Scotty99983

Dec 5, 2009
Hey everyone, got a little bit of a family dispute over this issue.

my clymer workshop manual for my 1990 RM250 says the mixture should be 20:1, i am running it on that mix or just slightly more 2 stroke oil. ill admit its a little bit on the smokey side and the plug shows it being oily.

my bro is sayin that it should have less 2 stroke oil in it more like a 32:1 mixture but i am totally unsure as to what is best. in my opinion if the manual tells you one thing then it must be right since its a workshop manual. but i would like a few more people on my side but please tell me what you guys think.

thanks

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
Your likely to foul some plugs at 20:1. I had a 91 RM and a 93 RMX and both of them were very happy to run in between 32:1 to 40:1 depending on the temps outside. Even at 32:1 plugs would get fouled at times.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
you'll get a hundred different answers. Just do a search and read for a week. But if engine is within specs and jetted properly, 20:1 is fine and won't foul plugs. My bike is supposed to run 20:1 according to manufacturer, but I run it at 28:1 and it is jetted properly for this mixture. A lot of people think 32:1 with modern oils is a good compromise and I think this is a true statement. But changing from 20:1 to 32:1 is not going to change a thing on your plug. Sounds like you might need to rejet a bit , your top end may be getting a little worn or your right side crank seal leaking a bit. But either way, pick a ratio and stick with it. That way, you can jet your carb accordingly and have one less variable to worry about.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Then stick by your guns. I like more oil. If you stay consistent, it is one less variable to worry about if you have to start troubleshooting a problem.

Top Bottom