Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Brianc.... Thanks for the effort and consideration for the 1st of the month, maybe with this much advance notice I can wrangle a time swap with my relief on the drilling rig. I usually ride Tres Ritos, NM in the 1st to second week of July, but am ready to try something different this year

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
Hey all,

I floated then abandoned this idea awhile back for 2 reasons...
1) It didn't seem like I was getting any cooperation from the Forest Service and I didn't have time to work on it.
2) I'm starting a business on the side and it's keeping me pretty busy, which is good.

However. if you want to organize informally (and thus avoid any FS issues, they wanted me to get a permit, etc.) that is okay by me.

One big thing...Hell's Angels is holding a rally here. I think the dates you've picked would run into that bunch. And I wouldn't want my family around then. I will check the newspaper and post.

Dan

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
CO Dan-----thanks for pluggin in. Informal gathering sounds great to me. Let's just do it. See who shows, and hope the weather cooperates. Hell's Angles? Is that really a worry? They are probably just big happy tourists like everybody else. And maybe the rangers will concentrate on them on the main roads, and not on us in the back country.

We did have some other Colorado riders willing to help. HELP! Where's Colorado-High, and Rodzilla and any other members that know the area. Let's get this thing going, at least informally. We strangers to the area would like to have some riders that know the area, and can give us some guidance. Hopefully camping (and lodging) will be available on an informal basis. Time to get this rolling.

If it's not going to work, I'd like to know soon. So would many others. If I know this Taylor Park thing is going to tank, I'll be heading to my usual places in Wyoming in June. But need to know. Thanks for everyone's help.

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
For those interested in riding in the Gunnison area this summer, here is some general info -

* General info – Gunnison is located in the south central Rockies at 7,700 feet. The Gunnison Valley, including Gunnison, Crested Butte, Mt. Crested Butte, Lake City, etc. has a population of about 13,000. The nearest town of any size is Montrose, about 60 miles east of Gunnison.

* Weather – If this summer has the usual weather, then starting about the middle of July there will be afternoon thundershowers, typically with heavy but brief rain periods.. Highs I suppose around 80, lows around 35-40 I think. You can check weather at www.weatherunderground.com

* Fire Restrictions – right now all open fires are banned in the county. If we get good rains that may be lifted. It is very, very dry.

* Legal stuff – Out-of-state residents who bring OHVs into Colorado must have an OHV registration from the state they reside in. If your state does not have an OHV registration program, you must purchase a Colorado non-resident OHV permit. OHV's registered in their home state are required to purchase a Colorado non-resident OHV permit if they will be in Colorado for over 30 days.

For the sake of the sport, have a reasonably quiet muffler with a spark arrestor!

* Camping – There are many formal and informal campgrounds up Taylor Canyon. I don’t know if you need reservations or not. Contact the Forest Service 970-641-0471, or see their website (address below).

* Hell’s Angels – will be in Gunnison from July 25-29. There are expected to be about 500 HAs plus perhaps 1,000 or so family, etc. They will be staying in motels in Gunnison and holding rallies there.

I have no idea if this presents a danger to anyone, in or out of town. My family will be out of town during the days they are here.

* Riding areas – the prime riding area near Gunnison is Taylor Canyon, which has many miles of single track and jeep roads for all levels.

* Maps – USGS and trails illustrated maps are useful for using with a GPS. The most accurate map, showing more or less everything, is produced by Lattitude 40. You can buy them on the web (google search for lattitude 40) or buy them at local. However, the scale is wrong for working with a GPS. You might also check www.thundertrail.com to see if their map of Taylor Canyon is done yet

* Other activities – rafting, fishing, rock climbing, hiking, ATVing, jeeping, playgrounds for kids in Gunnison, horse back riding (Harmels resort with horse rentals), …

* Lodging – many motels in Gunnison, 1 small resort (Harmels) part way up Taylor Canyon, some cabins to rent at Almont (mouth of Taylor Canyon).

* Website for general information
Gunnison Chamber of Commerce - http://www.gunnison-co.com, Info on business in the area.
The Gunnison Country Times - http://www.gunnisontimes.com, The weekly newspaper in the Gunnison area.
Gunnison Weather Report - http://www.weatherunderground.com/US/CO/Gunnison.html, from the Weather Underground. About as good as anything you'll find, this is what I use.

* Motorcycle dealers in the approximate vacinity. Note: Except for Davis, these are small dealerships.
- Sun Sports of Gunnison – The only dealer in the Gunnison area, sells KTM dirt bikes (my choice!), Yamaha and Kawasaki dirt bikes and ATVs, and Yamaha and Polaris snowmobiles. They are really good with high altitude jetting questions. Their number is 970-641-0883.
- Davis Service Center of Montrose - A Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha dealer of everything that moves. Just 60 miles west of Gunnison, in the great riding area of Montrose, CO. Their number is 800-551-1107 or 970-249-8161.
- Timberline Motorsports of Buena Vista - Located 65 miles east of Gunnison. This dealer sells ATVs, snowmobiles and motorcycles. 719-395-4272
- High Country Connection of Salida - Located 65 miles east of Gunnison. This is a Kawasaki dealer. 719-539-6168

I hope this helps. I will try to provide information when you have questions.

