Will these feelings EVER go away?!?

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
...the feelings I have for my dirtbike that is! I just bought my first one, it's an 01 KX 250. I've had a couple of street bikes before and race mountain bikes. Maybe that helps a bit. I can't believe how much power this 250 has! When I took it out for its first ride yesterday, I thought I made a big mistake! This thing really scared the crap out of me! But I rode it for about three hours yesterday and got used to it. I got lost on one of the back trails that was incredibly muddy. Some of the mud puddles came up over the tires and the water was blasting me in the chest and face when the bike blasted right through them with ease! Mud and rocks and debris were flying everywhere! I was giggling like a litle girl! I know the day is coming that I stall the bike in a huge puddle and have to try to kick start it again or drag it out of there! I think I am really getting the hang of this thing! I took it out tonight after work and was looking for some different less muddy trails. The trails still had some mud, but the trails I rode tonight had berms on them that I had a blast railing around. Leaning the bike over about 45 to 50 degrees hauling azz around a corner is awesome! At one point, I was flying along the trail and came to a really steep and big dropoff. I went down but the other side going back up was very intimidating! I was down in a deep depression and there were about 4 different trails going up the sides. All of them about 70 degrees or so. I shut the bike off and tried to figure out a way to get out! I couldn't even climb up these hills. I wasn't about to leave my bike so I just had to ride up it! Now THAT'S fun! I went back up and down them several more times. I rode around and found all of the steepest hills I could ride up. Some of them with huge rocks and roots in the trail. The KX blasts over them with ease! I haven't found a trail yet that I can't ride. I feel like I'm really getting the hang of it.
Anyways, I think the $2,200 I spent on the bike was some of the best money I've spent! But now I'm obsessed! I'm 26 years old and all I can do is think about riding my dirtbike! Eat, sleep, dirtbike. When I'm at work, I'm wishing I was riding my dirtbike! It's nuts! Does anybody else feel this way? Matt

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Ahh, young love. :) When you really get it bad you can barely sleep the night before a ride because you are so ramped up. That part will eventually fade some, but once you have it in your blood, the actual riding stays fun forever. Congrats on the new bike - it's a great sport.

WideOpen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 21, 2000
just wait till you start racing

its all i can think about on a monday, i always say to myself: was i going fast enough? could i have gone any faster? that guy in front of me wasnt that fast, i really should have caught and passed him, i really need practice more, man am i outta shape i should workout sometime

by the next day im thinking about when im gonna ride again or when the next race is

you've caught the bug, congrats

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I've been riding for about 10 years, and I still don't sleep the night before a ride.

If you have an addictive personality, you're screwed!
You have found the best drug ever, adrenaline! :eek:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Well, Matt, I've been riding for 32 of my 42 years on this planet. Every time I get on a bike I'm 10 years old again. Does the feeling go away?...I sure hope not.

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
You sound exactly like everyone I have ever met who trys riding a dirt bike for the first time.

Enjoy your new toy.

Rich.

drz400e

Oct 16, 2004
I'm 41 years old. I have been riding bikes of on form or another since I was 12.

It's -4 this morning and I took my DRZ400E to work. I'll ride untill the snow is to deep or it's just to damned cold to ride.

It's an addiction. What can I say.

CR3999

Feb 28, 2000
They have a great Cross Country series in OK. You should try it. Go to OCCRA.COM

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
"Will these feelings EVER go away?'

Not if your lucky. :cool:

Looks like we hooked another one. ;) :ride:

Ol'89r

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Now get together with anywhere from 1 to 300 of your riding buddies from all over the US (and other countries) and you'll reallize it will never go away. That's what it's all about. I've been riding for 21 of my 26 years and I'm still having a blast. I had one of the most memorable rides of my life, just last Saturday. My dad and I found a new riding area, just down the road from his house (imagine that!) and rode some great trails and ended up getting lost! We got stuck in the woods after dark....had to carry our bikes over a fence....cross a creek...and go through a cattle gate in order to hit the road and get back home. We had a blast and will never forget that ride...just me and my dad, lost in the dark!

There is always something new or someone new to keep things exciting.

:ride:

Aug 26, 2005
Yes, it is very addictive. I often go into my garage late at night just to look at her, sit on her, ummmm share quality time LOL. Then on the day of the ride, I am typically out there longer than anyone else, I want to be exhausted when I get home to get my effort's worth (the effort of getting the bike ready, loading, etc.).

I have been riding fast ATVs and the occasional MX bike off an on for about 15 years, and just got my first bike this year. It scared me pale faced the first few times I rode it! Honestly, it is too fast for a first bike (much like your KX250!!), but I grew into it quickly and I feel comfortable, although very respectful of it know. Equally addictive to me is 2-stroke power and sound, way more exciting than 4s IMHO. I hope the feeling never goes away, I don't think it will. :cool:

Speedfreek

Nov 3, 2003
You're hooked,might as well sell everything that doesn't have something to do with bikes now and get it over with(you eventually will anyway :laugh: )

Top Bottom