UPSMAN

Dec 2, 1999
Have a friend who is thinking about replacing the valves and springs in a 02 Honda 450. Intakes have been adjusted 4 times and exhaust once, he is having starting issues with the bike. Quoting him there is hardly any shim left. what is the recomended fix and is stock best or should he go aftermarket?

Help Rich i know your out there.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Doing a valve job and replacing the OEM parts with Kibblewhite stainless steel valves and the Kibblewhite racing spring kit with titanium retainers is the standard fix. It makes the cylinder head as reliable as the old XR heads.

Last edited:

UPSMAN

Dec 2, 1999
Thanks Rich i was hopeing you would check in, could you please tell me where to get them and the approximate cost? I know i dont want much right, my buddy is on a pretty tight budget and im just trying to figure out if the kibblewhites will work for him.

Thanks again greg

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Any dealer that works with Parts Unlimited can get the parts but getting the machine work done and having them installed properly with the springs at the correct installed height is best left to companies that have the correct equipment and experience in four-stroke cylinder performance work.

jimt_yz400

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 25, 2000
Rich,
How does the stainless steel valves impact the performance of the bike? I would assume that it would rev a little slower than with titanium valves but other than that what else would it impact?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
There is no measureable performance change, and there is no change in the way it revs either.

Top Bottom