tecumseh

Apr 14, 2005
Hello Everyone.

I am new here and new to riding. I just purchased an 01 cr250, I know nothing about riding this is my first bike and Ihope i made a good choice. It is in mint condition with a graphics kit fmf pipe vforce reed etc....i paid $3175 for it...a little high but it looks like it has never been ridden. I havent signed the paperwork till tomorrow so let me know what you think. I am just riding it for recreation and hope it is reliable.

Thanks

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
When you say "looks like it has never been ridden", make sure you don't base that on the graphics and plastic, because those are easy to change and give a fresh appearance.

Some better things to look at when trying to determine the hours on a bike are (since they are harder to do and less likely to be done when prepping a bike for sale):
  • Tightness of wheel bearings (rock the wheel side to side)
  • Slop in kickstarter
  • Any play in shifter
  • wear on frame and engine where boots rub
  • Underside of frame (usually only worn much on trail ridden bikes where rocks or logs are present)
  • Play in levers (my CRF clutch felt loose after 5 minutes, though)
  • Wear on swingarm and guide for chain
  • Swingarm bearings (move whole swingarm side to side)

For a 2001 in close to new shape, that sounds reasonable. I did have a time trying to get the 01 that I raced jetted correctly, though. I ended up switching to a Kehein (sp?) carb.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
those are nice bikes but that is a very high price. last week, i saw a new, leftover '03 cr 250 sell on the auction site for $3500.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
got my 03 july of 04 for 3200$ had original spark plug in it and the chain hadnt even been tightened the first time yet. that is new in my book.

ps make sure you get what you want the first time cause upgrading costs more in the long run if i was you i would look for an 03-04 possibly , for the suspension and resale if nothing else

bnorris86

Mar 24, 2005
I just bought an '01 a month ago. It is in great mechanical shape but needed plastic (sunfade). Don't ask they must have left it out for a time. I paid $1800 for it. Motor is tight and although suspension is way to stiff. Be careful on those 2001's as many have the 20" front wheel. I'm finding that for woods this is not the best wheel size. Its twitchy in ruts and does not turn well in the mud. Tire choice is also very limited. By the time I get a 21" front wheel and have the suspension softened I will have a lot more money into it. Other than that its a great bike after you get the jetting corrected.

ENJOY!

Brandon :ride: brap!!!

tecumseh

Apr 14, 2005
01cr250r

Thanks for all your help....decided not to buy that yet.....they lowered the price down to 2999.....is it better to spend that for an 01 with pipe, reed graphics kit silencer and this bike may have been ridden a couple of times. There is not a scratch anywhere...under the frame etc....no wear marks on anything. The frame is also polished. (or would it be better to buy the 03 for around the same price but all stock, and have to put the money in the extras?)

Top Bottom