splashedwater

Jun 23, 2006
Hi guys! I was so happy to see there was a forum like this, I've been debating on what type of bike to get forever. I'm having a tough time deciding between a new yamaha wr250f and a wr450f. The salesman told me I should go with the 450, but I can't really trust the salespeople, and I've read other users posts saying the 450 was overpowered for them, and then others saying they got a 250 and it was underpowered and later they wanted the 450. Also I hear a lot of people do a lot of adjustements to the 250, I wouldn't want to do the adjustements because I don't want a noisy bike. Not being able to test drive either, ugh, I was hoping you guys could help me out.

Here is my information from the form provided:

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
4) Do you have any riding experience?
5) Do you think you will race ?
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

1) I am 5'10 and 170 pounds and 24 y/o.
2) I'm physically in good shape. I push myself when I ride but nowhere near competion level, so I would say I'm moderately aggresive.
3) I'll be riding in the Southern Utah area mostly. I'll be doing open and tight trails, open road, little hill climbs and natural jumps. So I guess a bit of everything, but wont be doing anything competative.
4)I have a limited riding experience, about 2 years, with an old xt200(very underpowered for me) and my uncle let me barrow his yamaha ttr250 for about a month (also slightly underpowered). The last time I road a bike was about 5 years ago. But plan on diving in heavy when I get one.
5)I will not race
6)I will be doing my own bike work, but want to keep it to a minimum. It's not an aspect of motorcycle ownership I enjoy.
7)I strongly prefer a 4 stroke. And I prefer either Yamaha or Honda because I've heard they are the most reliable.
8)I was going to travel to vegas to purchase the motorcycle from a dealer.
9)I plan on spending 7k or under on a bike.
10)I like relatively quite bikes. If you have a suggestion that isn't a wr, thats good too, I just need reliable, and quite (tall order).

Any other questions please ask.

Thanks in advance!

DrZero

Feb 16, 2004
little bikes are more fun on tight trails, big ones on open trails. either of these would work just fine for you but I suspect the 250 would be more fun

splashedwater

Jun 23, 2006
Hmmm.... I'm still having such a tough time. I beleive I'll be doing mostly openish trails in the desert, but I have limited riding experience... Then again I plan on riding a lot so will probably catch on quickly... Is there anyone here that has gotten a stock wr250f or equivelent and found it had to little power and wished they had gotten a stock 450 or vice versa?

MC795temecula

Jun 26, 2006
my friends dad got the honda version of the wr (crf250x) and he liked it for the first month maybe. Now he wants a 450 because he says the 250 is just too slow. he rode my 125 in the woods and said it was faster and my bike is stock. so if i were you, id go with the 450 so you wouldnt want to sell your 250 in a few months and buy a 450

Top Bottom