SideCut

Jul 18, 2005
Howdy Folks, I'm a noob to mx, but not to bikes. I've been riding sportbikes for about 5yrs now and have always wanted a dirtbike. I recently purchased a 2000 Honda CR125 and know nada about 2 strokes. I've heard the powerband(not quite sure exactly what that is) is really powerful on these bikes. I'm about to get some gear...helmet,gloves and boots, and then get started on working on the bike. I didn't realize there were some probs with it till after I was home. For one, there is a fuel leak around the carb area and there's also a leak around the front brakes, not sure if it's coming from the brake lines or the forks. I bought some books about riding and working on it, so hopefully it'll help. I plan to gather as much info as I can from here also.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Hola!

The fuel leak is likely a float or float valve sticking and the oil on the front is probably a leaking fork seal. If you do a search through the forums here, there should be plenty of descriptions on how to check / fix those.

Make sure you get that gear before you being tempted to ride that thing without it!

BTW, what sportbikes?

SideCut

Jul 18, 2005
My first streetbike wasn't a sportbike, but was an eduro. It was a Kawasaki KLR250. I then got a '98 Yamaha Seca II. It was kinda of a wanna be sportbike...had the looks but not the power. I now own a '04 Yamaha FZ6 that has some of the looks of a sportbike, and can hang with the big boys anytime. Real good all around bike.

I've already found some good info on hear about working on the bike. Most of the lingo is greek to me, but I'm sure I'll figure it out soon enough. Thanks Ya'll!

SideCut

Jul 18, 2005
High Lord Gomer said:
Cool! How similar are the ergos on that to the FZ1?

They both have the upright riding position. Which is real good for long rides. All the guys I ride with (they all have clip-ons and are leaned way over) are usually shaking out the numbness and pain outta their hands on long rides. I'm real surprised they haven't updated the FZ1 yet. Maybe some new plastic, digital tach and speedo, EFI. I thought I heard something about them discontinuing it, but don't qoute me on it.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site :cool:

I see where you have gone to your User CP and updated information relating to your location. Grab a spot on the couch and tell us a bit about yourself.

As far as your questions, check out the General Bike Repair forum for good info and great folks always willing to help out, answer questions or just offer support.

BTW - Where are you located? MS is Mississippi, but O.S. has me stumped. Check out the Southern Spodes forum for opportunities to hook up with fellow DRNers in the SE US.

Again, welcome to the site and shout if you have any questions!

SideCut

Jul 18, 2005
High Lord Gomer said:
Hmmm...maybe Ocean Springs?

We have a winner!!!

Born and raised here on the coast and love it here. I did check the Southern Spodes and didn't find anyone close to me. This is a really cool forum that I know I'll enjoy. Thanks for the hospitality!!!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Boomer is down there on the coast near you and there is a pile of folks just to your west in Cajun Country.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Glad to see another street rider get into dirt riding. You will be amazed how much better you are on the street after a bit of dirt time.

The oil at the front is most likely the forks, the seals go bad quite often. The carb, as said is probably the floats. As for a powerband, all that refers to is a point in the rpm range where the power picks up rather quickly. If you are familer with dynocharts, this will be seen as a steep part of the line. In seat-of the pants terms, it means that say, you are plunking along near idle and hold the throttle open. The bike will accelerate slowly at first, then start to pick up a bit, and then somewhat suddenly, it will take off very quickly as you get into the rpm range that that engine likes. You could bypass all that waiting around by holding the throttle open and slipping the clutch just a bit or by downshifting.

have fun:)

BTW I've been riding dirt bikes since I was 12 and street since 18. Now have a CR250R and a TL1000S. do about 20k street miles a year and not nearly enough dirt.

SideCut

Jul 18, 2005
BP,
I've been told several times that riding dirt will improve my street riding. That's one reason I got into dirt. Thanks for the info!

Top Bottom