INCA is still tied down in the van,
Probably thinking, maybe I can.
The door has a lock,
And I’ll ignore the knock.

His effort to come near,
For a repeat of last year,
Will definitely not be,
As this time it is me.

The White Rock Enduro, in northwest Arkansas, gets off to an early start with an 8 AM key Time. It is the first event of the year on the Black Jack Enduro Circuit and to accommodate all their classes with about 280 entries, it is best to start early. The youth and women run the super short course that splits off at 11 miles and winds it’s way back to the start. The rest return after 58.6 miles on the short course and then the top guns go out again for another 20 mile loop – the long course.
At rise and shine time there is frost on the pumpkin at 32 degrees while the sun is coming up over the mountain. It doesn’t take long to warm up for jersey time. The sky is clear, the sun is out and since it has been dry, there is some dust also. Another day for a good ride. Being on row 67, puts me near the end, as usual. The first picture is at the start with Connie recording our row. The second one is with my riding partner for the first 11 miles, after I got back, somewhat later.
The trail makes a R & L jog across the gravel road and heads up into the hills. After the grass on that first upgrade, we see very little dirt. It is essentially rocks, roots and logs most of the time. I haven’t been to Drummond since ’93, but I believe there are more rocks on these trails. The rocks are also sharp edged, rather than rounded. Oversized shale might come close to a description. The first section is on the easier side for the women and youth and at 18 MPH schedule. Still, some have trouble here and there but my partner gets through OK – most of the time. On the two tracks climbing up the ‘mountain’ there is some dust but dropping back a little puts you in clean air. The ride is enjoyable as I can keep up with my partner and make sure things are all right. We reach check 1 at 10.8 miles and down 19 minutes. Nothing to be concerned about as it is only a Sunday ride in the woods. Across the road and through the creek it is mile 11 where I turn right and am now on my own after having taken care of my ‘charge’ for the day. A 3 mile reset helps out but I still manage to lose another 3 minutes by the next check. The trail is now definitely harder. If the trees aren’t close enough to require tight turning, there are enough rocks to slow me down. I make mistakes and go down a couple times with the only damage being loss of time. The arms and shoulders take a good pounding from the sharp edged rocks. Whoops are not a concern – there aren’t any. Only the verbal kind when you make a mistake. Route sheets aren’t used and turns are not marked either. However, at every mile there is a sign with the mileage and time on it so it is easy to know how you are doing. For me it isn’t good as I’m starting to tire and look forward to check 3 before a five mile reset. A downhill wash about 100 yards long is steep enough that I manage to stall the engine trying to keep under control without over use of the front brake. If you have shoe brakes, they or your skill had better be super. I survive and arrive 42 minutes late. There must have been 10 people at that check and I wound up being there a couple minutes due to some bantering about age, liars, and eating green bananas. One of the workers announced my age, there where cheers, I waved thanks and was on my way. Gas available was at the reset and I heard later that many quit at that point asking how to get back to the start area. About the next 6 miles it was two tracks and wide trails. A welcome relief even though the speed is now up to 24 MPH. With the next reset at 44.4 miles I know there has to be another tough section ahead. By the start of that section I’ve gained 13 minutes. Doing fine this far into the run. So it’s back to the pounding, dodging, climbing, jumping logs and what have you. Check 5 costs me 47 points and some more bantering – lost tools, tires and how long I’ve been riding that enduro this time. Down a gravel road, a 3 mile reset, across the creek on a wet bridge and up a two track to the pipeline. Now things look familiar, as I know we’ll run this ridge for a while before dropping down to the valley and the finish. The downhill trail is well established and rather good until just before the creek crossing. For about 100 yards you could probably walk faster for all the rocks and saplings. When I reach the creek it is downstream from the bridge and I see arms waving me towards the check at the end of the bridge. So it’s through the water and up the bank to the finish. The mileage is 58.6 and I’m 40 minutes late. As my scorecard is marked and taken off the fender, there is a cheer from some 30 people. I raise both arms in acknowledgement and go through the sound test lane. I have made it in one piece without houring out. Later I hear that as I was coming across the creek, someone called out – “here comes Ted”. When results were posted, I was 6th out of 8 in the super senior 55 class. Although tired, the contentment makes up for it.

