schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
my bike starts,runs and shifts into all gears just fine, but it feels like the clutch is only grabbing slightly. when I give it gas, the bike moves forward slowly for a few feet and then it feels like the clutch stops grabbing completely and the bike ceases to move. I know there is an adjustment on the cable itself, and I am sure that is not it. I'm guessing clutch plates but it doesn't hurt to hear some more opinions. if it helps, the bike is a 1987 yz250.

thanks guys! :cool:

-Alex

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
a rebuilt bottom end. I got the bike in a trade, and the bottom end was packed with mud. so now my clutch actually actuates, and my bike actually shifts.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
is the basket still grooved? if not sound like a clutch pack to me

what oil did you put in it?

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
the basket is slightly grooved, but a file will fix that. I was told it was worn by the gentlemen who fixed my bottom end, but he seemed to think it would still work fine.
the plates have to be close to their life expectancy anyway, and they've been marinating in mud for got knows how long previous to my acquiring of the bike, so it sounds like I should go ahead and order them.
just figured another opinion wouldn't hurt.
thanks!

oh, and I used Bel-ray gear saver transmission oil

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
just asked about the oil as a buddy of mine seems to have problems with amsoil

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
I didn't really consider the springs, they seem fine.is there any way to tell if those need to be replaced too?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Some clutch kits come with springs. Measure the plates with a micrometer, sounds like warped metals though. Are they discolored? Are there any sharp ridges on your hubs outer edges, how about notches in the splines of the inner pressure? Make sure the basket nut is impacted on, and the washer replaced once in a while. Do not over tighten the spring bolts, them aluminum fingers break real easy. Change the oil a really lot. Vintage Bob

Top Bottom