Rev_iT

Mar 3, 2002
I'm now riding an YZ125 '99 (upper triple clamp, pro taper bars, gold anodized rims/hubs, fast exhaust and the cilinder has had a porting job by a local tuner). In the end of this year/begin next year I want to buy a 2002. Will a standard 2002 be a lot better than my tuned '99? Or do I have to wait a year and a half and just ride my '99 for 2003? I'm from Holland and I don't know how to explain my class. But I've just got my first race and I will be doing a lot more races this year.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
They are very similar the only real advantage the 02 has is slightly better forks stock and better egornomics bout it really.

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
Agree with that there isnt super improvements over the years and the 99 motor is probably the best but the upgrades in suspension, ergonomics and detail on the 2002 make it real nice. The 2002 is also a 5 speed, earlier YZ125's are 6 speeds.

My boy races a 99 and it can hold it self against newer bikes but its getting old and that means repairs and parts.

Later this year there will be a superceeded new 2002 for him.

Racer_x4

Aug 6, 2001
I own a '99 YZ125 and it's a really great bike and like everyone else said, between the '99 and the '02 there isn't much difference besides the newer looks for the '02 model and all. The only reason you should get a new one is if your bike is in really bad shape and isn't worth riding...

Rev_iT

Mar 3, 2002
Thanks for al the info!!! I like my bike a lot, but I think it hasn't got good top-end power. Low-end and mid-range is very good, enough power for me, but I think the top-end isn't very good. I also think my buddy's YZ125 2001 handles better in crorners and in whoops. But this can be a suspension issue, can't it?

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
The 2001 suspension is very good in comparison to the 99. Valving etc can improve the 99 to the 2001 level pretty easily. The 99 has a very good power delivery. The extra top end on the 2001 comes from the bigger carb and porting changes. The 2001 bottom to mid lacks a bit in comparision to the 99 IMO.

The ergos on the 2002 are really good. I rode one for a short while and was impressed and thought overall that the bike had moved ahead by a generation as everthing felt better.

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
Originally posted by Rev_iT
Thanks for al the info!!! I like my bike a lot, but I think it hasn't got good top-end power. Low-end and mid-range is very good, enough power for me, but I think the top-end isn't very good. I also think my buddy's YZ125 2001 handles better in crorners and in whoops. But this can be a suspension issue, can't it?

yes it is a suspension issue-- dont have any idea how to correct it though!!!:confused:

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Well first of all keep your bike, it is up to the rider not the bike. Your bike is a great bike from what you posted. I was thinking about doing the same thing with my 2000 but they essentially have the same engines so there was really no point for me other than to get the new ergonomics.

Your handeling problem (if it is a problem) might be able to be solved with off set tri clamps. I am not 100% sure but it might help. Anyone?
Marc

Rev_iT

Mar 3, 2002
The handling isn't really a problem, but the 2001 bike just handles better. The 2001 bike has a smaller offset, so that's the reason I think.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Right, so i was thinking if you get the same offset of the clamps from the 2001 bike on your bike do you think it would handle the same? I not an expert on clamps so i am not sure but it sounds like it would work?

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
Finally a fellow dutch dirtbike rider!!
I dont really see the sence in buying another bike just yet i think that your '99 YZ would still be faster than the '02.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
I dont really see the sence in buying another bike just yet i think that your '99 YZ would still be faster than the '02.

I agree with this to a certain extent. I think you would be faster on your 99 than a 2002 just because you are more adapted to the bike and you know how the engines reacts and the power, clutch etc...
But on the other hand i think that the 2002 overall would be faster than the 99. (staock anyways and probably modified) If you do get the 2002 and do get a feel for it i think you would be faster on the 2002.
Marc

326mx

Mar 25, 2002
Well I have a 99' and I absolutely love it. But i can't offer too much info cause I can't get anyone to let me test ride =(

Rev_iT

Mar 3, 2002
I was faster on the 2001 YZ125 the first time I rode it. I like my bike a lot, but I think a more 'aggresive' bike would fit me better. My bike is too smooth. The 2001 bike was a very 'aggresive' bike, because it also was tuned a lot. Because of that, my riding style was a lot better. I'm getting a bit lazy on my bike sometimes. On the tuned 2001 YZ125 I rode a lot more aggresive and the adrenaline was pumping through my body. I don't have that feeling with my bike. BTW: They tuned my bike to make it smoother and have more power on low-end and midrange. The previous owner of my bike had that done by a local tuner.

Y2Z are you from Holland to? In Dutch:
Zeker toevallig dat hier ook eens eindelijk een Nederland zit:) Waar rij je trouwens vooral? Ik rij meestal in Ermelo.

SiCnTwIsTdYz

Apr 10, 2002
i got a 2000 yz125 and it kicks ass thats all i can tell ya basically i rode a 2002 and box stock it had more power than my 2000 i really liked it, but my 2000 is good enough for me yet, i got a pro-circuit pipe and silencer, RK chain, vortex sprockets 13/49 (one tooth up from stock 48), renthal bars, twin-air airfilter, excel rims, and it runs stron i think im also gonna buy boyesen power reeds and re-build the top-end for the 3rd time soon :)

Rev_iT

Mar 3, 2002
I think I forgot something important. I only ride in soft terrain, because I live in Holland. That's why I want midrange,topend power and not lowend,midrange power.

Top Bottom