Elkins Flat, Nor. Cal. April 12-14 2002

The Tortoise

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
Strick,

Didn't the map and directions I Emailed you help. I left directions only on this forum. Anyone needing a scanned copy of forest map just let me know. I can email it to you

spamoore@attbi.com

Strick if you are still not sure how to get there you can try to arrive at 8am as you suggested. After getting lost for 1.5hrs you will arrive at 9:30am. This would be perfect. (Ha Ha). I can email sections of riding map too. Forest service made a 11 x 14 of riding trails. I'd have to do this in sections and might confuse you. The directions I wrote are right on. The only think is spotting the spot. Maybe Mr WR can leave a sign like I did at Spangler Hills. I used a 2' x 6" white shelve on a stake saying the name of the ride. Then all you have to do is follow the paved road from PI PI (North South Road) till you see the sign on the left.

The "helpful" Tortoise

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
Strick, coming from your direction on hwy 88, the pi pi turn off is almost 1 mile exactly after Cooks Station then rt turn blah blah blah to the area. See you there.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I just spoke with the Ranger Station in Pioneer and the lady said the road to Elkins Flat is open - it's paved - but that she couldn't say what the staging area itself was like - it's dirt. She also said that there is still snow on the trails and that we may not be able to get thru some of them.

Also, PiPi camground IS NOT open yet.

Brian

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
PiPi Campground is a full service campground. It does not open until April 26th this year. Its opening date was scheduled long ago and has nothing to do with the trail conditions at Elkins Flat.

From experience speaking to forest personnel, it sounds to me as if the lady Brian spoke to has not been out there and is in CYA mode. Basically, it is go at your own risk and don't blame them if the staging area and trails are muddy and you don't like it.

Most of the trails at EF are below 5,000 feet, so I would be very surprised if they are impassible due to snow. Yes, I think there will be some snow visible and the staging area will probably have some mud, but I'm anticipating good to excellent conditions on the trails.

Unfortunately, I can only be there Friday, but conditions are extremely promising IMO.

Last edited:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Dave summed it up pretty good. I'll probably park my trailer in one of the more open/sunny areas as oppossed to under the trees where I was in October. If the ground is still pretty soft I don't like the idea of sticking a 20k lb truck/trailer combo......

The lady said PiPi will probably open the 19th. I mentioned that it was closed in case anybody was planning on parking/camping there if Elkins Flat was too muddy.

See you all on Friday. There is a meeting in Georgetown Friday evening regarding trail closures at Georgetown - I'm thinking about attendind since I'll be over that direction. Anybody else interested?

Brian

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Dirt Bike Dave, Dirty Dave & NVR FNSH sumed it up! No worries, should be an EXCELLENT weekend of riding!

Dirt Bike Dave, I"m still trying to swing off on Friday.........more to follow!

Rick

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
So is it 2 stroke weather or 4 stroke? I'll just bring em both, no sense just washing 1 bike. Should be there Friday morning to meet up with any early riders.

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
Dirty Dave is down for the count this weekend. The flu bug is kicking my butt. I have been trying all the usual remedies (the warm whiskey and honey is my favorite so far) but with little success. I'm not sure if some others of the OFO Racing clan will try to show. Have a good/safe weekend...

KXEric

Feb 10, 2002
I'm in, my sister doesn't need me to help her have her baby.
I have never been to Elkins Flat, sounds like it should be fun.
See you guys around 9:30am.

P.S. I think the Georgetown meeting was canceled, double check before you go.

Eric

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
I'll be happy to see snow after riding in the dust most of the year. I'm not worried about the conditions, it should be sweet. I'm waiting for an answer from my brother, to see if he's going. If so, we'll come up sat. morning. Probably be there about 8:30. Can't wait to ride in the forest.
Dave, sorry I won't be there friday, we'll see you another time.
Rick, the honor of the small bores is at stake once again. Now it's on our kind of turf. Arm yourselves desert dogs! :p

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Jim,
We'll have to hook up so you can show me around Clear Creek, sometime. I am REALLY looking forward to some awesome riding! Wish I could stay for the weekend but family commitments prevent it. Dang!

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Dave
I've got a 40 mile loop at clear creek that rocks! Everthing you can think of. We need rain before we go though. Hopefully later this year.

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Ohhhhh, man!! Dave, I thought you AirForce guys were TOUGH???? Soory to hear that your not feeling good!!

Les, save me a camping spot! I"m bringing some fire wood!
See you up there

Rick

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
You got it Rick. I'll put some stuff on your spot from last time, near fire ring. Taxes are filed, now I'm free to ride. :cool:

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
Friday at Elkins Flat

Is anyone going to be up there early on Friday? I can ride that day, but have to be home for the weekend. Family obligations.

UnkleMoose, I saw George at the Sawmill. We rode together on Sunday. Sorry, you weren't there. If you're there Friday, I'll see you.

Jim

The Tortoise

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
BigBird,

Dirt Bike Dave and Les (Frmnt Guy) will be there around 11am to 12noon on Friday.

I just got off Dave's cell phone saying I was probably only riding Sat and not Fri. If I changed my mind I would call him around 8 am on his way up. He will have his cell phone on. If you want to call him call me at 925 963-8451 This is my cell. I won't put Dave's on this forum without his permission. But I will give it to you if you call me. Dont' call after 10:30pm tonight or call in morning after 7:15am. Also my email is (spamoore@attbi.com).

Both Dave and Les are looking for more riders. I may still go. Just been riding every weekend and I rode 6 days straight last week in the desert. I feel like I go go go. I will for sure be there on Sat.

The "go go go" Tortoise
Doug Moore

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
hey, make room for zio. I'm trying to leave tonight, gonna sleep int he back of the truck. Red F250, white camper shell. Otherwise I'll pull in around 10-11 tomorrow. Any ideas where I should look to park tonight? It'll be late (maybe 1am), and I've never been there before.

Jim- call Kelly & guilt him into going. He's taking his chick to race the HHORA race instead.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Can someone PM me a cell #, if there is anyone left, so I can call if I get turned around.

Toitus - I have your's

I am really high maintenance, huh?

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Ha! That's nothing. I need my hand held to go pee.

If you want mine, it's (559) 287-4069. But if you're lost & call me, I make no promises. I'm about as directionally skilled as my wife is thrifty. ;)

Top Bottom