jwabram

Spammer
May 17, 2002
I hope this is the correct forum for this question.

I'm shopping for a dirt bike and want to get into racing. I assume the racing classes are determined by the AMA, but I can't find any definitions on them. I understand what some of them are because it's so obvious, but can someone point me to a resource that actually spells out the requirements for each class?

My apologies if this is a stupid question, but any help will be appreciated. I'm trying to figure out what class will be right for me.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
If you give us some information about you I am sure we can get you in the right class for District 17 (IL).
how old are you?-several classes are defined by age
what size bike-again certain bikes for certain classes
your experience?- since you are asking I assume you have never raced and probably want to start in C class or (if age allows) schoolboy.

jwabram

Spammer
May 17, 2002
I'm 31 and have never been on a MX track in my life! I grew up riding trails, jumping off creek banks and landing in the creeks. I crashed a lot but nothing too serious. The highest cc dirt bike I rode was a 175 and that was like 10+ years ago.

I've got a line on a couple of 250's I'm thinking about buying for MX. You are correct, I'm in district 17 and the closest track to me is at Wapella, IL.

www.us51mx.com

That link is what lead me to this forum and I decided to join to get some more information. I ride a street CBR954RR, but the kind of fun I'm looking for will get me in trouble on that bike. So, I thought if I got into MX, I would get my fix and be safe on the 954. I have ridden dirt, but it's been a while. Racing though has been my dream since I was a kid!

jwabram

Spammer
May 17, 2002
Dirt Bike Dave,

I appreciate that link you sent me. I was on AMA's site and I must have completely missed it. I was looking to form a street riding club though. Then, I was looking for AMA events in my area. Long story short, here I am. Looking to get into MX. I'm nuts.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
go to www.motobyron.com and they list results which will also give you an idea of the classes.
I think there is a +30 class in which bike size doesn't matter- but be forewarned there are some fast and serious guys in that class. Maybe check into 250 C class

jwabram

Spammer
May 17, 2002
Hey oldguy,

Thanks for the info. I'll check out that link. I assume that +30 is guys 30 years of age or older? That would make sense if that's the case.

I was leaning towards 250 C, but didn't really have anything to base that decision on. I want to be in a "forgiving" class so to speak. A class where someone could say, "That guy there just bought a dirt bike and thought he could race." But, it would be okay.

jwabram

Spammer
May 17, 2002
I'm going to practice at the track first though! I may not even race this year, but I do want to spend some time on the track.

MX GZR

Nov 8, 2001
Wapella is a good first track. The triples are not very big and are pretty forgiving if you don't make it. They have a 30+ B class that would be a good place to start. They are running this Sunday(the 26th) and the following Sunday. If you make the trip look me up. I'll be 155 in the 40+ class. ;)

MX GZR

Nov 8, 2001
250C would be alright but it is mostly kids and some can be a little crazy,not to mention the sandbaggers. The + classes are generally more laid back-still serious racers but most have to go to work the next day so not too crazy.

jwabram

Spammer
May 17, 2002
Sounds great MX GZR! I was planning on going down last weekend, but I was making audio recordings of "my" modification of the titanium stock pipe on my CBR." Almost got a ticket too. Another reason I want to get off the street for my adrenaline.

If have some friends that are interested in going down too, so there might be a couple of us. I'll look you up.

Do you race at Casey, IL too? I checked out their website and it looks like they have an awesome facility there.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
jwabram - Hey, great to hear of a new rider getting into MX. It's definately a lot of fun. I'm also a D-17 racer and can give you some info.

About classes - I would recommend +30B over 250C. +30B is usually a little smaller (like at the last Wapella race there was 11 in +30B and 22 in 250C). Also +30B guys usually are more concerned with safety since they have to go to work the next day. Some 250C riders are young wild kids :eek: Both +30B and 250C are D-17 MX classes, so every D-17 track will race them.

When you're ready to race - you'll need to sign up for D-17 ($20) and the AMA ($39). You can do that at any track on the morning of your first race day.

www.megacross.com has a bunch of good D-17 info if you click on the "District 17 Information" button. You'll find all the D-17 race schedules, tracks info (phone numbers/links), most race results, etc. If you want to check out some race stories and photos on D-17 MX racing - check out www.midwest-racing.com . You'll find a few stories that I have done on some Casey races this year and a lot of photos! Plus there are write-ups and photos from pretty much every D-17 track.

You're in a perfect spot! All of the D-17 MX tracks are within 2-2.5 hours from the Bloomington Area. Wapella, Galesburg, Casey, Walnut, Joliet, Mendota, Byron, Mason, Taylorville, Cayuga, Coal Valley.

Good luck! If you have any questions let me know :confused:

(We'll be racing at Wapella on June 2nd - #102 in the Women's class and #2 in the Open class)

jwabram

Spammer
May 17, 2002
Hey Nikki,

Thanks a bunch for the info! Thanks to everyone, I really appreciate it!

I read your interview Nikki on www.midwest-racing.com. Seems like for just starting out in 1998 you've really got your act together. Very impressive to say the least!

I'll be checking out the races this weekend and June 2nd as well. Probably most of the year truth be told. If I have a chance I'll say hey.

I'm already selling off some things I no longer need, so hopefully I'll have a bike within a month.

jwabram

Spammer
May 17, 2002
Update:

First of all, you guys/gals, rock! I'm pulling the trigger and getting a bike soon. Loan will be official in the AM. You guys inspired me enough to go to the bank and get some $$$. I don't need to sell my stuff, but I would if I had too!!

Thanks again and I hope to meet (some of you anyway) at the track soon!

JayDubya

Top Bottom