Help me pick a Play/woods bike for a big guy

rocket1243

Jan 3, 2003
Hey everyone, I'm looking at purchasing a couple of bikes one for myself and one for the wife. I'm pretty sure the wife is getting a XR/CRF100 so no real questions for her, but I on the other hand don't know what the best choice for me will be.

I'm 27, 6'3" and 240 lbs so I can flat foot anything. I'm an avid sportbike rider who has given up the street and now only rides at trackdays. I started riding at 11 on a KE100 then jumped to the street at 14 (legal here in Alabama) and have been riding ever since. I can run a fast pace in the intermediate group and can run in advanced without getting run over, and I know this has nothing to do with dirt bikes but I'm just trying to set the stage.

Anyway I'm looking for a bike to ride trails with and just generally have a fun time on. I won't be hitting any MX size jumps but knowing myself I'll try and jump something.

I'll probably have about a $1000 in the wife's bike so that'll leave me with about $2000+/- for mine.

I'm not partial to 4 strokes or 2 strokes.

I'm kind of thinking a KDX200 might be the way to go but worry that the suspension won't be up to my size. I'll probably have any bike I get resprung for my weight so that might not be an issue.

So please give any suggestions as to what you think would be the best bike for me.

Thanks!

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Although not jumping bikes, you may find a proven 4-stroke within your price range. The Honda XR400, maybe even a DRZ/KLX400. At your size though, either bike will need a couple hundred invested for springs...front and rear.

georgia_tom

Feb 22, 2008
whats up fellow southerner, a wr250f would probably be good for you. they are bikes made for the trails, and that is probably a good size for you. anything big like that would be good for you. just find a bike in your price range, with atleast a 250cc displacement and get it, like i did. i just gotta '03 yz250 for about $1900. i was just going for whatever i could afford, and that happened to be it. by the way, it is my very first dirt bike ever, so i have to learn on this beast.

hip66

Dec 28, 2007
We are similar size and I bought a KDX200 after reading lots on this site and others. It has plenty of plenty of power for the purpose (play riding on farmland and trails with the kids) and is inexpensive, parts readily available etc. Try one on. Good luck!

rocket1243

Jan 3, 2003
Well I ended up with a 04 WR250F. The bike is in great shape with really low hours and is completely stock. Going to have to get the bike resprung and revalved for my weight but other than that the bike is great.

Top Bottom