patentpending

Oct 10, 2006
Yeah, my family recently bought 3 acres out in the country, and in one of the buildings was several OLD dirtbikes, including this 1979 yz250(not completely sure thats what it is). It seems to run pretty good, it was used for competitive racing back in the early 80's, and then after 1 season it sat until this year. After a quick carb cleanup it does run, and it goes pretty damn fast for it being so old. however, there are a few problems I'm having. First, the stock pipe was rusted out at the bottom. it is very loud right now, even after a quick fix(peach can sliced down the side and 2 hose clamps:)). However, it doesn't have very good lowend power. On a gravel road starting from idle I can run it all the way through 1st, 2nd and 3rd and get no roost anywhere. It does have IMMENSE rear tires which may be part of the problem, but then again it doesn't wheelie either unless I rev it all the way up when stopped and drop the clutch, then it goes straight up. I'm thinking that:
a. I need to clean the carb and
b. change the timing

the spark plug doesn't foul, and it stays pretty clean.
also, there is 1 hose coming from near the carb that just ends right above the shifter, and if you tip the bike to either side it leaks gas from there. I would also like to know how it is cooled. Unfortunately it won't let me put a picture on here which is totally gay.

patentpending

Oct 10, 2006
also, I uploaded a pic to the site so if you do a search for vyamaha yz250 it should come up. and one thing i didn;t mention is that it takes up to 30 kicks to get it to start if it's been sitting for over a week. however if i run it for say 20 minutes, put it away for 3 hours I can come back and start it first or second kick if the engine is still somewhat warm

wirefryer#85

May 26, 2006
Well, us Washington'ians gotta stick together :) .( most of my kin is down on the river, around Longview and Kelso way

Yank the carb, either cook it and replace everything that ain't made of aluminum or get a brand new one for probably less money.

Pull the fuel petcock and clean the screen gizmo that rides inside the tank,clean and/or replace.

I have a couple buddies, who, back in the early '90s' had the bike we're discussing (one also had a '78') and all where brutal fast but didn't handle all that great.

Flush the tank out with carb cleaner if it smells like turpintine when empty.

I had no luck on the search of the pic.

1979, air cooled.

On getting a new pipe or better pipe, maybe some of the guy's up your way could help, like Britt Boyette who hangs around this forum. Might try dirtoverstock.com.

Bad idea to run around with a rotten pipe, pistons and cylinders hate it!

Luck!
Tim

82'yz100

Uhhh...
Sep 23, 2006
for one it has to be a yz because u said it was fast so it can't a rm bacause the rms in the 70s where all noise got smoked gby the old honda mopeds that went 45mph.for 2 the two strokes don't have timing chains they have power valves.The hose is the overflow it is cooled by the fins on the hole cylinder.

Top Bottom