VenomRS4

Jan 12, 2007
I just got this bike in a trade. I was told it was an 84 but I am having my doubts. The radiator is mounted on the top in front of the forks. And everywhere I look, its telling me that the 1984 YZ125s has like 2 individual radiators in the more normal spot. So I think mine is like an 82'. Im hoping someone on here can help.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The bike looks to be in great shape! Not sure about a blue pipe though....

I would say that it is either a '81 or '82, they had single radiators. Pre 1980 were all air cooled, and 1983 and newer had dual radiators.

My understanding is that the current VIN standard started in 1981, so either this bike was imported from some other country or it managed to fall into a special case. Perhaps it was a 1981 model that was actually sold in 1980.

Rod

VenomRS4

Jan 12, 2007
hmm. This is wierd. The frame is an 81' or 82'. It has the special coolant passage through the frame with fittings for the hose under the tripple tree. (83'+ didnt have that). The engine is an 82'. It has a more square cylinder with a head thats flat on top (minus the bolts, spark plug, etc.) and the coolant hose goes into the back part of the top of the head (81' it goes in the front). And finally, I have the 82' swingarm (not v-shaped like 81' and the "bottom" of the shock is mounted higher than 83'+).

So I have come to the conclusion...I have an 1982 YZ125.

And yes, its pretty clean. Has a new top end, all plasctics are intact and not beat up, newer tires, new sprockets an chain, etc. I think I got a good deal. I just need to find a clutch basket....which might be a challenge. And about the blue...that wont last long....kinda reminds me of a suzuki. Im painting it black again.

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
Yup. An 82. I had one way back when. Fun bike for the day. Brakes faded, suspension wasn't as good as my buddies full-floater, but it did have a some good mid on up power.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
5x4 is an 82. I can guarantee that because I had the same bike before. There is a website on the net too that tells you what year bike have what ID's and 5X4 happens to be an 82. Sorry I don't recall the website off the top of my head. Enjoy it. It's a good bike!

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
Ohh yeah forgot to mention if you need parts go to bikeboneyard.com They have an 82 yz 125 that they are parting out. Decent pricing too. I ordered a cylinder from them no problems.

VenomRS4

Jan 12, 2007
Jeromeo said:
Ohh yeah forgot to mention if you need parts go to bikeboneyard.com They have an 82 yz 125 that they are parting out. Decent pricing too. I ordered a cylinder from them no problems.

I just sent him an e-mail earlier! :)

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
VenomRS4 said:
I just got this bike in a trade. I was told it was an 84 but I am having my doubts. The radiator is mounted on the top in front of the forks. And everywhere I look, its telling me that the 1984 YZ125s has like 2 individual radiators in the more normal spot. So I think mine is like an 82'. Im hoping someone on here can help.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

It's DEFINATELY an '82 YZ 125. The 83 and up relocated the radiators to each side of the bike under/in front of the tank.

Top Bottom