sraser

May 31, 2001
While I was riding at the track today my chain shot forward and caused a crack in the casing. Basically there is a tiny piece that got chipped away right at the edge of the case where the cover bolts on. It is a very, very tiny hole, but I know that I need to do something about this. I am wondering what some different options or opinions are.

Here is the situation:

I was hoping to sell this bike within the next couple of months...I am finishing school and plan to travel for about 1-2 years, so as much as it hurts, I have to get rid of the bike. I know that the proper thing to do would be to replace the casing. I am not too sure exactly how compicated that is going to be, but from my understanding that would be a fairly expensive proecdure (am I right?) I am hoping that there are other (preferably less expensive) options that I can explore. I understand that anything short of replacing the case will lower the value of the bike (by how much, I am not sure...anyone?) but I am trying to see wheteher it would be better for me to properly fix it first and get a hgiher price, or to do something else to it and get less.

I am not looking for something temporary or anything that is going to fool a prospective buyer. JB Weld is one option that has been suggested to me, but I am not sure. It seems like that would work because the case is covering the magneto, and there is no oil inside and no pressure that will blow it out. Is this something that I should take into consideration? The hole is probably 4mm by 3mm (I might be able to post a picture, if that would be more helpful).

Like I said, I am not trying to scam anyone, but I am trying to see what would allow me to lose the least amount of money as possible while at the same time providing a good, permanent fix. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance....

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i had the same thing happen, i used devcon epoxy and it held up fine for a couple of years....

.....until some scumbag stole the bike!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by sraser
Let's say I used some sort of epoxy or JB Weld...how do you think that would affect the bike's resale value?

Not in a good way.

sraser.

Check around to see if there is anyone in your area that does heli-arc welding. Some of your local shops may have someone that does this. Drain the oil from your engine and clean the broken area with lacquer thinner or something similar. If the hole is as small as you say, they shouldn't charge you very much to weld it up. If the welder is any good, he should be able to fix it to where you can't even tell it was broken.

Much more permanent then JB Weld.

Just my $.02

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
If you ask nice, 89er will even make a house call with his welder, guaranteed.;):p

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by a454elk
If you ask nice, 89er will even make a house call with his welder, guaranteed.;):p

:scream: :moon: :moon:

Top Bottom