Young Ted

Fred - Later today INCA gets the reddish clay washed off.

Attachments

• Start.JPG
    Start.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 165
  • Partner.JPG
    Partner.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 170

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Awesome ride Ted! Made my day! Your ride report was like opening a window for some fresh air.... and it's been a long, stuffy winter. I could almost smell the shale rock, taste the dust, and hear the creek.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Ironman Ted - takes a licking and keeps on riding (that doesnt rhyme does it? - I am glad I dont make my living from poetry!)

Seeing those pics of ground that IS NOT COVERED IN THIS UGLY WHITE STUFF is encouraging...someday soon we may see green again. Sounds like a great ride!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Awesome!

Congratulations for crossing the finish line Ted, that is quite an accomplishment. Now will this bath be the only one for the month for INCA? She(?) deserves special treatment for taking you "all the way" and if you do wash her she may start expecting it more often so be warned!
:cool:

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Great report, Ted. Thank you for taking the time share with us. Especially those of us that have yet to hit the dirt this year. Is it sad when you run your bike pre-mix in your snowblower just to smell the aroma of a two-stroke? The utility bills might bankrupt me, but I think I might try Fred's idea of leaving the doors and windows open for a couple of days to see if it helps makes this white stuff disappear faster!

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Answer To Points & Comments

Don - There are as many opinions of an event as there are riders. Riding in that area is a challenge for me to be sure. The toughest part was the 13 miles before check 3, which is where everyone lost points. The OA winner lost 11. When you can finish an enduro with the least damage to yourself and your equipment, you have conquered the challenge.

Pat - Any riding can be fun depending on your outlook. Are you having fun is a regular question at checks. When tiredness sets in it is possible the fun can be gone. This is where the comments with check workers lightens things up and brings out some laughs. Trail and enduro riding are not the same so each has it's own type of fun. The main thing is to simply ride.

Smit-Dog - Glad your imagination can turn words into real life. But then your imagination is no dummy to start with.

Mike - I don't think you really believe snow is ugly. If it was so, you wouldn't live that far north and be an outdoor type.

Fred - The wash job did get done. That being it for the month is up for grabs right now. It depends on how dirty the next ride is and how soon I can get to it.

WildBill - To share the ride here is enjoyment for me and part of being an MTR - thanks to that lost soul from around Muskegon. While writing up the report it saved me from handling a phone call that would not have been as pleasant.

Nick - You're looking at the first picture backwards. Connie is in front of me. If that is a question of what sun looks like, I don't follow you at all.

Young Ted

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
nzambon said:
Behind every good man is a better WOMAN. Nice pic's so thats what sun looks like eh'.

Finer words have never been spoken - that pit tootsie is AWESOME!!! Certainly hope she helps my hero make that Rum cake again this year for Rites - that cake is great with a little sweetner added to Teds spicyness!!!

Hey Trail Master - GREAT writeup!! It appears that your efforts of bringing back some southern sunshine has worked as planned - you got the snow on the run and a regular heat wave started here Timer!! I gave Randy/Larry the patches and they are both fired up for our first "No Snow Ride" in the very near future!! Of course, we all think it a little "unfair" that you are getting all this practice in before then but hey, you always were labled as a "Trouble Maker" so we will just live with it..
Enjoyed the trail tails!!
Me

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Name the second person for who I have been a 'Trouble Maker'.

Your Favorite Rotten Sucker

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
INCA said:
Name the second person for who I have been a 'Trouble Maker'.

Your Favorite Rotten Sucker

Ok Timer, it took a little time for the "proof" to develop so I could show you who that second person is... Go read Don and Zuki's report on their recent ride at Cedar and you will see some comments made by Don at the end of their report addressing my "never leading him safely out of the woods".. By making this totally uncalled for statement, Don is simply following your expert lead with this kind of sillyness - you are therefore somewhat responsible for his attitude that ultamitly is giong to get him in trouble - yep Nelson, that would be another case of you being a "TROUBLE MAKER"!
:rotfl: :nod: :moon:

By the way, indeed you are "My Favorite Rotten Sucker" too!
Soon we ride brother - VERY SOON :ride:
Woodsy

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Trouble Maker?

There are several factors being overlooked. I have no control over Don, he has a mind of his own. That I throw something out in all innocence and it gets picked up, is not my doing. Proof that I'm a trouble maker to someone else would be more like what happened to you over Lazy Susan. Which brings up being in the clear with - Here Scott. Have you been called on that one yet? On the other hand, if you're looking for trouble, you may find it on the Boon Trail one of these days. YYaaahhhhhhooooooooooooo.

Just one of them

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Here is a picture from the Black Jack Enduro Circuit site that I just got hold of. It gives you a rough idea of what the terrian is like.

Young Ted

Attachments

• Crossing Stream.JPG
    Crossing Stream.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 98

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
INCA said:
There are several factors being overlooked. I have no control over Don, he has a mind of his own. That I throw something out in all innocence and it gets picked up, is not my doing. Proof that I'm a trouble maker to someone else would be more like what happened to you over Lazy Susan. Which brings up being in the clear with - Here Scott. Have you been called on that one yet? On the other hand, if you're looking for trouble, you may find it on the Boon Trail one of these days. YYaaahhhhhhooooooooooooo.

Just one of them

Oh Yes, Mr. Trouble Maker 1st class.. I certainly have been called on that one - MANY TIMES if you are referring to "C" calling me on it... I just dont understand how she can think you are such a "very nice person" (her own words) and not see how much trouble you make me... As far as the "Here Scott" plate on the Suzan - that is NOT trouble - that has been keeping me out of trouble (even today at dinner for Easter it worked GREAT!!).. The Suzan was the trouble - for cryin out loud, I set one little glass of juice on it and you'd think I had mistreated one of my kids or something - GET THAT OFF THERE RIGHT NOW - YOU'LL RUIN THAT THAT PRETTY SUZAN THAT TED GAVE ME!!!! Me under my breath - yea, that rotten sucker of a trouble maker knew exactly how to get me again didnt he, hmmmmm...
As far as the Boon goes - maybe we can settle a little of this debate over a burnt squirrel dinner and a "boon" fire!!! That is unless I have forgotten how to get us lost. :yikes:
Now get out and do that Woodsy Shuffle with a Sundance Twist so we can get in the woods will ya!!!!!!
See ya soon on the Boon!! :ride:
Woodsy

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Now just to clarify...The 2 times that I have made the Boon run with you Scott neither of them you got me back from. At least not entirely.

The 1st one you ran out of gas and had to be rescued by Hubby if memory serves me. And the 2 of you ended up in Carryville instead of the 7 mile parking lot. While I had the smarts to stick with Joe who I knew would get me back.

On the 2nd attempt I recall rudy's GPS pointing us in the right direction on numerious occasions. Which at least got us across the Lincoln bridge at which point I could get back myself blindfolded.

Not that I would of traded any of the rides with you. When I senced the saga unfolding last spring all I could do is sit back and smile as the panic spread thru the rest of the crew. As I said.... Never a dull Moment :cool:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
YZMAN400 said:
Now just to clarify...The 2 times that I have made the Boon run with you Scott neither of them you got me back from. At least not entirely.

The 1st one you ran out of gas and had to be rescued by Hubby if memory serves me. And the 2 of you ended up in Carryville instead of the 7 mile parking lot. While I had the smarts to stick with Joe who I knew would get me back.

On the 2nd attempt I recall rudy's GPS pointing us in the right direction on numerious occasions. Which at least got us across the Lincoln bridge at which point I could get back myself blindfolded.

Not that I would of traded any of the rides with you. When I senced the saga unfolding last spring all I could do is sit back and smile as the panic spread thru the rest of the crew. As I said.... Never a dull Moment :cool:

So am I reading you right here Mr. YZMAN?? Are you stating that you doubt that I have lost my inate abilties as a trail leader who is able to run the ride amuck?? I hope this is true because it is truely one of the few things that I do really well.... :p
By the way, Joe may have gotten you back but you REALLY missed an exciting ride with Huby and I.. I brought out some of the finer personality traits hidden under that normal Huby madness.. :nener: If only you could have seen his face as we pulled in to Carrieville :rotfl: Oh what fun...
Woodsy

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
[. When I senced the saga unfolding last spring all I could do is sit back and smile as the panic spread thru the rest of the crew. As I said.... Never a dull Moment :cool:[/QUOTE]

What panic? We were riding in the woods of Michigan with Woodsy.

Top Bottom