chaser!

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
That snake looks like a 2002 model. You should see the 2003 model...it's got Bold New Graphics!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom