I met former US & World MXGP champ Jim Pomeroy last Sunday

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
I got the opportunity to meet a former US & World MXGP champ last Sunday. Jim Pomeroy ('70's legend) is down under giving coaching clinics.

I didn't go to the coaching clinic on Saturday, but still got to meet Jim and got him to sign my riding jersey on the Sunday at our club meeting. Unfortunately wearing the signed jersey didn't provide me with any further skills or luck, as I crashed the very next race! Hmmm :think: ...maybe I should have attended the coaching clinic the day before.

He came across as a great guy and was really enjoying himself. Our club (QVMX - Queensland Vintage Motorcycle Club) hosted a one off "Bultacos only" race which Jim entered. He came an impressive 2nd (probably didn't want to go home early with an injury). I'm not sure who beat him, but I'm sure they'll be bragging about it. I know I would be (even though he's 22 years my senior).

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Very cool. I had a POS Bultaco 125 when I was a kid, and Pomeroy was one of my heroes.

He probably would have won more races if he had ridden a more reliable brand.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I grew up across the street from the first female too ever qualify for a National, Dorene Payne :thumb: I've also heard that she is the only female too qualify for a SX, but im not sure.. She is still FAST!! :thumb:
RIck

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
Pomeroy was one of my heroes as well as Decoster.:)
I remember seeing Decoster at my first SX race in St Louis about 7 years ago.The riders were signing autographs, but I got a mechanic to get Roger out of the semi so I could shake hands with him. It was a treat.:)

Top Bottom