Bigdogdaddy69

Feb 18, 2008
hello a friend of mine gave me a xr 80 that was laying in his shed for awhile. I took it home put fresh gas in a new plug, the bike started up and ran perfect. Today i put a chain on to test ride it and the bike barely wants to stay running and spits and sputters and backfires. What should i check?

TJSCOTT1977xr75

Mod Ban
Oct 4, 2007
you have a dirty carbuerator. after you clean it, check your air filter and make sure it is still ok, or else it will just happen again

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Process of elimination on a bike that's been neglected. Is the petcock on the tank partially blocked? Fuel lines cracked and sucking air? dirty air filter? Dirty carb? cracked air boot? Depending on the year it may have points which need adjusted. Bad ignition.....

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If it is an '85 then it will have points.

Bigdogdaddy69

Feb 18, 2008
I cleaned the carb,the petcock the bike runs alot better now. So far the bike seems to be good. The carb looked clean as well as the petcock. The bike didnt have a air filter on it so i added one. The points are behind the fly wheel right?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yup behind the flywheel. If it has a steel tank you might check for rust in the tank (a flashlight and not a match would be a good option) ;)

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Sounds like more junk got into the jets or petcock. Reclean. You may have to this several times.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom