What's wrong older bikes?

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I hear it all the time, when I'm riding or on the internet people saying " why did you buy a old bike?" or " that bikes slow cause it's old!". What a bunch of weirdos. I think my bikes pretty darn good for a '92 and think it has enough potental as a '02 in mx. It's mainly the spoiled brat kid with his purty new YZ talking crap. Anybody else get this crap from people.

Just had to vent sorry....BTW What a bunch of freakin weirdos!:p :p

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
I can't believe I hear people calling a 99 old. This year I passed plenty of new bikes on wide open flat straights. I think my bike is still plenty competitive. If I rode like RC I'd want a new one but the way I ride this bike will be good for me for a long time.

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
I have an older 125. A 91rm and a 93yz . I love the 91 rm.

A guy told me the bike is too out dated. I simply replied I am new to the sport. If I can get good enough to hang on an older bike when i am done with the majority of my crash and learns. (looks like it is going to be a while:ugg: ).

Then when I get a new one i will be that much better!

95% rider 5% bike.

It has been 16 years since I was on a bike/ So the 91 is way advanced compared to the last bike I rode.
;)

Just my .02.

I do make it a point not to ride any newer bikes so I dont know what I am missing!

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I have a 94 model. Its not that old. It basicly the same bike as a 99. I have a 79 DT175 in the garage. I'd call that old and out dated. I payed way less for my curent "entry bike" than a new bike. As stated above, when most of the crashing is done I will upgrade. I can't say as I would not like a newer bike, but for my non-tallented riding what I have works. I will get one as soon as I can afford it. This one is paid for so I can't complain. I will make a few more mods and then save for a new bike. As long as you are having fun who cares what you on. Fun is what this sport is about. :)

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Mine's 10 years old and I still pass people on new bikes. Like it was said before, its not the bike, its the rider. I know alot guys on old bikes that would whoop my ass and everyone else's. I love the way my bike feels, I jumped on a 02 KX250 and felt really cramped. Mine actually feels like a bike, not a toothpick. It turns on a dime, and I've had many people that have ridden it ask me why it hits so hard on the top end.

I just say she has a mind of her own :p

If you worry to much about how old your bike is, or anyone else's you are into this sport for the wrong reason.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Yea that's what I tell the people " I could careless about the year aslong as I like it that's all that matters to me. " :debil: I could careless what they think it just gets real lame after awhile hearing people say that stuff. :cool:

lilcr80

Dec 26, 1999
It makes me mad too. I use to have a 86 CR80 and I would catch all kinds of grief about my bike being old from some people (the bike was actually very clean for it's year) but I paid them no mind. It usally was the kids that had a new bike every year cracking jokes I would just reply "if you have a problem with it buy me a new one". I now have a new to me 99 rm125 after 4 years and that's about as new as it's going to get here.

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
A guy I work with is 58 and has been riding bikes for nearly 40 years. He raced in his 30's, and now just spends his weekends piddling with the guys on trails (when he has the time). The last new bike he bought was a 1991 YZ125.

So there we are, blazing down the trails, I'm on my new YZ. He pulls up along side, gives me the look over, and then (grandpa) proceeds to disappear down the trail... I uh, er... cough... uh... couldn't keep up....

It ain't the bike, it's the rider. The only thing a NEW bike does is give guys like me with limited talent, the ability to look slightly better than I am by compensating for my mistakes... :)

He and I got together and bought some new riding gear for the holidays. I was glad to seem him get some gear. Being passesd by a 60 year old guy is bad enough, having him do it in 15 year old hot pink and yellow motocross gear is just plain embarrassing...

Last edited:

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by stormer94

old hot pink and yellow motocross gear is just plain embarrassing...

Oh yea I get the good ol' cracks on the old CR pink plastic color :confused: Thank god for graphic kits tho :)

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I've got a '96 YZ125 and I almost fell into the my bike is too old thing also. Then I took a look and realized my bike is basically the same as the '97,'98',99',00,'01 and if I changed some plastic maybe even the '02. Now if I sent my cylinder in to Eric, I'd have the power. If I sent my suspension into Jeremy, I'd have the works suspension. Why would I need another bike? As it is, the guys I used to ride with couldn't keep up with me anyway, so I think I'm fine. BTW they couldn't keep up with me because they are slow, not because I'm fast. :D. I'm still a spode!

