KAWIDUDE-1

Feb 3, 2005
Hello Everyone,

I've been riding an 03' KX250 for the past few months. I recently got the chance to take it through some fairly tight technical trail rides, and found myself wanting some low end torque, and a less aggressive powerband. Now, don't get me wrong, I love takin my 250 out on some not so technical trails and havin a blast. But I've found myself riding more technical type trails and I am considering purchasing a 4 stroke. Now, I the largest 4 stroke I've ridden is a crf230 and thought it lacked power, for those who ride CRF250R's do you think they would fill my needs? I love trail riding, jumping [Even though I'm not going very big yet, 10-15ft of distance and 3-5ft of height at the jump I'm currently learning on] and hill climbing. For all those that have gone from a 2 stroke to a 4, is it worth it? How is the maitenance on a 4 stroke motocrosser? Thanks in advance.

Ruff Rider

Sep 14, 2004
I think most forget about all the things one can do to a 2-stroke to tame the power and control at what RPMs the power shines at. The four stroke craze is in full swing but ive seen many who after trying one go back to a 2stroke.

If your KX fits you well (size wise), I would just modify it. Maybe youve had or havent but a trying different exhast system can make huge difference. Go for a pipe that is ment for an increase in low-end power/torque. Try a flywheel weight. A common misunderstanding is that the weight will help low end power. This is false. What it WILL do is smooth out the 'hit' and help the engine from stalling out. This really helps and is an almost must for any 'MX' to tight woods conversion. Another big help is changing the number of teeth on your sprokets. By changing this, it really helps the accelleration but it also loses some of its top speed. Search around for recommendations for your bike.

I think that all of these upgrades are already done to most of the woods bikes owned by DRN'ers. Although these upgrades will cost approxamately $600, you will save by not having to buy a 4stroke whos cost has risen due to its newfound popularity.

If you are not interested in doing those modifications, I would check out KTMs or GasGas. Both offer execellent 2stroke woods weapons out of the box (no upgrades needed except for extra protection- skid plates, extra strength radiator gaurds).

Good Luck
Brad

KAWIDUDE-1

Feb 3, 2005
Thanks for the response. I believe my bike fits me well size wise, I am approximately 6'0 and 160lbs [15 years old, so I still think I'm growing]. I did forget about taming my bike. The reason I am thinkin of going 4 stroke is because I might have the possibilty of getting a fairly good deal on an 05-06 CRF250R. With that said, if I can get a good deal, I would probably buy one. I feel that if I give up the peak hp of my 250, for more usuable power over a wide power band, I should be in fair shape for the trails. Is this wrong? How well do the 4 stroke motocrossers do in the trails? The types of terrian I enjoy riding in are : Trails. Some jumps [Nothing really big yet], Hill Climbs, and the occassional back road.

rlp1

Jan 18, 2004
Well, I just moved from riding my dad's '99 YZ250 to a '01 YZ426F. The 426 has a HUGE amount of torque at the bottom when you need it, but the powerband is nice and smooth, and it sounds nice too :cool: . Only thing I don't like is the complexity of the engine. I have to go in and check the valve clearances and camshaft chain tensioners and all that stuff pretty soon, since we just bought it.

I think a CRF250R would suit you, but since you're used to the 250's power, try out a 450.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Don't compare the crf230 to the other 250's. They are night and day, when it comes to power. CRF250R, you can't go wrong there, they are the most popular bikes for woods racing. You may want to look at a CRF250X. It is made specifically for technical riding/trails. But it may not be suited, suspension wise, for big jumps. A 450 might be a handful in the tight stuff, but your riding style/skill may be able to adjust.

KAWIDUDE-1

Feb 3, 2005
Thanks for the information guys! At this point I am still undecided, whether to tame my bike or go to a 4 stroke.I but I am keeping a close watch on the local ads now. I am thinking that a 450 is probably to big for me.My Biggest concern about buying a 4 stroke motocrosser is the maitenance.

binthedirtnow

Mar 29, 2005
If I were you, I'd try to keep the KX, leave it the way it is and consider getting a second used bike that is built and intended to be a trail bike. It's hard to make compromises on the mx bikes because they work so good for fast stuff that it's a bummer to change their character to something else. This is why a lot of people have a few bikes. Usually two will do: one for fast riding and one for more technical riding. When you approach it this way, you don't need to make a lot of compromises. Right now I have a kx 125 for fast and a klx 300 for trail stuff and they both work awsome for their intended puposes without changing their character too much. There's a lot of good enduro and cross country built bikes, 2 and 4 stroke, that can do all the trail stuff and a few jumps too, but as you start advancing your riding you'll want to have one bike that is more focused on going fast and your kx is that bike as it is now. :aj: If you can have only one bike, ktm mxc's are a good choice, most people that have them think they are great.
B.

Last edited:

KAWIDUDE-1

Feb 3, 2005
Only problem with that is I cannot afford a second bike. Good Idea though, As much as I would like to have two different bikes that specialize in their own areas, I cannot afford it :( . A friend of mine took a CRF450R out for a ride yesterday, he said I would probably love it. [He's also riddin my bike, and a couple other 250 2 strokers]. So right now I am really unsure as to what to get for a next bike. I would like it to be either a CRF250R ot a CRF450R. I would really like to take both for a ride, and to listen to alot of the feedback from riders of both these bikes, aswell as people who went from 2 stroke motocrossers to 4 stroke motocrossers.

killerbeez 75

Oct 26, 2004
I had an 02 cr250r that I traded for a ktm 520sx.The 520sx has very managable power and alot of low end torque.I thiught of it as cheating because I am not near as tired as I was on the cr.I ride 95% track out here in southern california and the 520 does great.It wieghs 232 lbs so it is compareable to the other 450 4t's with just more torque,which means you do not have to be on the gas as hard.For maintenance all you do is change your oil regularly and adjust the valves periodically and your fine,not that big of deal.I will more than likley NEVER buy another 2 stroke,just my preference.

JustinC

Apr 5, 2005
i had a 02 yzf250 and a 04 crf250r, although i ride mostly mx, they were both great when i took them for trail rides. I now have a 05 yz125, but i miss my thumpers, they are so easy to ride.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
binthedirtnow said:
If I were you, I'd try to keep the KX, leave it the way it is and consider getting a second used bike that is built and intended to be a trail bike. It's hard to make compromises on the mx bikes because they work so good for fast stuff that it's a bummer to change their character to something else. This is why a lot of people have a few bikes. Usually two will do: one for fast riding and one for more technical riding. When you approach it this way, you don't need to make a lot of compromises. Right now I have a kx 125 for fast and a klx 300 for trail stuff and they both work awsome for their intended puposes without changing their character too much. There's a lot of good enduro and cross country built bikes, 2 and 4 stroke, that can do all the trail stuff and a few jumps too, but as you start advancing your riding you'll want to have one bike that is more focused on going fast and your kx is that bike as it is now. :aj: If you can have only one bike, ktm mxc's are a good choice, most people that have them think they are great.
B.

how do you like your KLX300? i found one that im interested in at my local yammy shop. i do mostly trails and prolly do some hill climbing.

jmitchell

Oct 26, 2003
It's all about experience. I have rode both 4 and 2 strokes for years. Personally I can tell you that my YZ 250 2 stroke can put my 400 4 stroke to shame in the woods. The key to riding a 2 stroke fast in the woods is to let the lack of low end torque work for you. In most hare scrambles it is muddy and rocky. By riding a gear high you can keep momentum without spinning. With the new 4 strokes you have too much torque down low and as soon as you give it throttle you have a handful to deal with. If you choose a higher gear they want to choke and die on you. Why do you think most of the top GNCC guys are riding 250 2 strokes? The only reason you see any 4 strokes, is cause the factories are pushing them to recoup R&D money spent by increasing sales. Don't forget that you have to have a 4 stroke now to be competitive now because the magazines tell us that is what you need. Funny to watch James Stewart put lap times in last year on 125 as fast as a 450. Kinda blows the whole 4 stroke theory doesn't it.

Josh
2000 YZ250
2000 WR400
1985 ATC250R
1984 XL600
2004 Z1000

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Todays thumpers are as good as it gets! Don't be afraid of the maintenance for 4 strokes. You simply check the valves at intervals cosistent with the manual. You said you are trail riding and jumping a little. Point is you are not racing the bike. So you will not need to re-build the engine every time you ride it.

"With the new 4 strokes you have too much torque down low and as soon as you give it throttle you have a handful to deal
with. If you choose a higher gear they want to choke and die on you."

To me, nothing personal, this is an absolutely foolish statement! 4 strokes are very smooth in the powerband and will "hook-up" the rear wheel in almost anything! Rule #1 with 4 str in slimy stuff- when the rear wheel slips, gas on it and it will pull like a tractor out of it. By the way, 4str racing bikes are the most popular enduro/hare scramble wepons on the planet.

Top Bottom