James Miller

Jul 26, 2002
Well i've shot rifles and shotguns for a really long time...but I just bought my first handgun on wednesday. I wanted something I could shoot snakes and rabid animals with (we have a lot of both out here), so I ended up with a Smith and Wesson 9mm. Its an sw9p, if anyone is interested in looking it up. I got one that was "used", but it was never fired. The barrel has been ported, and it also has night sights on it. In case you aren't farmiliar with night sights, they are just like regular open sights except they are filled with some kind of nuclear materal that makes them glow all the time. you don't have to hold it in the light for the sights to work, which I think is just weird....but cool and useful at the same time.

This thing is a real thrill to shoot. It is definantly a lot harder to be accurate with a hangun than a rifle, but that was expected. Do y'all have any tips as far as how to become accurate with it? I am on a shooting team, but we shoot target rifles and I can't really use any of what i've learned there with the hangun.

Anyway, I just wanted to see who all is into shooting, and hopefully get a few tips.

James

1911user

Jun 16, 2004
Always "squeeze" the trigger never jerk it.
Focus on the front sight most of the time.
A consistent, firm, grip is important.
Find a way to safely dry fire the pistol; if it requires a snap cap to cushion the firing pin then get a few as they do wear out. If you want to become good with a pistol, spend at least 50% of the shooting time dry firing; make sure the backstop is safe!
Get some small weights (2.5 pounds or so). Every night, hold one in each hand straight out from your body for as long as possible; remember to breathe. Breath control counts for pistols also.
When practicing, repeat to yourself: front sight, squeeze, front sight, squeeze, front sight, squeeze, over and over. Good pistol shooting is learning good habits then practicing them every time you shoot.
IMO the best little fun-gun is a 22 auto pistol like a browning buckmark or ruger mark 2; they are just a blast to shoot and plink targets. Spend $10 on a brick of ammo (10 boxes x 50 rounds/box) then go shoot it! If you''ve got the money, learning to shoot a pistol is easier and more fun with a 22 than a 9mm. Unless you reload, the 9mm ammo cost becomes a factor.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
~d~ grabs a beer, sits in a dark corner and watches quietly

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
Handgun shooting can become as addictive as riding if you aren't careful. Luckily I have kept my collection rather small. I currently have a Loaded Springfield 1991A1, H&K USP compact .40, and a Sig P232. IMO, nothing beats a 1911. I just love the feel and point of the 1911.

1911user has some good advice above. Nothing will make you more proficient with your handgun than range time. I suggest taking a CCW class even if you already know the basics of firearms safety just to pick up some pointers that you haven't thought of yet. I struggled for a while in the handgun department before I learned the correct technique for holding it. It helped a ton!

I would also suggest looking into a concealed carry license even if you don't plan on carrying on a regular basis. It helps when transporting so you don't get hassled in case you get stopped by an LEO.

One more thing, join the NRA. Nobody does more to protect your 2nd Amendment rights.

Now head out to the range and have some fun!

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
it also has night sights on it.

Very cool. I shoot a Springfield Ultracompact with night sights. I would not buy a "carry gun" without them.

Do y'all have any tips as far as how to become accurate with it?

Good advice from 1911user. There is no substitute for lots of practice. A good grip is very important too. If you are right handed, push out with your right hand while pulling back with your left.

The 9mm is also a great gun for getting in a lot of cheap shooting. Shop around and you can find good deals on ammo. I used to have a 9mm but sold it because it did not fit my hands very well. Now I shoot a .45 and a .44 mag......much more expensive. I need to get into reloading. LOL!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Sig P229 ... interchangable barrels... 9mm, .40 and .357SIG :) If I'm not mistaken, the .40 mags can carry the 9mm as well.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Guns are scary....Who needs them?! Hey Pred, hand me that stir stick. :p

sorny

May 26, 2004
Yeah gotta watch the guns. I started out with a Taurus PT-92 AFS (like Beretta 92) and then got a Sig P230 SL (.380) and a couple of shotguns (12 gauge Mossberg pump and old 1930' s .410 single shot for squirrel). Then I decided I wanted to carry a pistol so I go and get my TN carry permit after taking the safety class and all that. I haven't carried much this summer (too damned hot to pack the 9mm) but during the winter I was carrying 90% of the time anyone saw me. No one knew either.

