CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I have an 8-year old (XR50) and my buddy has an 11-year old (TTR125L). Would there be much ridding for the little guys? I have no problem leaving them home in NJ but I'd MUCH rather have them along. It's a long ride and I don't want them to be disapointed.

Gary

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Probably one time you could let them ride and not have to worry about them.  Plenty of younger riders at Dirtweek and plenty of eyes watching them.  Great learning experience for them as well.  A chance to meet really good people from all over the place.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
There's lots of youngsters. The kids even get their (our) own track :yeehaw: The kiddos will definately be safe. Everything is safe at DW, except for Tony's beer :p

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
Lsst year, I let my 11 yr old boy ride the track with the other kids, and he only came back to camp, when he had to PUSH his TTR125L, cuz he ran it out of gas three times while we were there!
Gary, bring those kids! but remember, when you go back home, it's not our fault that they wont shut up about the fun they had!

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Well count me in! I just checked out Cruise America’s web site and it looks like a Fun Mover will suit my family just fine. Damn, I hate having to anticipate a family vacation 10 months in advance.

Gary

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I think the kids end up riding more than the adults because they don't get caught up in all the bench racing and back slappin'.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I'm thinking external pods...

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
My son went the last 2 years. Hes 11 and talks about it all year long. Lets see, several days off school to go on vacation and ride the bikes on awsome tracks and trails for all skill levels. You will be considered among the coolest dads on the planet for this. Plus you can mention this as needed throughout the year as a reward for doing good in school.
Walt

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Gary, you won't regret bringing your kids to dirtweek. It's more than just riding dirtbikes, it's something you'll have to experience but be assured, your kid will never forget that week for as long as he's on this earth. The best part is he'll get to experience it with the old man. My daughter wanted to go back the next week and just live there, it's the way life should be, not a care in the world!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
hlinar the XR80 would be a great choice! I put my son (10) on one this year at his request and while it might be a little tall and heavy he's adapted just fine. DW was his first big outing on it and bey the second day he had improved a lot. As a matter of fact he rode so much on Friday that his arms were rocks and he didn't feel he could ride in the kids MX school so he just watched and listened. If your daughter is a big 11 then maybe a XR100, DR125 or the TTR125 would fit the bill.

I believe Jeff's daughter, Princess Tigger pilots a KX60 but that a SX65 might have been in her future. She is on the tiny side physically but is a giant in the personality department!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Thanks Patman!
yea, she's on a kx60 and is 11. About 4'2", 65lbs

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by hlinar
jeff, how old is your daughter and what does she ride, i have an 11 yr old and was thinking about an xr 80?

my eleven year-old daughter rides a big-wheel kx80. she is 5'-2", 96 lbs. she just came off a ktm 65 but was way too tall for it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
She's a sweetie Jeff!!! A darn good assistant flagger too!

My son kept talking about her on the way home and I said "Well now you have to wait until next year Romeo!" to which I got "WHAT?! I just wanted to go ride the track with her. GEEZ Dad!"

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
I am all excited. My son and I were planning on coming and then my wife was reading the forums here and now she and the daughter want to come too. So it looks like it will be the 4 of us and all the bikes. The only downside is it will require both vehicles for travel trailer and bike trailer. Unless maybe I could talk her into a new toy hauler...hmm, we'll have to work on that one.
Lew

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
There are also plenty of hotels in town and it's a 15 minute drive so if that makes it a more paletable solution......

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Is there a place where bikes & gear can be secured at night for those that go the local motel route? With an open trailer, the motel parking lot would be like hanging out a sign - take my bikes, please be my guest.

Gotta get one of them RV's...

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Jayhawk - TTRguy is right, leave your gear at Cooperland even if you get a motel room.  Gear is the last thing you have to worry about.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Your stuff is safe at Cooperland. I don't think anyone locks their stuff-up? I know my bikes, gear, tools, etc., were never put away :)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Ditto. With sarge running around doing night ops, things are definately safe, except coolers.;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom