Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
those "peaky things", I believe, are the replacements for the rythm section... there is now a series of15ft high peaky "jumps" about 25-50 feet apart.... if they are table tops, they are the shortest ever: the tops are not more than 5 feet before you have to dive down the far side.... I call them a roller coaster... most riders do a "hop" across the top; very few jump #1 and #2 ... the third one leads into a left hand turn, then into a step up and a right sweeper before the back table tops along the grass field.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Thanks for updating us un-goers Pokie. :cool:

Racer77

Sep 29, 2005
the offroad track had really good dirt! my dad and I rode the track with the new KTM's. it was a blast! you had to watch out for hanging vines ;)
there was some muddy places around noon time but most of the places dried up by the afternoon. My dad said he noticed that the dirt had gotten softer the second time we went around. it was fun and challenging! my dads favorite bike to ride was the 400 exc and I liked to ride the 250 ex and the 400 exc.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Man....this is killing me. First time for me to sit on the outside looking in at Dirtweek. Keep the updates coming Pokie. It just aint the same without my yearly feeding from Nat., Eddie, and Randy. Chicken fried steak....Alligator sausage & boudin...marinated tri-tip.....oh I miss it.

oh yeah, I miss the riding too..... :ahhh:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
:cool:
CAL said:
oh yeah, I miss the riding too..... :ahhh:
They have riding at Dirtweek???? :)
I tjhought it was all about eating, benchracing, meeting new people, eating, cooking chili, campfires, and did I mention Eating

Pokie great updates but lets see some pics and did TonyEeds introduce Okie to his favorite nurse :aj:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Question:
How did Okie hurt his foot at the 500? Don't quads have guards in front of the footpegs?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
DWreck said:
I think that's his hair.

Papakeith said:
Question:
How did Okie hurt his foot at the 500? Don't quads have guards in front of the footpegs?

It's almost like being there. :rotfl:

burlap

Oct 3, 2005
had an awesome time at dw,hung out with bartram and cook those guys rock.My boys improved their riding style big time,they have been chatterboxes ever since we left.Thanks for the opportunity to ride at dw hope we can come back soon. burlap

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
so here we are running the kids' PokerRun on the Beginner's track when suddenly we hear a splash..... e all turn around to look at the red retention pond, but only a helmet sticks out of the water, barely above the water line.... it seems there was a bike underneath this creature, but it was totally submerged. After hilarious giggles and oohs and aaahs it became evident a "newbie" had mistakenly assumed the grass would continue uphill toward the track. Apparently he was airborne over the retention berm, realized too late that the other side was not friendly, stoppy-ed but ended up in the drink! cheers for Donny!

But first things first, first pictures, video and more pics, then a chain and a quad (utility type is allowed at DW for occasions such as these) to help this fellow out......... Wardy did the honors and pulled the bike and a thoroughly drenched Donny McClain (friend of Nikki and Buko138, IL) from the red sea..... We tried to get Donny to repeat the feat for the cameras, well ,just like General McArthur on his amphibious landing... but he was not convinced that it would be worth the effort...(what a shame I can't insert a pic... need that adapter to upload from the camera...)

So how do you dry out a bike? how did Pastrana do it after his leap into SanFrancisco Bay?... a hair dryer?....

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I guess THE MAYOR will now be known as the submariner. :ride: Oh I can't wait to hear this story when they get home :laugh:

I can laugh because at Casey for the 2nd DW I came close to this feat also as Patman witnessed I was able to save it by about 6 inches :nod:

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
fromthe track you can at least see the pond, but coming from the pit area, the pond is not visible until you are right on top of it..... or IN it, in the case of Donny...

todays menu also included:
Barrel Race
Poker Run (adults)
Tag Team

tomorrow am: Hare Scrambles...and lots of open riding...

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
hey, a friend of mine who didn't know about dirtweek wanted to know if he could just show up, pay and join in the activities. he's got a couple of kids that ride too. he's not a drn member yet. somebody let me know quick, if its okay. thanks.

i'm heading that way tomorrow after work! :cool:

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
mx547 said:
hey, a friend of mine who didn't know about dirtweek wanted to know if he could just show up, pay and join in the activities. he's got a couple of kids that ride too. he's not a drn member yet. somebody let me know quick, if its okay. thanks.

i'm heading that way tomorrow after work! :cool:

yes indeed.... we had several walk-ins already.... come on over

welcome!

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
ok...here is one pic of wet-back Donny...

Attachments

• DW-05-DonnyInRedSea.JPG
    DW-05-DonnyInRedSea.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 177

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
Here are DRN Mom (aka Shiftless) and new friend and mother of Elk, Maria, motoring over to Camp Tejas, the kitchen of choice during this year's Dirtweek... oh yeah, Patman says the food is safe..... and while you're here, try one of them there mini-bikes...

and that crime scene is at the doorstep of the police station where Elk operates..... who do you suppose is the "model" for Thump's fancy artsy work on the ground?

Attachments

• DW-05-DRNMom-ElkMom.JPG
    DW-05-DRNMom-ElkMom.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 173
  • DW-05-ElkCrimeScene.JPG
    DW-05-ElkCrimeScene.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 175

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
BYTHEWAY..... next week you'll start seing more pics of DW-05 than you might ever wish to see. There were lots of camera sportsguys walking around snapping pic after pic after pic.... I have been doing mostly 'video' of all the goings-on...

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Pokie said:
ok...here is one pic of wet-back Donny...
:rotfl: Nice, and the photgrapher got a pic of Donny's good side. . .

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Ahh.....the memories! Poor Donnie.....LOL! After he got the "sub" back to the pits, he changed the oil, and got the air filter clean and it fired right up. A few oil changes later it even stopped making mocha! One other note, Donnie recieved the coveted "Best Crash" award for that little stunt, and prolly has one of the best DW stories ever. I can't wait til next year!

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I didn't get a shot of Donnies approach, but here's a good one of the landing! LOL!

cooperland024.jpg

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
...and the next best crash was Mike Folse (LA) who came up short on the freestyle ramp and barely made it onto the landing; he endoed down the red dirt ramp.... dusted himself off and continued to ride...

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Man.... I couldn't believe when I saw Donny's head pop up from the pond. What a goon!

Here's a shot of a local doubling up the first two tables/humps in the rhythm section. You can't really understand the full effect, but it was amazing to watch (very little margin for error).

Attachments

• 100_2603s.JPG
    100_2603s.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 68

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
nikki said:
Here's a shot of a local doubling up the first two tables/humps in the rhythm section. You can't really understand the full effect, but it was amazing to watch (very little margin for error).

I ended up sitting there for a good 30 minutes watching him churn out laps.

If you come up short on that any, it's definately going to be painful.

I'll stick to rolling that section, thank you very much. :ride:

Top Bottom