BadCRC

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2003
Northwest Georgia
I have to agree with the 1911 lovers... They are nice. I have a Beretta Cougar 8040, and a Springfield MilSpec 1911-A1. They are fun, be careful. And get your CCW, I'm glad I got mine.

Now when the cops pull me over they say ---- "whatcha packin!?!" :eek:

Instead of, ---- "do you know how fast you were going???" :|

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
I think there are a lot more than 10 states issuing CCW licenses. Probably closer to 40 (not necessarily shall issue though). Some problem states are Kalifornia, NJ, NY. I'm glad I live in VA. As of yesterday, VA is one of the most gun friendly states in the country. Now we just need to work on increasing the number of states we share reciprocity with.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
As I understand it "Shall Issue" just means unless you are a felon, mentally handicapped, etc., the state must issue a permit, ie; they can't deny a permit 'cause they don't like you :laugh:

And you are right, there are a lot more than 10, my bad.
http://www.packing.org/state/report_basic.jsp?search=shall_issue

OK acknowledges any other state's valid permit.

The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state. Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed carry upon the authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed firearm and license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid.

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
Okiewan said:
As I understand it "Shall Issue" just means unless you are a felon, mentally handicapped, etc., the state must issue a permit, ie; they can't deny a permit 'cause they don't like you :laugh: .

Yep, that's shall issue.

Okiewan said:
OK acknowledges any other state's valid permit.

I like OK's stance on this subject! :cool: That is the way it should be :clue: .

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
(peeking over the DRN counter top, seeing if it's safe or if the shooting has started yet )...I like guns and gun people....(quietly sitting back down, getting ready to duck and cover)... :rotfl: <----- i crack me and this guy, way the heck up!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
BadCRC said:
I have a Beretta Cougar 8040 :|
How do you like the Berretta Cougar?? I picked up the 8045 a few years ago, it jammed up a few times so im kinda leary of it, i took it too a gunsmith and had the problems fixed.. I feel very comfortable w/my 92fs, but even better w/my Glock30..
RIck

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
No prob in Kali, they gave ME one!!

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Okiewan said:
And you are right, there are a lot more than 10, my bad.
http://www.packing.org/state/report_basic.jsp?search=shall_issue

Yeah, Packing.org is a great resource. I have always kinda liked Vermont's laws (or lack thereof) regarding concealed carry.

Check this out:

"Vermont is unique in that permits are not required for carry concealed or unconcealed for resident and non-resident alike. Local ordinances vary, though. VT has no statutes concerning concealed carry, nor is there a specific statute that allows it. In the absence of a statute that prohibits it, then it is taken that there is no law against it".

:cool:

BadCRC

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2003
Northwest Georgia
rickyd said:
How do you like the Berretta Cougar?? I picked up the 8045 a few years ago, it jammed up a few times so im kinda leary of it, i took it too a gunsmith and had the problems fixed.. I feel very comfortable w/my 92fs, but even better w/my Glock30..
RIck

It works great. Every round that was brass has ejected perfect every time, no jamming, ever. BUT I have had it jam up on that blazer crap, those casing aren't brass, and the are pretty rough to the touch. I attribute that to the jamming that I experienced.

All in all, I am happy with it, and it is a pretty good size for concealment. :cool:

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Okiewan said:
Get your CCW ? What are there, like 10 states that issue CCW? OK is a "must issue" state :)

There are only about four or five states that don't allow ccw at all and then it breaks down into either shall issue or discretionary. Alaska and Vermont a permit is not required. Hey James have fun with the pistol and stay safe. Now where's my .45 there's a cat in the yard :yikes: ;)

Steve

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I've got a Beretta 92F which is a really great gun, I have the stainless one. I agree, they are much harder to shoot well than a rifle. I never got very good with it. And don't shoot much since I got back into dirt bikes. Ohio just got CCW, I'll have to get around to applying sooner or later, before they change their minds LOL!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
W/my 92fs ( and others as well) i keep the 3 sights lined up and my taget is kind of a blurr in the background.. Plus i practice moving the gun a bit and firing, place 8 1"dots on the target and squeeze of 2 rds into each one.. I need too practice drawing though..
Rick

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
My wife carrys a 9mm Beretta 92 (she loves the double action and auto-decock)

I carry a .45 Para-Ordinance P13 (cocked-n-locked, 185gr.+p Hydra-Shoks)

At the range, my P13 (w/ .45acp) is far more accurate than the wifes 92.

Top Bottom