MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
My bikes clutch actuator arm ( the one under the ignition cover) has been popping out of position, when checking it out, I found that the clutch basket has a lot of slop in it. I removed and inspected the parts and they all look good except the basket has some minor scrapes on it where the center hub has rubbed on it. The bushing and the bearing that the basket ride on have no wear. I can move the shaft that the clutch assembly mounts on up and down enough to cause concern. I think it is an internal bearing in the center case. Has anyone had a similar problem with a KX?

I change my oil one to two rides and use 80w MTL Maxima.
Bike has about 17 hrs. I think it's a part failure, feels like the bearing the shaft rides on is loose on the left side.

kawdude

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2003
I have 94 KX500 and this bike also had the same sloppiness on that clutch shaft. I replaced the left case bearing and the center bearing (both bearings that support that shaft) and there still is wiggle there. I wonder if Kaw leaves it a little loose for heat expansion. I think your bike is too new to have this problem. :)

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
This is not normal slop, I got a good amount of metal shavings in the gear oil. You can see where it gouged the basket pretty good. It's definetly not from lack of maintence I change the oil every ride or two. This problem just suddenly happened I agree it should be too new to happen but never say never :) Did any of you guys with the '03's have any problems I sure don't recall anyone having any.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
update:

The bearing on the left side did infact go out, causing excessive play in the clutch shaft. Which in turn caused the end of the push rod to break talk about a clean break! I thought it was two piece's till I looked at the parts daigram. You can see threw the case window the freeplay you can see like how bad it really is. The bearing is toasted lucky I can't see any other damnage I'm waiting on some tools to show up IE flywheel puller. The clutch parts could use some smoothing up also now I can see there's some excessive casting that needs cleaning as well. You guys might want to check into this!

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I finally got the chance to get the cases split and sure thing the bearing is toasted along with quite bit of damnage to the case as the bearing spun in the case. Tons of debris nicks on a few of the tranny gears. Here's a link to some picks of the parts that got some damnage. Btw what's left of the bearing the bag is all that came out! Yes those are shavings in the bag. http://photos.yahoo.com/motoxbear it's on the only folder with pic's.

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
What the???

That's an o4? When did you buy it? That should nt be happeneing to a bike that new... what gives with Kawasaki? That's a doggoned crime. Do you have any recourse with the dealer or is it just bad luck.

At least you can do your own work so that should help out with the cost. What can you do with the case, anything? Is the bearing seat ruined? What a shame.

I'm thinking about slpitting the cases on my nephews 91 KX125... what tool did you use to split them? Do you also need a tool to put them back together?

Best of luck on repair costs... that's sucks especially considering how cogizant you are of changing oil and really caring for you machine.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
yup that's an '04 all right I have max 20 hrs on the bike been great up till just recently. I'm taking it down to my local kawi dealer today to see if I can get something done. I might not have much luck cause I bought the bike in canada, but i'm on good terms with the my local kawi dealer we'll see I'm bringing the parts into them today to show them first hand. I don't think this should of happened on a new bike I think this is a manufactoring flaw when the bearing was pressed into the case it damnaged the bearing race. Used a case splitting tool.

syko

Jan 10, 2004
I'm in no way a pro mechanic and I'm really learning my way around a bike. but I got myself a KX125 2004 too. I;ve been having a few problems with my clutch/gear change too.
not sure of it is anyway similar to the problems your having but I find that getting into gear, especially second is really really difficult. The whole gear box feels so tough and when i changed my tranny oil it had metal shavings in there too.
I've litterally only just broke the bike in. I'd say about 2-3 hours on it and i'm really worried about it. i have very limited mechanical knowledge so I guess i'm pretty much screwed.

Why didn't i buy a honda?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The 04 KX125 should shift really well from new-the one i rode was only a hour old and it was like butter.Take it back to the dealer and explain to them what the poblems are, most good dealers will sort out issues like this.

kickstartkx

Mod Ban
Jun 7, 2004
dont even think about buying a honda!!! I have a 2004 kx 125 too and love it, its broken down now but i got alot of hard hours on it, hondas suck in my opinion

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
My kx has been fine since i've rebuilt it when it ate the input shaft bearing, it now has around 30 hrs of good moto race/practices on it. I have a problem with over revving it alot and do my fair share of power shifting under a load. I'm going to check just in case now this week to see if all is well inside, it does make me mad to find out the '05 has new cases for more bearing lubrication and the bearing is 2mm's bigger. Btw anyone know of a good cheap way to get more over rev outta this motor? gearing is outta the question going to a 50 rear be too much loss off the bottom. Reeds maybe other than stock?

Top Bottom