Dan

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
The dates we informally picked were: July 25-28. Same time the Hells Angles will be there. Does anybody think we should change dates? Still time to adjust this thing, I think.

W.P.EXC

Nov 30, 2000
Those guys won't be in the mountains, they will be in town at the bars doing burn outs in the parking lot! :aj: ( don't tell them I said that ). Unless you plan to stay in town you probably won't see any of them. But I could be wrong. :think: On second thought maybe another weekend would be good. :) What about the next weekend which will be the first weekend in August.

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
Well my wife has finally decided that she wants to do the Bicycle Tour of Colorado for the 3rd year in a row. The good news is that the ride starts (7/21) and finishes (7/27) in Gunnison. So, what I'm saying is that I'm hoping this Spodefest is going to happen because there's a good chance that I'll be out there then. So, is it a go or is it a bust?

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
Hey folks,

I'll try to answer any questions that you have...

First thing I'd recommend is contacting the FS to see if you can reserve camping spots. The number is above.

Taylor Park Reservoir, sort of the center of things, is about 9,350 feet. You can plan on running from 8,500 feet and up to 12, 500 or so.

I know some of the trails in Taylor Park and will try to ride some more.

Ask away, I'll try to help.

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
Sounds like a hell of a time. Late July/early August works for me. I'm easy - all I need is an excuse.

I don't know much about Hell's Angels - I did see an article about it in the Denver Post this past weekend. I'll try to pull it out and see what they said.

I could imagine a few tanked up HA on Hogs riding off road.. :eek:

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
FWIW, I am not worried about being bothered will off-road or any where up in the Taylor Park area.

However, your family may wish to visit Gunnison or Crested Butte while you are riding.

My family (wife and 2 daughters) will be out of town during the HA visit.

Just a precaution.

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
I found it....Denver Post, Sunday May 19, 2002, section B, page 4.

They claim that upwards of 400 of Hell's Angels top brass are visiting for what equates to their annual corporate meeting. Each of the 146 HA chapters will send 2 reps ....they expect as many 1,500 HA to be present. Gunnison has 5,000 people according to the paper :eek: :scream:

If you saw the news recently, they (HA) had a shoot-out in Nevada three weeks ago. The also state that Gunnison was chosen because it has no law requireming permits for large gatherings on private property. They evidently are looking to establish a Colorado branch.

I could go on, but I now vote for the first part of August. I'm sure the HA are just fun-loving, law-abiding citizens, but I rather avoid the congestion.

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
I've got some unexpected surgery now planned in the near future that may screw this whole thing up for me. So I won't pick any dates. I'll just try to be there on whatever dates chosen if possible.

Maybe we need to bring sidearms......? (just kidding).

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2000
For the uninitiated, the word PARK in forest park in in the Mtns of CO means a flat place. It is not a huge forest service place. About three miles up river from the lake is a USFS camp and another further up is called Dinner Station. The road is pretty good for a while and is usually passable. The term Canyon, is not a canyon as most people think, but is the same place as Park. The area is pretty flat and about a mile wide in the canyon/park and has few trees, mostly short grass and bushes. It is a LOOOOOng way from Crested Butte, and a good distance from Gunnison. Hells Angels will be no threat to anyone at Taylor Park.
We camp at the town of Pitkin, south of Taylor, in the woods. We used to go to Taylor a few hundred yards up river from Dinner Station, but it was much wetter and colder there. The rangers started making us move 200 feet out from the river becuse they said their was too much polution getting into the river, BUNK.
The mountains around the park are a fantastic view. There are many trails and two tracks to be ridden, some hard, some not so hard, and some down right scary. There is much riding south of the park. Sergants was mentioned and is a good place to ride, but it is a long ride from Taylor to get there. We trailor our bikes to Longbranch, and still get a full days worth. Sorry for being so long winded. Spark arrestors are a must, unless you have 200 bucks laying about, and you must get the permit if you are not tagged and do not have a current permit from your home state. They do allow riding on the gravel county roads but no untagged bikes on the paved roads. It is a good plan to get liability insurance for your bike. If the county mounty stops you, he will probably let you go if you have proof if insurance, 300 bucks and a night in jail if you don't.
There a many many bikes there already. Rooms are rented in March or a year in advance. You will be very lucky to find one today. If I can be of any assitance, e-mail as I don't get into DRN as often as I should.

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
What about "dispersed camping" in the Taylor Park area? The term, at least in the Wyoming National Forests, means camping is allowed a specific distance from the roads (rivers) usually off of old two-tracks. There are no camping facilities with this kind of camping and no cost, usually. But you have to follow specific rules. Is there such a thing in CO?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom