acam67

Apr 1, 2002
i am fairly new to 2 strokes and have a ? about using amsoil series 2000 2 stroke oil. it recommends a 50:1. i currently use yamalube 2r at a 36:1 and get what i think is quite a bit of smoke. have also been wet fouling quite a few plugs. seems to happen if i don't let the bike warm up for 5 minutes or so. i am running an fmf fatty as well. do believe it has stock jet and reeds. '98 cr125.

1999RM125

Mod Ban
Apr 1, 2002
when u first start your bike up cold, and try to rev it, it should sound like shiat, and a lot of smoke should come out, but i always always wait till it sounds normal, and the smoke is almost all gone, then i go do a lap or so, at a medium pase, then i let her rip, i always use the belray stuff at manufactors sugested rate.

greaser

Mar 7, 2002
Acam67,
Check your owners manual for jetting information.I put a gnarly pipe on a year ago on my 250 and it wouldn't hardly run with stock jetting.
You will need to go 1 or 2 jets leaner on the main jet and probably 1 jet leaner on the slow jet( pilot). $10 to $20 investment.
This will stop 95% of your fouling problems.

See ya
greaser

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
My riding partner and I ran amsoil for the previous season, and are again this season. It seems to work quite well, very little smoke, and very little spooge. And it seems that we've had less plug fouling than usual with the amsoil. Give it a try. You got to experiment with different stuff to find out what you like...

CR307

Apr 12, 2001
I too am a Amsoil user.I am sold on it. But like atc3434 said, give it a try and if you dont like try something else.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Check out FMF's website (www.fmfracing.com) and search for jetting specs for your bike. YamaCRAP 2-R seems to run dirty. I'd stick with a 32:1 ratio for a 125. You should find a cleaner burning oil like Maxima SuperM. Good luck :)

TOTALL

Feb 21, 2002
acam67

I'VE BEEN RUNNIG AMSOIL FOR TWO YEARS.LAST YEAR I HAD A 96 YZ250 AFTER A YEAR OF RIDING TOOK THE TOP- END APART AND IT LOOKED GOOOOD :) VERY LITTLE CARBON BUILD-UP ON CYLINDER HEAD AND POWER VALVE.THIS YEAR I'M RIDING A 02 CR250 GOING TO KEEP RUNNING AMSOIL 50/1. LOVE THE RESULTS :aj: I AM ALSO RUNING AMSOIL IN MY SLED SAME RESULTS ALMOST NO SPOOGE VERY LITTLE SMOKE. :) ALSO IF A TWO STROKE IDLES TO LONG IT CAN FOUL A PLUG.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
The type of premix oil you run also depends on your riding style. If you race then I'd stick to a good synrhetic ester based, or castor based oil. If you trail ride then a good synthetic/petroluem oil with a low flash point is ideal.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
I also use Amsoil and think it is the best. If you ever tear a engine down you will know its the best also.......clean...very little buildup. Synthetics like Amsoil you can and should mix at 40:1 or 50:1. I believe in quantity vs. quality so thats why I split the difference and mix at 40:1. Synthetics are just that good though that one can use less in your ratios. But just remember..........changing mix ratios like that from 32:1 to 40 or 50:1 will actually be a "richer" mixture so it will not solve your jetting issues. Less oil means more fuel in mixture hence "richer". Not a permanent fix but have you tried changing one number down to a hotter plug? Beware this will lean it out though. Maybe try a different type plug like a EG, etc. with same heat range as you use now.

acam67

Apr 1, 2002
thx again. i did get the ams 2000, mixed it 40:1 with sunoco super 101 and moved up to the 8eg plug. i also changed the air filter (looked like it was painted with grease) and installed a fresh twin air with pj1 oil. heading out Sat for a run and see how she does then.

Top Bottom