250motoxer

Apr 13, 2002
I am considering adding a flywheel weight to my kx 250, as I ride all trails... Any suggestions on type, where to buy ect? I saw the one that Steahly offers, very nice looking piece, but $$$... 100 bucks seems pricey for a trial and error tuning device... Any suggestions? (other than, don't be cheap....lol)

250motoxer

Apr 13, 2002
hmmmm....so your telling this cost consious guy to spring for a big bore kit? tempting... Any other opinions on flywheel weights?

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
I think it really depends on how tight the trails are where you ride. I have a Steahly 9 oz. FWW on my '01 KX 250 and like it. However, like Senior KX, I have an Eric Gorr modified engine (265, Mo Better porting). I didn't try the weight prior to the mods so I can't tell you how good it is on a stock KX. I did have one on a stock ’99 CR250 and it helped quite a bit.

I can tell you in tight stuff it helps prevent stalling, not all the time, but most. The heavier you go the more it helps with preventing stalls. There is a trade off however. With a heavier FWW (over 12 oz.) your bike won't tach up as quick. In some cases this is a good thing, like for traction. In other cases, like getting the front wheel up in a hurry for creek or log crossings it may not be a good thing. Again, it depends on the terrain you ride and the weight you choose. The 9oz. doesn't prevent me from getting the wheel up when I need to.

Overall I think FWWs are good and worth the money. That being said, I would spend a few $$ more ($125 for porting) and send your cylinder to Mr. Gorr for his porting service. It makes a big difference and the best money I’ve spent. I honestly didn't know what to expect from the Mo' Better porting, but what I got was a motor that pulls from the crack of the throttle to WOT with no hit. Perfect for trails! ;)

I plan on removing the weight to see the difference since I put it on when I received my mods from Eric. I'll post the results here and maybe the info will help you decide.

BTW, if you order the weight, get the lock up tool also. It's a plastic tool that threads into your spark plug hole, contacts the piston and prevents the engine from spinning while you install the weight.

Good Luck,
Scott

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
Lancaster Sport Cycle in Lancaster Ohio sells one with interchangable weights. Around 100.00 I think is the price.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom