angst2

May 24, 2001
I have a 2000 cr125 and am looking for more grunt on the bottom. I realize that this bike is lacking in this department but I want to set up to get as much as I can out of it. My previous bike was a 98 cr125 from the same previous owner and it had much more umph under the pipe.
The previous owner had optimized for B class racing and said he set it up for top in power. I am a 50% woods 50% track and occasional beginner class racer
I inquired at the local shop about a aftermarket pipe but they discouraged me and suggested I try either lengthening the header with a spacer or trying different reeds and perhaps different gearing. They though that this would achieve what I wanted at the sacrifice of a little bit of over rev (and less money). If indeed different reeds are the way to go, then which reeds are best?

Current set up
2000cr125 shaved head, ported polished, stock header, FMF shorty pipe, high speed reeds (brand unknown) 13 tooth front sprocket, 52 tooth rear.
My previous 98 bike set up was the same plus a 2mm bore and it had a 12 tooth front sprocket

00CR125

Sep 9, 2002
Hey, i have an 00 cr 125, and its got lotsa balls in the lowend compared to my friends 00 yz125... What do you mean Header? 2 strokes dont really have headers? Just a pipe and a silencer?? Id try an FMF sst pipe, or a fatty, ive heard they are really good pipes.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
FOr what its worth, i installed a set or mototassanari reeds and they improved the bottom end on my 250..

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I would look into a cometic thin base gasket but you will need to run 2 head gaskets stacked ontop of each other to keep the compression correct.After that i would look at a V force reed block with the reed tension set to low.
However this isnt going to work as good as a 133.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Marcus,
By lowering the exhaust port, will it harm the top end performance at all??
Thanks in advance,
RIck

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
It will a tiny bit.Most tuning is a trade, however on the 02Cr125 you dont want to trade power-just find lots more.Most tuners like the 00 Cr125 porting-i like the 02 but it needs the PV to sit closer to the piston like the 03 does i believe.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Maybe check or advance the timing a little for more snap ; Youll need to put a slot in the stator plate , then youll need to use very good fuel espescially if youve had your head shaved. This may help only a little bit , You will never get a 00 to run as strong down low as a 98 133 .

Rutbuster1

Sep 30, 2002
Try a MOOSE Torque Spacer kit. It runs about $25 and will make a big difference, I know it did on my KDX 200.. I also recommend Moose Torque Reeds.. And if you have the money, try to find a FMF Gnarly pipe. I know they use to make them for 125's. I'm not sure now....

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom