NetRedding

Oct 17, 2005
I'm looking to purchase a new bike to putt around town in (looking to save gas $), to and from work, and light off-road riding. Electric start is a must. I've been looking at:

Yamaha XT225 and TW 200
Suzuki DR650SE, DR200SE, (RZ400S & DR-Z400SM are a little rich for me)
Kawasaki KLR650
Honda XR650L (also a little too rich)

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'7", 150#
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Not aggressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
In town and on some trails. Nothing hard-core.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
Not really. Had a Yamaha 80 with I was a kid, 20+ years ago.
5) Do you think you will race ?
Not a chance.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Minor stuff only. Not a tweaker
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
No.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
I've got local dealers with all the brands I listed above
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
Hopefully under $5K new (under $4200 better)
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I'm just a thirty-something guy with a few kids looking to have a little fun and using the gas thing as a way to talk my wife into it. I want something that will last and is fun to ride. Looking for opinions of the bikes I listed above, or info about other bikes. The only info I've found is that Yamaha's can have trouble starting when it's cold. Thanks.

KDXman_88

Jul 27, 2004
Out of those choices i would still personally go for the DR-Z400SM, i am no huge suzuki fan but that would be a sweet bike to ride around on. I dont know how much they are new but i am sure some new ones will be on the market soon enough and i am sure that is the one you will have the most fun on guaranteed!

Ruff Rider

Sep 14, 2004
the KLR is a beast and anyone riding that on serious trails better have some skill.

The XRs are pretty popular as far as Dakar/Rally XC stuff goes - you could go for a late '90s model and save some sweet mulah

Those Yammies are a bit underpowered for anything over 45mph

Is electric start that big of a deal or have uve never had a kick only bike?

KTM makes some awesome bikes (LC4, Duke, EXC)

NetRedding

Oct 17, 2005
Thanks for your help!

I'm leaning toward the Suzuki, even though it's more than I wanted to pay. I haven't checked out KTM yet (their website is not very informative), but my Suzuki dealer is also a KTM dealer.

rompnstomp

Jun 1, 2004
Find a 1-2 yr. old used KTM 400 and add the dual-sport stuff. Better yet, find one already done-up. It'll be the most dirt-worthy bike of the bunch and nothing you can't handle.

Top Bottom