IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
I used to own an XR 250(1998-2000) and really like the bike. The engine was nearly perfect for the riding I did, tight trails to wide open fire roads. After owning a KTM 250 exc I realized that bike was more aggresive than most of the riding I do. So I'm thinking the next one will be another four stroke for me. The only things I didn't like about my XR 250 were the weight and the terrible seat/tank. The WR 250F on paper looks about perfect, but I'm worried about how aggresive it needs to be ridden. Can I slowly lope along down a trail more sight seeing than hammering? Can it be lugged a gear high and just sorta cruise? Thanks for any help.

Texas4play

Aug 13, 2003
The wr250f is great once you un-cork it. Make sure you get 2003 (electric start!!!!!!!) It's a screamer though so you have to wrap out to get anywhere fast. But, if you want to cruise/lt trail it's more than fine. The xr250 is outdated for todays times. The new crf250x will be interesting. If you want a really fun bike to ride try the crf230f. Mucho easy and fun to ride (lot less expensive too $$$)

coleman

Jan 4, 2003
Originally posted by Texas4play
It's a screamer though so you have to wrap out to get anywhere fast.

Why does everyone say that? Just today I rode some really tight, hilly trail and my yz250f did just fine. It has great low end power, way more then everyone thinks. My buddy who also has a yz250f also commented on the amount of low end it had. We both have ours gear up 2 teeth on the rear and they work great everywhere.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
WR250 is perfect for what you are wanting to do. I can't say enough about how much fun my '03 is. You can scream through the timber or putt along looking for new trails and enjoying the scenery, great bike. If you will be at Dirt Week, look me up and take it for a spin.

nvdirtbiker

Jun 30, 2003
I agree with the earlier comment about the crf230f Honda...its fun..its cheap (much much less than the xr250 or the very pricey wr250f)..and yes..if you thought the ktm needed to be ridden aggressively, DITTO for the yamaha wr250f. its a VERY peaky motor... it needs to be revved to make any power, and its a lot more work to ride than an xr. The crf230f however, has a very comfortable seat, electric start, very easy-to-control power, and is a REAALY fun bike to ride. I just spent a week on my nephews 230, and it was a blast! I ride hills, single track, two track, twisty tree-ridden trails, sandy dry river-beds, and fire roads...and that bike handled it all amazingly well! I am very surprised to say that bike really impressed me...and i ride open class two strokes and a 600 four stroke! The XR250R seems too expensive, now that the crf230f is out. The price difference is about 1200 bucks!

nvdirtbiker

Jun 30, 2003
sure...compared to a motocross 125 two stroke...the wr250f seems like a tractor...but compared to an xr250? the xr has MUCH more managable power characteristics, is WAAAY easier to handle in muddy slimy conditions, and feels like a tractor compared to the WR. I was answering the question about xr vs wr..and there is no way anyone can say a WR is as tractable and easy to ride, over a wide range of conditions, as the XR is. The wr takes more work..if he doesnt want to ride aggressively, then the xr is the machine.

coleman

Jan 4, 2003
I had a gas gas 300 before my yz250f. If you've ever ridden a 300 two stroke you'll know they have a ton of low end and tractor through tight stuff very well. The 250f doesnt feel like it has much less low end at all, its still very easy to manage and has very smooth power. It sounds like you're making an opinion on the 250f without any serious riding time on them.

Top Bottom