cchalmers

Jun 7, 2008
I am having problems with a sticky clutch on a 1981 RM100. After I warm up the motor I put the transmission into 1st (with the clutch lever fully engaged) and the motor stalls. It seems the clutch plates are sticking. I opened up the clutch and rebuilt it. The plates were rather sticky coming out so I squirted 10W-30 on each of them on the way back in.

Its still sticking though. Any ideas out there?

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
Maybe try a different brand/type of tranny oil. I had false neutral problems on my old bike until I switched to full synthetic for the bottom end. Not necessarily the same issue, but it can't hurt.

cchalmers

Jun 7, 2008
I am not sure what was in there previously but the bike was sitting for a while. On the change I dumped in regular 10W-30.

But the clutch isn't sticking anymore. I throttled before I engaged into first and this seemed to shear the plates away from each other. I wonder if it sits for a couple of days if it will stick again.

What oil is recommended?

TJSCOTT1977xr75

Mod Ban
Oct 4, 2007
believe it or not, a cracked clutch cover on this type of setup can cause this. it will let the cover flex and the shaft not fully engage. i had this problem on my 94 rm125

jjearl

Jul 19, 2008
when you pull cluch in, revv it really hard to get unstuck! if that doesnt work, thats probably* a normal problem! i have an aftermarket clutch and it sometimes grabs in first gear when idoling too!

digifox

May 25, 2006
89RM said:
This may sound stupid, but make sure the clutch is adjusted properly.

+1!!!

As for the oil use automatic transmission fluid..
TCI max shift works quite well*but its like $29 a gallon*

Since i went from 10w30 to the Automatic fluid i have not had a single problem from my clutch*Before i would have to hold the clutch in till it got up to Op.temp*
Now i just start-pull-pop and go :cool:

CRazy250

May 28, 2006
whats your idea of "rebuilding"? when i rebuild somthing i replace the parts that could be bad or are bad, not just reassemble it. if you reassemble a bad part its still going to be bad. im gonna say you have warped plates on the bike and i bet its in need of some new plates, so bite the bullet and buy some new plates and clutch springs, you wont regret it. and check the basket for grooves.... any pics of this rm100?

Top Bottom