6'3", 230lb, semi-beginner, trails in MO/AR

TheDude

Jul 15, 2003
Hey all, new to the forum. Here are some details. I am a 36yo and want to get back in to trail riding. I rode dirt up until 14-15yo and then owned a street bike for a while in my 20's. Last time I rode dirt was a single outing about 10 years ago in Chadwick, MO in the middle of Mark Twain National Forest. Needless to say, I was unfamiliar with the trails, not wearing the appropriate protection and riding my brother-in-law's RM 250....long story short...I took a spill and ended up with few stitches in a knee and hobbled around for a month.

That being said...might as well try it again!...just way too much fun not to....this time though, I'm saying to myself...pick the right bike and get to know it, buy the right protective gear, and go have fun.

Here are my thoughts.
1) I like to ride trails, not MX, not balls out blasting through the woods...been there and I suck at it. I'm thinking 4-stroke for low end power and manageable power in tricky terrain.
2) I want a light, manuverable bike. Some of these trails in SW MO and Northern Arkansas are very tight. Thinking 250cc.
3) Looking for a new bike vs. used. Thinking easier maintenance (maybe), little better technology and reliability, yet still I'm a bit price sensitive....would like to stay around a $4k range
4) I'm a bigger guy and don't want to have to significantly modify the bike day 1. Would like something that I gas up and go ride.

Anyone with suggestions.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
In spite of your thinking 4-stroke, I would suggest something to the tune of a KTM 200, 250, 300 EXC.

250cc 4-strokes just don't have the power to be fun (neither does the 200, but at least it's light and much less expensive than a proper 250 4-stroke (Yamaha WR250F or the one by Husqvarna)).

The RM (depending of year) is probably the most "2-stroke" of modern 250s, the ones made for enduro are much tamer in that they have very usable low-end.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I like your thinking Dude. The problem with dirtbikes is that you can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want a light weight 4 stroke then go with any of the newer breeds of 4's out on the market. The YZF or CRF. If you're looking for a good trail bike yet doesn't require such a high level of maint. then I'd suggest an XR400. Perfect for your size. A little on the heavy side but should feel light to you after coming off street bikes.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I'll second the XR400 so long as you honestly don't plan on "balls out blasting." I had one and it was a great woods bike. Loved it til I tried going
"balls out" and realized it wasn't up to the task. I am the same size as you.

Don't get me wrong...it will go fast....but it isn't a racer.

crustydirt

Oct 9, 2002
Originally posted by Anssi

250cc 4-strokes just don't have the power to be fun...

Interesting statement. I agree at 6'3'', 230#, a 250 4-stroke (DRZ, XR, etc..) might be a bit underpowered.

That being said at 6', 175# I have a blast EVERYtime on my old, heavy, underpowered DR250. So I guess a 250 four can be fun. It's all what you want out of the bike. I have no asperations of being the next Jeremy McGrath, nor do I need to be the fastest through the woods, to that end my DR250 suites me fine.

I ride with a few new XR400 and DRZ400. Those are excellant choices for woods riding, bullet proof engines, and the bikes as a whole hold up rather nicely.

TheDude

Jul 15, 2003
Thanks for the comments....still have a hard time believing a 400 is a good choice for me....yet, I haven't had a chance to ride a newer 400. I'm still leaning towards a 250. Thinking a 250 will be a little more nimble in the tight stuff.

I talked to Procycle in Columbia, MO and they want $4069 for a new DRZ250 and $4170 for a XR250R...both '03 models, out the door price excluding a $59 doc fee and then the title/sales tax in Kansas. Both sticker at $4699....Sounds like a fair deal. Any comments on the two bikes? Pros/Cons of one over the other?

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I am 6' and 220 without gear. I rode a 2001 YZ250F for over a year and it was great in the woods at my weight. I put stiffer springs in it and went one tooth up on the rear sprocket but that was it.

I had a blast on it racing MX too but I raced the 250 class and got pulled by the 2-strokes and bigger bore 4-strokes on long straights. It was still fun.

I think the 250F will have enough for your weight, it is easy to ride and you can grow into it b/c of its power delivery being so easy to adjust to.

Ivan

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
you can have a lot of fun on a 4 stroke 250, thats for sure.....but you may "outgrow" it and get bored eventually. The XR400s come in a detuned state new...and are very easy to learn on. As you become a better rider....you can really power it up without much trouble and less than $100.

nice used XRs can be had cheap....so if your mind is set on a 250...try it and see if you like it.

I liked Ivans 250f also and actually, I'd rather have it than an xr400.....but I don't know how much more maintenance (if any) the 250f would require since it is a race bike.

Last edited:

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
any year ktm300 with tall seat. I'm your size and ride a friends 03 yz250f. Nice bike, but a little flat for me. 300 gives you plenty of low end but will rip if you want it to.
father in law has an xr400, it's just way to small without enough suspension for all but really light riding.

you could get a clean 00 300 for around 3k and have plenty left over for good gear.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
father in law has an xr400, it's just way to small without enough suspension for all but really light riding.
:think:

TheDude, You gotta get what you think is right for you. I agree with the statement that you'll get bored of a 250 4 stroke like the DRZ or XR. At your size and the fact that you do have some experience on motorcycles in general, you'll want something with a little "juice" to it. At any rate...Atleast try to find someone who'll let you take a spin on a 250 before you spend the $$ on a brand new one, then see how you feel.

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
I'm not necessarily saying the 400 isn't powerful enough, but it's MUCH shorter and definately smaller than my 300. Doesn't have nearly the suspension travel of most bikes.

don't get me wrong, it's a great bike, he's got it street legal and will do some light street/desert riding, but nothing too serious.

I just think at 6' 3" he's going to be pretty folded up on it.

hlinar

Oct 21, 2002
My vote's for the xr4. I was off for 25 yrs and bought one last fall. It doesnt have the hit my 75 400 penton had, but the tractor like power, bulletproof motor and lack of maintainence needed are big factors as there is now more to my life then there was when I was 25. Mods to significantly wake it up are had for less than $ 50.00. they're called the "Gordon Mods" and are readily available here or othere thumper sites. Lots of power to be had for a little time and money makes it feel like i have a new bike. wheels in 3rd now.

HL

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but if you are not stuck on the 4 stroke idea, the kdx's are great bikes. They are light, pretty quick, very manueverable, and require little maintenance. It is IMO the best nasty/tight trail bike ever built, that is IF the trails are really actually tight. It still has the 2 stroke snap, but is very controllable and easily upgradeable. It will lug like a 4 stroke, and pull up on top fairly well. The 220 is more geared toward the super tight stuff and does not rev out like the 200, but has unbelievable torque. The 200 is a more giving bike, it will still give stump pulling power, but will aslo run on the more open trails. These bikes are much lighter and more nimble than the xr's. Both bikes however are stone reliable, and the xr may fit your liking better. Reguardless of which bike you choose, you may find down the road that it does not suit your riding style and habits. Pick one and if you want a change, sell it and go with one more your taste.
P.S. The kdx is right in you price range, they are $4000 brand new.

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
thedude -

it's all well and good to "get what you think is right for you," but you cannot base that opinion on nothing and expect to get the right bike.

1) you're huge. the only 4 stroke 250 that might credibly move you through the woods is a WR/YZF250. just get ready to stay on top of the surprisingly heavy maintenence schedule. even then, for a guy your size, the WRYZF250 is barely adequate.

2) disabuse yourself of the notion that only 4 strokes have "low end grunt." it is a myth, wrapped in a rumor, surrounded by a distortion. plenty of 2 strokes have good low end AND are very easy to control, like the KDXs, and KTM-EXCs/MXCs. the vast majority of two strokes are MX bikes, tuned for MX tracks, and tend to have very peaky power delivery. you'll find much the same thing for modern MX 4 strokes.

3) if you want "light," it's gotta be a 2 stroke. light four strokes are expensive and fragile.

4) lightness isn't all it's cracked up to be. it's important for smaller guys on race day, but for us big fellas it's not such a big deal. my 270lb XR600 is a bast to ride on the trails and only feels heavy after a crash or loading into my truck after a long ride.

5) at this point, it's a mistake on your part to talk yourself into or out of any bike. if you have freinds that ride, try their bikes. maybe a DRNer lives near you and will let you try his bike out. or a dealer demo. point is, ride as many bikes as you can. a 400 might just be right up your alley. who knows?

jeremiah

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by beer_stud_76

2) disabuse yourself of the notion

SAY WHATTTT????? :scream: :silly: :laugh:

patcrosbie

May 7, 2002
1) Man, Jeremiah really likes to number his posts. ;)
2) 2-strokes don't have nearly as much low-end unless you modify the poo out of them (like the factory off-road riders)
3) My dad's friend and our neighbor has a KTM EXC 300 and he is flat at HUGE!!! He loves it. He's said it has plenty of low end and he also just putts on trails.
4) The Suzuki DR-Z 400E is in my opinion the easiest bike to ride. Although it is very heavy (don't tip it over when you are tired). You can ride 2nd gear all day and then when you come to a hill you can either A.) Putt slowly up it, or B.) Twist the throttle and blast up it!
5) Hope this helps a little!

Top Bottom