john pearce

Nov 7, 2001
Hi all
I've just bought a new KDX220 and would like to run at 32:1 as Kawasaki recommend. The dealer has put in some Silcolene Comp 2, but the only oil availible locally to me is Belray H1-R or Belray SI-7. I have been advised by my local offraod Belray stockist that
H1-R would not be any good at 32:1 as I would get plug fouling (he runs Montesa trial bikes at 80:1 on H1-R).
So he recommends that I use Belray SI-7 which is fully synthetic. The Belray web site rates SI-7, but it would of course.
Can any of you guys please advise.

Cheers

John , in Portsmouth England :)

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
1- SI-7 is designed as an injector oil.
2- H1-R is also a synthetic oil.
3- H1-R will run fine at 32:1.
4- Don't take any advice from that idiot.
:D

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
without saying anything about the oils..

A trials bike is generally a slow revving machine, where a KDX is usually a fairly high revving machine.. With that in mind, you need more oil to get the same amount of lube into the vital parts in your motor..

Jon!

OLD-N-SLOW

Nov 21, 2000
Vic,LOL:) :)

John Pearce,
Typically the advice you get here is slightly more accurate than at the bike shop. Personally I think VIC is right on all four counts! And jon on the fifth.
Steve

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
This thread got me thinking

I don't know what kind of pre-mix oil the dealer used when he delivered my new KDX 220 to me (he gave it to me with nearly a full tank). The first time I went riding, there was still about 1/4 tank left (after my mellow riding around the block to break it in). I filled it up with gas/synthetic racing pre-mix @ 32:1. Would it cause any big problems if the dealer used mineral or vegetable oil based pre mix and I mixed it with gas/synthetic oil pre mix?

The bike ran fine, but I want to ensure I'm not doing anything that's going to damage my engine.

Thanks

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
From what I've read, pretty much any oil that mixes with gas, will be okay.. The problem could occur if you were using an oil injection system, and perhaps the castor oil in the bottom of the tank mixed funny with the hi-tech stuff your adding.. From what I've read it's not really an issue for pre-mix.. BUT, simply go for a ride, burn up as much of the old stuff as you can, then add the new mixture.. Generally speaking, the first tank of gas has more oil in it to aid in break in..

Change your tranny oil ASAP.. That's a must.. If your gonna get normal motor oil, the key thing to watch out for is the Energy Conserving rating. You DON'T want an oil in your clutch area with that rating.. Personally, I've only found a few CAR oils which don't have this rating.. I'd recommend simply getting a Motorcycle oil, as they are less controlled than car oils, and thus can be more effective lubricants without as much concern about the environment, which basically what it comes down to.

Jon!

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Bel-Ray Si-7 synthetic premix/injector oil

Originally posted by Vic
1- SI-7 is designed as an injector oil.
:D

Sorry to burst your bubble Vic but Bel-Ray Si-7 is a Synthetic premix/oil injector oil. Quote straight from Bel-Ray's website:

BEL-RAY Si-7 SYNTHETIC 2-STROKE OIL

Bel-Ray Si-7 Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil is a smokeless premium synthetic lubricant specifically formulated for the larger high performance air-cooled or liquid-cooled 2-stroke motorcycle engines. Equally suited for oil injection or premix, Bel-Ray Si-7 Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil provides superior anti-wear and deposit control.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Re: Bel-Ray Si-7 synthetic premix/injector oil

Originally posted by Durt Cycler

Sorry to burst your bubble Vic but Bel-Ray Si-7 is a Synthetic premix/oil injector oil. Quote straight from Bel-Ray's website:

BEL-RAY Si-7 SYNTHETIC 2-STROKE OIL

Bel-Ray Si-7 Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil is a smokeless premium synthetic lubricant specifically formulated for the larger high performance air-cooled or liquid-cooled 2-stroke motorcycle engines. Equally suited for oil injection or premix, Bel-Ray Si-7 Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil provides superior anti-wear and deposit control.

I don't see the word 'designed' anywhere in that description.
You haven't burst my bubble, you have only pricked it.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Well I think if it says it can be used for BOTH oil injection & premix then it is self explanitory. It even says it can be mixed within 20:1 & 50:1 ratios. BTW where does it say it is ONLY designed for oil injection???:confused:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by Vic
SI-7 is designed as an injector oil.

That's my story and I'm stickin' with it.

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
In my experience if it says anything at all about being suitable for oil injection it is a compromise formulation, and while it might work ok in premix, it would not be the most optimum oil for that application and would not burn as clean as some other oils designed for premix only. Not trying to start a flame war, just giving my opinion based on 35 years of dirtbiking. Happy New Year! :)

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
I switched to belray H1R @ 40:1 a few months ago from super m. So far I am very happy, the bike runs cleaner on the outside. We will see when the time comes for the inside..
Lew

Top Bottom