craig0402run

Nov 3, 2004
Help...............first top end rebuild....

96 CR250 .
Have stripped the top end & my local shop will inspect & advise on necaessary replacement parts tommorow.

My concern is with regards to the dowels that locate the cylinder at the base. Should there be 2 or 4 ?

I have 2 .... the manual only shows 2 in the picture & the aprts diagram on Service Honda only shows 2 (but then it only shows 1 cylinder head nut & there are 6 of these. I 'll ask at the shop but would appretiate nay advice.

Thanks

kuritaro9

Nov 7, 2004
also,be really careful when you slide the cylinder back on.make sure when you line up the power valve linkage,that the pin is in the slot,i made the mistake before,and ended up replacing it.easiest way to do it is to put the cylinder almost all the way on,leave about a half inch gap,then use a scribe to lift up the top shaft and make sure the pin is in the slot.then just put the cylinder on the rest of the way... :cool:

craig0402run

Nov 3, 2004
thanks guys - i even got a torch last night & tried to look down into the crank case - just in case 2 of the dowels had dropped in there!.

It's 0725 am here now - just got up and was thinking about it all night !

Thanks again.

craig0402run

Nov 3, 2004
OK went to the shop yesterday & the bike has been fitted with a Wiseco Piston which is mint which was great. The bore was also in great condition.

Put it back together last night with a new small end, set of rings, circlips + gaskets. Now I know I've got 30 hours riding before I think about the top end again.........

Now those forks & that shock could do with a service.........

Thanks for your help ....

Top Bottom