Mx Dude

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2000
Sounds like another riding area will be effected by fire. Don't know the exact location of the fire, but it started very close to the Hungry Valley riding area. Keep your fingers crossed.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I was beginning to wonder if this was a new eco-terrorist ploy---there sure are a lot of recreation areas on fire right now! :|

EM rider

Apr 27, 2001
I called the Hungry Valley ranger station yesterday and they said Gorman is open and likely to remain open. They said the biggest risk is a significant shift in the winds. Call before you go up there just to make sure nothing has changed. Phone # is 661.248.7007

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by ktmboy
I was beginning to wonder if this was a new eco-terrorist ploy---there sure are a lot of recreation areas on fire right now! :|

I was thinking the same thing, I Cajon fire was set :| 5 different places

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
We went down to Ontario yesterday and from what's visible from the freeway, Cleghammer is toast right now. :whiner: I'm glad I got to ride it a couple of times before it burnt up! :think:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Boy?

Don't worry. You will be suprised how fast the area will recover from this. After our fire the whole area looked like a moonscape. About a year later, there was all kinds of new growth and it completly recovered in about two years.

Take advantage of the situation. Now is the time to cut new trails. You will notice that the fire has opened up a lot of areas that were previously too laden with brush for trails. Also, you can probably see a lot of animal trails now that you didn't know were even there.

With careful planning and trail construction you could make the area even better than it was before the fire. The bad part is trying to keep out the people that will think they can just go anywhere. This could turn the singletrack trails into freeways.

A little police work on your part might be needed to remind these kinds of people where to ride and most of all, where not to ride.

Ol'89r

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by ktmboy
, Cleghammer is toast right now. :whiner: I'm glad I got to ride it a couple of times before it burnt up! :think:

I went to Apple Valley today and came home on the 138. I went up the road on the other side of the RR crossing. It looks like only the lower 25% of Cleghorn trail burned. I obviously couldnt see over the far mountain but it looks like they might have stopped the fire before it went over. There were also a few trucks with trailers stage at Cleghorn and the 15. The signs arent marked closed so maybe they will leave it open. I would say chances are slim but im keeping my fingers crossed.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom