Chris_S

Nov 25, 2002
I'm absolutely in love w/ my CRF250R, it may be the greatest bike I've ever ridden. I've been a huge proponent of thumpers, and generally prefer their power characteristics, but lately I've been thinking about trading for an '03 or '04 YZ250. Why?

- Work, riding, and other things in life makes it very tough to squeeze in the maint. on my CRF. Seems like I could save some oil changing/valve checking time (not to mention driving it in for valve adjustments) by going 2 stroke. I've never done a top end rebuild, but I'd feel more comfortable tackling one than doing a valve adjustment, and it shouldn't be as frequent.
- The moderate power and awesome handling of the CRF has done wonders for my speed, but I'm now occasionally getting to the limitations of the engine (BTW, I'm 220 lbs.). I was working on a large stepup at my local MX track recently, and I could land on top of the stepup, but not clear the downside even w/ the throttle pinned. I had a CRF450, but don't want to go back since the 250F handles so much better, is more fun, and less tiring.
- I'm winning the Over 30 C class in my local hare scramble series, and expect to be in a "B" (intermediate) class next year. I've been getting mid-pack starts at best, but can work my way through the pack pretty well. I'm expecting that my power/weight deficit will be more critical next year in the more competitive B class.

Ever since getting into dirt bikes a few years ago, I've really preferred thumper power, sound, and lack of vibes...but it seems like there are some compelling reasons to at least consider a switch.

For those who've gone from thumpers to 2 strokes, how difficult was the transition? In terms of wearing me out, can I expect a YZ250 to be closer to the CRF250 or CRF450? Will the finickiness of jetting/fouled plugs offset the advantages of otherwise reduced maint. reqs.?

BTW, I've narrowed it down to the YZ250 b/c (a) it's the only 2 stroke I've ridden since childhood that I really like and feel comfortable on, and (b) a friend is willing to do an even trade on one w/ some nice extras, and I know he's as anal about maint. as I am (even more so w/ respect to appearance).

PAULRY

Mar 17, 2004
The switch from 250F to a 250 2 stroke will result in more power, a bonus for your weight on the start. I found the 250 four strokes more tiring than a 250 2 stroke for the simple reason, that to go a set speed that I could achieve on a 250 2 stroke required riding the balls of the 250 four stroke to set the same lap times. I had to push as hard as I could every where on the track. On the 2 stroke I could rely on the engine generating more speed down the straights than having to ride 110% in the corners.

All this is dependent on the rider. I am a Vet rider and prefer to take things a little more sedate than say teenage wipper snapper aimed on being the next AMA national champion and does not mind riding on the edge all the time.

Redrider

Nov 2, 1999
As far as my opinion goes, I would say stay with the Honda crf250. I currently have an 04 yz 250 with all the goodies on it, (steering stabilizer, oversized clarke tank, 11 oz flywheel weight, works connection skid plate, frame guards, and radiator braces). This bike has been nothing but trouble since I bought. The transmission sucks; it shifts like a farm tractor, you hit neutral everytime you up shift for 1 to 2. I took the bike to trade it in for a crf250 and the dealer wouldnt even consider trade because he said that the YZ 250 were not selling. So if that is any help to you there you go. This will be without a doubt the last yamaha I own. I will be on a honda in the near future. If you here of someone wanting an 04 yz 250 (7 months old) I will take 4, 000 for mine. Im located in Kentucky by the way.
Redrider.

JohnScott

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2001
I have two YZs an '00 and '01, ride harescrambles, weigh 220, 6'4" - basically the same situation as you. I've raced a KTM 400 and went back to the YZ because it's easier to ride fast in the woods, lighter and I consitantly holeshot the starts with the YZ. I don't have any issues with shifting but do occasionally with steep, rocky hill climbs. I have sent my cylinder off to Eric - turning it into a 265cc with low end porting - should help the climbing isssue.

I would not hesitate to go with the YZ ('01 is about the same as the '03, BTW). I have ridding CRF450s and KTM 300EXCs in the woods and feel that, overall, my YZ is better.

I hated the 4 stroke because of the valve adjustments and complexity of the motor. The 2T is just so much easier to maintain CORRECTLY, IMO. The woods suspension/handling can be addressed easily - email Jeff Howe at TrakControl Dynamics jhowe@pclink.com - he did mine and it's truely amazing.

John

Jeffro426

Mar 16, 2003
I just switched from a YZ 426 to a 04 CR250...and i think im already faster! The 4 strokes are nice, but their extra weight really wore me down...FAST! I could only do maybe 5-6 laps at full race speed before i had to sign off becuase of fatigue...with the 250, i can easily do double, almost triple that and am a second or two faster per lap to boot! I will definetly take you some time to learn the 2 stroke riding habits again(lots of clutch vs the 4 stroke roll on power) but i adapted within a day and am relearning all my 2 stroke habits.

ETS

Apr 13, 2000
I had a yz400 when they came out and my last bike was a 520 sx KTM. I picked up a new leftover 01' RM250 a few weeks ago and have fell back in love with riding. It's easy to start and feels like a feather compared to the big four strokes. My riding buddies have 250f YZ's and are great bikes but It's nice to be back to the ease of maintenance of the two stroke. Not to mention the suspension feels great compared what I'm used to. For some reason the suspension on any four stroke I've ridden doesn't feel as good as the two strokes I've ridden. Doesn't make sense to me but sure feels good on flat landings.

john3_16

May 17, 2004
I would go with the YZ250 2 stroke...You mentioned maintenance being a time issue for you so I would stick with the 2 stroke because it is much easier to maintain..

Redrider

Nov 2, 1999
I say go with the Honda cr 250. They are the most dependable bike on earth (in my opinion) I have a 1999 cr 250 and a 2004 yz 250. I had much rather ride the cr 250. I will give you this advice. What ever you buy make sure you have a good local shop with TRAINED MECHANICS not pretenders. Ask to take a look in the service area. Note the condition of the shop (cleanliness, orderly, parts counter). Trust me if you dont have a local shop that you trust, you will regret it.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Redrider, it sounds like you got a lemon. My 02 YZ250 has given me no undue problems. All around, it is the best bike I've ever owned. I just wish that they would put some foam on the seat and I'd be happy.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
i am also in the same situation. i also have a crf 250r and i am concidering switching to the two stroke. i really love the crf but i just cant do the maintenace that is required with it, i dont trust myself to do my own engine work and between valve adjustments and top ends, taking it to the dealer is just going to get too expensive. i rode a 04 yz 250 last week and i really like it a lot, the power was pretty broad and the hit wasnt to harsh, i would go for the yz 250.

sodflyer

Jun 30, 2004
Well, I can say my 04 YZ250 has had some issues although minor like a leaking fork seal and my plug fouling BUT I do live at 5800 feet or so here in Colorado so I have yet to work out the jetting...Otherwise I LOVE my bike! :) to be honest I have not ridden? a modern four stroke but form what I hear compaired to two strokes the maintenance issue will be alot less.. If ya lived near me I would invite you out for a ride.... Jeff.

Chris_S

Nov 25, 2002
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I rode a friend's '00 YZ250 tonight. The power and light weight were great, but I didn't feel as confident on it as I do on my CRF...it seemed esp. harder to hookup on hardpack (no surprise there), and the ergos didn't feel as good to me (bars too low?).

I'm riding w/ my friend who wants to trade his '04 Sunday, and I intend to mostly ride it then, at least until I make up my mind one way or the other.

Too bad I can't afford a FT mechanic to do all the maint. reqs. on the CRF in my garage...if it goes, I'm really going to miss it, just not alll the time spent changing oil, checking valves, and taking it for valve adjustments!

JohnScott

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2001
I wouldn't judge a bike based on how your friend's bike feels. You can modify the bike to fit your height by taller bars, bar risers, etc. In fact, I hate how a stock YZ feels. I'm running 03 KTM FatBars with 1.25" risers and lowered the pegs 1/2" - now it fits me better than any stock bike can. As far as the power output, put a 9 or 11 oz flywheel weight on it and it'll hook up fine.

John

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
i talked to a guy at the track last night who owns a crf 250 and his engine blew up and it was only ten weeks old. hearing that makes me feel sick to my stomach.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
There are always going to be stories like that. I have a CRF250 that I got in January and have been to about 7 races and go to the track at least once a week since spring. No problems at all. I checked the valves after breaking in the motor and they were WAY out of spec. Reshimed them and rode for 4 months, checked them again and the valves were still in spec.

Some days are diamonds and some days are rocks....

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
True, but no matter what, these are high-performance race engines with very high specific outputs (HP per cc of displacement). They WILL wear out and do so at a much faster rate than something like an XR. And when that time comes (not IF, but WHEN), it WILL be much more expensive to repair or rebuild. Why the four-stroke enthusiasts can't admit this fact is beyond me. Look at any four-wheeled motorsport, be it F1, NASCAR, CART, IRL, World of Outlaws, or whatever else. These all go through engines at a rapid rate and the one common factor to all of them is very high specific outputs.

There are no free lunches in life. This is yet another example of that universal truth.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
mtk said:
And when that time comes (not IF, but WHEN), it WILL be much more expensive to repair or rebuild. Why the four-stroke enthusiasts can't admit this fact is beyond me.

I agree, but there are ways to minimise your cost. If you keep up on valve specs and arent bouncing off the rev limiter, you should be pretty safe.

I'm going to attempt to go this entire season with just keeping up on maintainance. Come winter, then an entire rebuild. So if I do grenade my motorbefore winter, you can say "told you so!"

wireman

Jul 4, 2004
Try to find an 03 or 04 yz 250. The motor is awesome. I'm not brand loyal either, all of the newer bikes are really good and reliable. BTW , my last three bikes were YZ and no transmission trouble.

Top Bottom