fatcat216v2

Aug 29, 2009
Hello.

I have a dr200se. I have an opportunity to do some winter ice riding come Feb. I do not have a heated garage- just a carport. It is likely I may not get a chance to ride between now and then.
I replaced the battery at the end of summer after having stored my bike in the carport unwinterized. I had not ridden it more than once in the previous year. Out of curiosity I had started it in the spring, but wasn't able to ride, and depleted the charge.. After that initial start, I could not get it to hold a charge enough to start it despite multiple attempts to recharge it..... So- new battery.

My question is:

1.) Do I leave the battery attached to my trickler/recharger or will this potentially just ruin the battery for holding a charge?

or

2.) Once it gets cold cold, would it be better to take the battery off and bring it in the house until I can ride? (ie. through January until the ice is thick enough to ride.)

or

3.) Any other suggestions that don't involve me putting the bike in storage ...If it stays dry I may be riding through December once the bullet shooting bambi killers get out of the woods and I am only dodging arrows and deliverence type serial killers.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The best bet is battery tender. They monitor the charge level and keep it from going too low.

fatcat216v2

Aug 29, 2009
Thanks Joe. I looked up the difference between a tender and a trickler. I will pony up for the tender as it looks like my trickler would probably put me back another battery. ;-)

Wish me luck!

fatcat216v2

Aug 29, 2009
_JOE_ said:
You don't need luck, just the right equipment, lol.

Right equipment being 20 years younger and a little more coordinated, right?

It was not pretty starting all over a couple weeks ago....It was almost as if I had never ridden at all...Not like I got beyond going 3 mph before in the woods, but I think I was down to .5mph.... I'm pretty sure I would have lapped myself walking at a leisurely pace.

The funny thing was the third time I was out there I noticed this old car that had been abandoned in the woods.... Shiny chrome and stuff...Neat old car...I had never noticed it the other times I'd ridden there or the first two days....

ugh... being a scaredy cat and an old lady is not improving my learning curve...

But give up?? NEVER!

Top Bottom