myfirst125

Jun 10, 2007
My college roomate gave me his 1994 CR125 for free. Catch is, crank bearings went, chopped up the piston as well as head. Cylinder walls are fine...going to split the case, and take a look inside. My guess right out of the box is new Wiseco rebuild kit ~ crank, bearings, piston, rod, and seals $250. New head, $52 oem, new engine gasket set $50 oem. What else should I have to worry about when splitting the case, can any of the debris get lodged in transmission? What else should I do with the engine when it is opened up? My first bike and first rebuild, but i am very knowledgable to engines.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Welcome to DRN!
You shouldn't get debris in the trans, as long as it didn't put a hole in the case. But as long as you have to opened up check the gears and shift fork for smooth operation. Good luck.

myfirst125

Jun 10, 2007
basically check to see if the fork is straight and true correct?...any idea where I will find the fork and what it looks like?

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Its the fork looking thing that slides the gears side to side, to change gears. You may want to buy a shop manual for your bike before disassembly, I use mine all the time for silly how does that go together questions.

myfirst125

Jun 10, 2007
I will definetly do that....however, what are the risks of splitting a case yourself? how exactly is it done, and are there shims and stuff that will fall out as soon as i open it up? Leaving me with the question...ummm where does that go?

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Never saw any shims,but yes ummm where does that go can be a problem, hence the shop manual.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
From the WoodsRider "been there, done that" files:

There's no such thing as a free bike. A good rule of thumb on free bikes is $100/year-old and a month of work for every year-old upon receipt. So a '94 = $1200 minimum and 12 months of work.

A "free" bike can also be a wonderful learning experience or a horrible nightmare. Take your time, do it right and make the project a learning experience.

Top Bottom