RAMHEAD

Sep 13, 2005
I have just recently got back into riding after 11 years and have been on a 2001 YZ426 which I had only rode twice and I just sold it so I want to buy a new 250 2-stroke which I will use mostly for trail riding and the odd time on the track. I have not been reading magazines either so I am not to familure with the shootouts but I hear that the YZ250 is probably the best overall bike what do you guys think I should get for a 2006. I am 35 220lbs in good shape and I am a fairly good rider but not over aggressive.

ruffryder19

Sep 14, 2005
The 06 YZ 250 is a great bike with the best overall package. the engine is really impressive, great throttle response and just pulls forever. I know it's been rated at the top in the shootouts for years. my second choice would be the 06 RM 250, I noticed that engine is pretty much a YZ clone.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
RM has won the shootouts the last few years, not that it means muchs. They are all so close that it really doesn't matter anyway, just pick your favorite color.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
karterron said:
RM has won the shootouts the last few years, not that it means muchs. They are all so close that it really doesn't matter anyway, just pick your favorite color.

I was reading an article and it did say something similar, something to the effect that to go with the brand that you are loyal to, get better financing with, better price, or have a good relationship with the dealer, they said the bikes now are so incredibly close it really doesn't matter much.

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
rodH said:
I was reading an article and it did say something similar, something to the effect that to go with the brand that you are loyal to, get better financing with, better price, or have a good relationship with the dealer, they said the bikes now are so incredibly close it really doesn't matter much.

I agree. Only a pro could tell the difference between the bikes. Us amatuers most likely will never reach the limits enough to now the difference from one to another. That said, go YZ. Only 'cause I like blue ;)

RED EXPRESS

Sep 16, 2005
I bought a new YZ 250 for me and a YZ 125 for my wife. I looked at all of them but the best dealer in my area is by
far the Yamaha dealer. I see the YZ 250 has one the Racers X shootout but I don't think any other magazines have done their shootouts yet. I an very happy with both bikes the 250 has an awsome motor and the forks are perfect this year.

johnnysuz250

Sep 28, 2005
I got a new 06 Rm 250 and absolutely love the bike. Unbelievable power from bottom to top. Suspension is great as well. My friend has an 06 YZ 250 as loves it. Both bikes run well and keep pulling. I think that either choice is a go. I chose the RM because the Suzuki shop here in town is great about stocking part and has wonderful prompt service. "Suzuki of Winston Salem."

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
johnnysuz250 said:
I got a new 06 Rm 250 and absolutely love the bike. Unbelievable power from bottom to top. Suspension is great as well. My friend has an 06 YZ 250 as loves it. Both bikes run well and keep pulling. I think that either choice is a go. I chose the RM because the Suzuki shop here in town is great about stocking part and has wonderful prompt service. "Suzuki of Winston Salem."

I'd love to hear a comparo between your 250 and 250F

RAMHEAD

Sep 13, 2005
overbore said:
what kind of octane do these bikes require now.
Thinking of a new suzuki or yamaha.
overbore
I use 94 octane fuel. I would pick the one that you would be more happy with your dealer as they are both good bikes but the blue one will be easier to sell and worth more down the road.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
dont forget the KTM250SX........

PAULRY

Mar 17, 2004
Gotta agree, the YZ is the best motorcycle I have ever owned. Good power, excellent handling and no mechanicl problems.

Maybe for your requirements, a KTM XC model might be a better pick, since you do not do to many track days, but take that with a pinch of salt since I have never owned a KTM or ridden an XC before.

jvfish

Dec 1, 2001
I have owned KTM's and Yamahas for the past 5 years. 250 is most definately the size to go with. The YZ is very versatile, but for woods riding the KTM XC would be a better choice. The Yamaha motor, although very versatile and smooth, is alot of motor in the tight woods. If you add a big flywheel weight and a G2 throttle assembly it is easier to ride in the woods. But, if you just buy a KTM XC it is already set up for exactly what you describe.

woods and the odd day at the MX track.

Top Bottom