I may have to change my name to VOR_guy!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Well I missed the DRN ride at Weimedog’s this past Sunday so I decided to head up there last night for a few hours of riding. We hit the 8 mile loop and after the second lap I had to stop and do something with my forks. They were set up for MX and I was getting the crap beat out of me in the rough single track. Walt suggested a few clicks here and there (Thanks Walt :)) and then it felt great.

There are a lot of off camber grass track turns in the loop (don’t worry, I’m getting the VOR part) and my bike was sliding out on me because of the midrange hit. It was turning good but I was too heavy on the gas and wasn’t going a fast around them as I would have like. The trails were just right for me with 2nd & 3rd gear parts and some wide open really fast stuff. It was a lot of fun and I was sad that I missed riding with everyone on Sunday.

We decided to switch bikes and I hopped on Walt’s VOR 450 EX (I think). We’ve ridden together before but this was the first chance we had to switch bikes The back tire was a bit bald and he warned me that it slides out easily. He also warned me that it weighed 30 or 40 pounds more than my RM. I took note and hit the “E” button (very nice) and was off. The first thing I noticed was how much it handled like my RM. I really didn’t even notice the extra weight. I was able to adapt to it very quickly. The next thing I noticed was how fast I could take the off camber corners. I expected it to slide out (with the bald tire) but it hooked right up. I just came into the turn and hit the gas. The bike did everything else.

Up on the fast straights in the field (WFO in top gear), it felt very stable. My RM twitches a little at high speeds and although do I open it up, it’s a bit scary at times. The VOR didn’t seem to have the acceleration that my RM has but it’s deceiving because it hooks up much better.

I’ve ridden YZF’s and the new CRF and I would prefer the VOR over either of them. Walt told me that the 2003 MX 450 has more of a hit and he thought I’d like that even more so I can’t wait to give it a try. If anyone gets a chance to ride a VOR, don’t pass it up. I think you’ll be surprised that the magazine test’s are off the mark. They are sweet bikes. I just wish I could have tried the 503.

When we stopped back at the house for a drink and gas Walt’s daughter comes out of the house as says that my wife call and she had a small kitchen fire. All kinds of things were going through my head, as you could imagine. A quick phone call confirmed that everything was OK. The cord of an electric water kettle had shorted out where it goes into the kettle. She said that flames shot out and it got very smoky. Luckily it wasn’t near anything flammable. Crises averted and we went out for one last loop before it got too dark. I never did fill up my tank so I had to cut the loop short and head home.

Thanks for the riding Walt. I hope to make it up again soon.:)

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Originally posted by RM_guy
...I was getting the crap beat out of me in the rough single track.

Walt, did you take him trhough Dave's new section??!! :p
All the single-track on the main loop was sah-wweeet! Now we just need to add more woods trail and remove some of the grass track...!

Liked the VOR thumper, eh RM_Guy?! Dave rode both bikes, he commented that the 503 reminded him of his old husky thumper, arm-ripping type power. Now if VOR would think about making a small-bore thumper, I'd give that a try! ;)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
RM, say it isn't so!:whiner: What did I tell you about switching bikes with someone!:| Don't do it, stay away from the light, light is bad bad thing.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Ofcourse I have to mention that my next new bike is way off in the future, less I win some money real quick ;)

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Oh, I dunno, RM_Guy! I bet that Walt guy could cut you a deal--maybe on a used one. I think he knows some people... ;)

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by TwinSpar
More sheep running away from yellow.... :p
Man I rode RM_guy's Zook last fall. One lap on a GP track and I couldn't give it back to him fast enough.

RM - 2nd & 3rd gear trails? That's a nice highway! :scream:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by WoodsRider
Man I rode RM_guy's Zook last fall. One lap on a GP track and I couldn't give it back to him fast enough...
The suspension is much better with the revalve since you rode it. Now the vibration, that's still there. I do have to say your GasGas is vibration free.

RM - 2nd & 3rd gear trails? That's a nice highway!
It sure was nice highway too :p

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I agree, they are great machines ! I'm on VOR #2 and can't imagine changing out for another thumper, once you get the hang of riding it (primarily the switch from 2 to 4 stroke.) they feel less tiring after 50+ miles.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Im sure the VOR is a sweet machine. However, most of those thumper traits like stability, and rear wheel hook up, come from the dark side.

THUMP ON! :aj: :p :cool:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by wayneo426
Im sure the VOR is a sweet machine. However, most of those thumper traits like stability, and rear wheel hook up, come from the dark side...
You're right and I've ridden the other thumpers. I liked the traits of the VOR better. :)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Ofcourse I have to mention that my next new bike is way off in the future

don't you have a birthday coming up? good excuse for a new bike. :D

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
You're right and I've ridden the other thumpers. I liked the traits of the VOR better. :)

I have a friend that says the same thing. He likes the VOR over the competition. I have to say personally that I prefer the KTM's over just about anything, but then I havent ridden a VOR yet. ;) ;)

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Try it - you'll be hooked. I've owned the enduro and the cross country versions. Both have the enduro motor. Try out the 530 MX - that will turn you into a convert :aj: !

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by mx547

don't you have a birthday coming up? good excuse for a new bike. :D
I'll let you try and convince my wife of that one :eek:

Top Bottom