Last edited:

Old CR goat

Sponsoring Member
Nov 10, 2000
I ride an Old bike because I'm OLD. Still it's newer than I am, certainly more power than I can handle and more than most of the folks that run it down for being old could handle. 90 CR250

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I have a lot of fun on my 1982 Husqvarna 430. Fast enough. Good enough suspension, turns ..most of the time. Now if it would start as easy as my VOR and vibrate as little! I still ride it more than any other bike I have in the garage. Easy to maintain. Don't care when it gets muddy. And its top gear is eye watering on our fields!:)

If your having fun and NOT getting nickle and dimed to death, theres nothing wrong with an older bike. My kid has the choice of almost anything he wants and prefers to keep getting those white steel framed CR Honda's from the mid ninties.:)

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I agree with the comments here and have had old bikes in the past. The biggest pitfal I found with an old bike is finding parts without special ordering and those damn drum breaks. Once I go through a water crossing, they are shot, at least in my experience. I had wanted a KTM 250 for many years, and for my 35th birthday I finally bought a brand new one off the show room floor, I was ecstatic!! First "brand new" bike ever.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
It's crap! I started riding last year on an '86 RM250 that still kicks booty. In fact, one of my best friends rides a '91 KX250 (which is a damn nice bike, and I've ridden almost as much as the RM) and he likes the RM better. It helps that the RM is almost cherry, the only non-stock things on it are the seat cover, tires, chain, sprokets and piston(top end). The thing rips! The only thing I don't like about it is that heavier and wider that my bike. Other than that, I'd love to have it.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Don't you understand, you have to keep up with the Jones'!:p

I ride a 1992 KDX 250. Everybody that I ride with has a '00 or newer bike, and I can walk away from most of them in the woods (maybe because they can't ride? :eek: ). If you are comfortable on your "older" bike, and have it set up right for you, and you have fun riding it , what else matters?

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
We all say this until we buy a new bike :)
When I got rid of my 95 YZ I was sad to see it go, but then one ride on my 01CR and I forgot what bike I used to have.
I don't regret having my 95YZ for a few years, I loved it, but now that I have my new bike it's a different story

JeffK

Sep 9, 2001
Your 01 CR is now old...:scream:

The 02s are sooooo much better..... :p

j/k I ride an 'older' bike and have noticed no difference in my abilities riding other's 'newer' bikes... I'll spend my $$ elsewhere.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
:( Your right's it's out of date!! Arrggg I just bought the damn thing,

maybe there is a point to be had here:think

Like I said it's all good now but when you trade your 7 year old bike in for a new bike, try saying that a 95 is fine ;)

Last edited:

amcdaniel

Nov 10, 2001
There is nothing wrong with older bikes as long as you maintain and service the bike properly. The suspension is outdated, so have the forks and shock revalved by an expert. Keep the motor fresh with a new piston every year and be happy you don't have a bike payment every month!!!

Montana300

May 4, 2000
I agree with amcdaniel, if you keep your older model in good running order they can be just as competitive as a new bike, for 90% of the riders out there. Most older bikes however, have at least a few parts that aren't in perfect mechanical order that affect the overall performance of the bike, like top ends, suspension, brakes, bearing etc.

someday

Jul 10, 2000
For those of us who are mechanically inclined and don't mind the time and effort to scrounge the least expensive parts an old bike can be a real steal. My son's '95 is in top shape.

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
I ride a 1983 KDX 200. I've ridden bikes from almost every era since the early seventies. Are new bikes faster? YES! Do they turn better? YES! Suspension better? By a mile! Am I a college student who can't afford a new bike? You betcha! The green pig may not be the best steed, but from what I can tell on the trails, 19 years of new technology can't make the bad riders that much better around here. I can't count the times guys on new bikes look at my rattletrap with disgust but proceed to get stuck on a rutty, rooted hillclimb we have around here.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom