Blue 250

Sep 5, 2005
I have a 02 RM 250 and am wondering how heavy of a flywheel weight I should put on it? I ride MX but it hits hard and has little traction, I'm looking to see what would I need to make it have as much traction as my 05 YZ250. I ride this sand track alot which has a lot of hills and I'm faster on my 05 because its so smooth and torquey and tractable. Would a Boyseen Rad Valve and a 9oz flywheel help smooth it out and have less wheel spin? I already have a FMF Fatty/Shorty and it was more broad but not enough.

Crash 142

May 30, 2002
I have a 2004 RM 250. I use it for MX only. I have a 6 oz. and a 10 oz FWW. The 10 oz. is on there now. I really don't think they do too much to lessen the RM's powerful hit. They do make it less prone to stall, but that's not a problem anyway in MX.

They help a little, but there has to be a more effective way. I'd like to hear what you find out. I'm sure a lot of people will suggest porting, which I'm starting to think might just be the most cost effective solution to the 'too much hit' of these bikes.

Blue 250

Sep 5, 2005
Does anybody really know what could fix this, I was thinking of trading it on an 06 RM 250 next spring? Everybody claims that these bikes handle good and I IMO don't like it. The front wants push or it really grabs and turns really sharp. It's not very predictable like my YZ. I feel my YZ is an all around better bike that I'm faster on and get less tired. I would buy another Yamaha but all of my Yamaha dealers are a bunch of crooks. My Suzuki dealer is really good to deal with and thats why I like them.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
I don't know about the 02, but the PC pipe for the 04-06RM 250 really helps take the edge off the hit and adds top. The drawback is it takes away a bit of bottom power in order to do that.

Gearing is a good way to lessen the hit, try 2 teeth smaller in the rear.

I felt the gearing makes more of a traction difference than a flywheel weight in the testing I've done.

ETS

Apr 13, 2000
My 01' RM is similar to yours. I had a 9oz. steahly installed and it didn't do much. I had eric port it for low-mid and that made all the difference. Flywheel wights don't do much when the torque isn't there to begin with. Once he ported it and got some low end in the motor then the flywheel smooths it out some. Definetely have eric port it for low end.

rm_dave

Aug 23, 2005
I ride an 02 RM 250 in a hare scrambles series and love it. The only thing I've done to it is a FMF Gnarly pipe. I hardly ever stall it with the factory fly wheel weight. Trade your Fatty for a Gnarly and see what you think.

Top Bottom