steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
It's a contender for sure! I liked it, not enough to sell my 05 RM 250 but it is a good bike.

Things it does very well:
Awesome forks
comfy ergos
decent shock
good jetting, crisp
strong mid power that is easily controlled, its bottom power is decent, top is a little short, it has a very broad mid type power
great brakes
good stability
light feel (same as 05 YZ250)(the RM has a slightly heavier feel)

Whats not so great?
turning a little fuzzy, not as good as a RM or YZ( could improve with more set-up time)
vibration at top end, it buzzes in those frame rails big time
its not in the bars its in the frame(the 05 YZ250 was in the bars)
power has a more narrow range(at very bottom and very top) than the RM or YZ, but the difference is not large enough to be a concern, its fast and fun and easy to ride.

What needs fixing quick!
We ran it on pump 93 and it pinged big time. The worst pinging I've ever heard for any bike ever. It pinged on the bottom, mid and top-end, it was horrible. All the mags have been complaining about this mystery noise, its not the power valve :)

At the end of the day we ran some VP U-4 and it all but fixed the ping. The jetting was so good we didn't want to mess with it, so we just went with the race fuel.

I would run a bit higher octane than the U-4, something like VP C-12 or U-2.

Overall It's a real good bike, just make sure you bring home some race fuel if you pick one up.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
In the Dirt Rider shootout they also mentioned that all of the Jap bikes were pinging on pump gas. I guess there's only so many ways to keep getting more power out of the motor and compression is one of them.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
stroker said:
Hey Steve125,

Does your 05 RM250 require race gas too??

How smooth is the power ,decent for offroad?

Thanks

I do run race fuel in the RM but, it runs fine on pump.

The RM is not the smoothest power, it has more of a hit than the 05 CR 250 and YZ 250.

For off road, I would look at the Honda or the YZ. The YZ has the better motor, unreal bottom power, and it runs fine on pump gas. But the Honda is a more comfortable ride, with its seat and ergos and lower center of gravity. The YZ has a hard seat and is very tall and a bit more cramped. The RM is just too focused on quick turning and instant power. Thats great on the MX track, but to much for off road IMO. It can be made to work, but I'm talking stock bikes here.

So I would go with the Honda for "off road", I feel its requires the least amount of work and is the most comfortable. The motor is good enough and easy to ride, run race fuel and 1-2 up on the rear sprocket. Have the shock valved for smoother action( for MX it's fine).......and just ride it. :cool

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
way to go steve. it's nice to see someone recommend a bike that they don't ride.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
mx547 said:
way to go steve. it's nice to see someone recommend a bike that they don't ride.

Thanks Man, I try to be fair and balanced, no spin! :cool:

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Google Translation of the CR250R "power unit" text

Installation structure of the RC valve was modified substantially, output and the throttle response of the low-speed limits, the throttle linearity - improvement was assured by the fact that seal characteristic around the RC valve is raised. In addition to the port statistics of the cylinder and the substantial modification around the piston, sucking/absorbing * exhaust type modifies the reed valve and exhaust chamber statistics, actualizes output improvement over entire area.
Improvement of the throttle response was actualized at entire area in addition to the form modification of the crankshaft, with the rigid rise of the crankcase.
In addition, CR125R similar and capacity of radiator 15% rise. It has improved cooling efficiency.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
LOL- i never thought the RM had a hit, and then i listened to steve and realized it did.

then i put steves words out of my mind and the hit is gone.

i think i might even add a tooth to the rear now, just to spite him!!! :)

and the bike runs fine on pump, i leaned the needle a bit (2nd stock needle) and it would ping on hard accelleration in deep sand, but 1/2 a clip richer cured it.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
The bike still doesn't use sub-exhaust ports, but the powervalve is completly different. Did you guys notice how much different the head looked to compensate for the dome piston. I wouldn't be surprised if a completely different ignition is in the bike for next year. Do you guys remember the 97 cr250 and how they claimed to have traction control. MXA also mentioned something to the effect of what they have in this bike. They should take that out. I wonder how the output would be effected if the powervalve snapped open at a designated rpm instead or opening depending on throttle position, load and rpm. Next year I think the bike will come with a new frame, a new iginition and some small up grades in the engine. I would be very surprised if they redesigned the engine again. I think having MC, Wey, Larocco and Fonseca testing the new engine design they will perfect it for next year. I don't think Honda will give up on there 2-strokes any time soon, they where just put into a condundrum. They went to high tech and got caught with there pant's down by Yamaha cloned engines.

Erik

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
bedell you think too much ;) if it was me i would just get a rm 250-great turning, ergos and showas, engine is powerfull for all but maybe RC to win on, what more could anyone want?

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
marcusgunby said:
bedell you think too much ;) if it was me i would just get a rm 250-great turning, ergos and showas, engine is powerfull for all but maybe RC to win on, what more could anyone want?

A Honda logo on the side?

:laugh:

Or maybe a Maico logo, if it's a vintage/evolution era bike. :cool:

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Hey Marcus I just bought a CR80, talk about downsizing. Actually for 06 I think I going to buy a 125/250f. I just like leaving a bit of open ended statement so people can post more. This is a bit off topic but when I first joined I just remember the topics having a lot more substance and I try to post like that, but your right I think way to much. :)

Erik

Rider 007

Feb 10, 2000
bedell99 said:
Do you guys remember the 97 cr250 and how they claimed to have traction control. MXA also mentioned something to the effect of what they have in this bike. They should take that out.

I've read that claim by them, also.

My question is: where is the sensor for the drivetrain?

The system supposedly compares engine and drivetrain RPM to a preprogrammed map, and if they don't match, it adjusts the timing to correct the mismatch and stop wheelspin.

Where's the drivetrain sensor? Anyone seen one? It has to be after the clutch to monitor the drivetrain speed, so it should be obvious.

Unless someone finds a sensor, I'm tempted to think this is a way to distract from the fact that their "it's the case-reed engine that's at fault" claim was shown to be idiotic by KTM and their monster case-reed engine.

:ride:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
good points, i guess i have kind of given up on the hondas as they did the same thing for too long.By the looks of the 05 engine it has potential, maybe a pipe will give it more top and rev? also a vf3 might help?

As long as the dybo curve is not too wobbly then they have the pv opening setup ok IMO, it just seems a little redundant these days as if you want power just buy the cr450? they should separate the classes to make it more fun IMO.

On the traction control i beleive they looked at rpms ,and if it rose too fast it backed of the ignition advance?like you said its not really traction control, the only one i seen on a works honda basically detuned the engine for traction off the start gate-weird but true, i posted a dyno somewhere for it, it looked very weird. :coocoo:

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
bclapham said:
LOL- i never thought the RM had a hit, and then i listened to steve and realized it did.

then i put steves words out of my mind and the hit is gone.

i think i might even add a tooth to the rear now, just to spite him!!! :)

Brucie I think it has more to do with you going back to the std. silencer length vs your homemade shorty than my words.

Either way the RM hits harder than the CR or the YZ, just wait till the tracks dry out over there in Cali Brucie, you'll remember again. :nener:

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
marcusgunby said:
Good advice.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
marcusgunby said:

LOL

i like how everyone says "i can get the honda, buy a pipe V-force, porting and a carb" and it will be a great bike!!!! thats not far off a grand on top of the bike.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
bclapham said:
LOL

i like how everyone says "i can get the honda, buy a pipe V-force, porting and a carb" and it will be a great bike!!!! thats not far off a grand on top of the bike.

Ok, I'll bite..

Suspension work is just as expensive as motor mods, no? There's a little more to a 250 than motor, and the CR ergos and handling fit me just fine, thank you.

The cost for the mods you listed was roughly $600 for me. Besides, where's the fun in leaving a bike stock. :moon:

Last edited:

john3_16

May 17, 2004

Most guys that I know on Honda's are buying new ones for close to $4,000 OTD...A $250 port job alone puts its RWHP over 50...

I rode my buddy's 04' CR250 by Varner the other day that I know can't be matched by any stock 05' model...The price ? $4,200 total with the extra 03' cylinder for the mods...It was almost too much power...According to Varner it puts out 52 RWHP.....IMHO a 1hp advantage for a 2k rpm spread in the low end isn't worth $2000 extra when you've got 52 ponies to work with ....

Of course the same goes for any bike you can get at a good price..

Last edited:

Satch0922

Aug 30, 2003
this is funny .......stockers come with 46-49 HP and no one on this website use these bikes to their full potential. If they did they would be far to busy getting ready for tonight's Supercross to be posting here.

But ....that is why we are all here on the net.....acting like big dogs! LOL

Top Bottom