youngrider

Sep 2, 2002
I am an experienced rider and have already had an 89 kx80 but its time for a newer bike. I have found to bike a cr80 and rm85 which one would be better I am 5'2 and about 110 pounds.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The RM85 has a power valve engine so it's going to have better low end. The CR does not have a PV so it's going to be weak on the bottom compared to the RM but my son's '03CR85 is insane when it hits. If you are going to race and can work the clutch to your advantage the CR might be the better choice but the RM has won plenty of races. We've added a 10oz flywheel weight but have not had a chance to ride it since the install to see how it compares because of a parts shipment we were waiting on. We should have a better idea of how that modification effects the CR over the Christmas break.

dan4011

Sep 12, 2004
well i own a cr80, and i have ridden a buddy of mines little brothers rm85, the rm does have alot better low end, but the cr has so much more on the top, for tighter tracks id go with the rm but if your just trail riding it depends if you like low end or top end power better, when i got some reeds, fatty pipe, and apowercore silencer it helped the low end alot
on a note- i just use my 80 as a pit bike
good luck

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
youngrider said:
is a cr80 expert faster than a regular cr80 because someone told me this and I wanted to know if this was true.

Actaully i just read the new "Mini Rider" magazine. (An affliate of Dirt Rider) And there was a comment made during the 85cc big wheel comparsions where the kid went on to say " The motor was slow, with the big wheels and longer swingarm, it weighed it down." But another kid said, "This things fast: its got good power and get-up!" I guess it depends on the rider and how they feel about it. The CR80 expert is the same as the CR80 beisdes the longer swingarm and larger wheels.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
youngrider said:
is a cr80 expert faster than a regular cr80 because someone told me this and I wanted to know if this was true.
Same engine so I can't really see it being a fact. Keep in mind if RC was on a CR85 Expert & I was on a CR500AF the CR85 would still be faster. :laugh:

youngrider

Sep 2, 2002
I ended up gettin an 03 rm85 with a few performance parts on it for $1500. I really love the power and especially the low end on this bike.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Congrats!

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The new CR 85 has changed quite a bit from the 2004 model. The head and cylinder are different. The exhaust pipe mounting area is also updated (YEA!!!!!).

The 2005 model is a strong runner. Low end power has been improved. I dont believe Mini Rider rode any of the bikes before writing the article. They coudl not have missed the honda updates.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom