Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
So where can i get a spare or replacement? Can't find the one and only key the used bike came with. Are keys for dirt bikes generic where a 2004 crf230 key will fit any 2004 crf230 or is it model specific and different for each bike? What will it cost me me to get a replacement?

May 10, 2007
i dont know about a replacement but i have a friend who lost his and him and his dad just hotwired it. i dont think it was that complicated from what i heard about it. though that was on a CRF100 which doesnt have a battery. it also takes away a safety mechanism.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Cman250 said:
So where can i get a spare or replacement? Can't find the one and only key the used bike came with. Are keys for dirt bikes generic where a 2004 crf230 key will fit any 2004 crf230 or is it model specific and different for each bike? What will it cost me me to get a replacement?

Perhaps you should call a Honda dealer.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I believe the keys are just a safety/security device and not specially keyed. Our XR80 key worked on the neighbors XR80 and they are seperated aby at least a decade. My John Deere tractor is the same way, I thought I lost the keys and went by the dealership they tossed me one of of a box and said this will work, it did.

Looking at the parts diagrams for your bike it looks like the typical 2 wire switch. Just follow the two wires from the key switch down to where they plug in to the wiring harness. Unplug them and take a piece of wire and connect the two ends that are on the wiring harness together and I bet it will start right up.

Keep in mind I have no practical experience in hot wiring things like cars, dozers or tractor trailers so this is all theory ;)

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
Right so a local honda dealership should be able to give me what i need for a few bucks. If I do however to just ditch the key ignition and have it wired would this drain my battery quicker when the bike is not in use? Thanks all for the input.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Try a locksmith. I've made hundreds of motorcycle keys, 10s of thousands other keys. Not that big of a task for a good locksmith.

Cabot

Sep 3, 2007
Your ignition should have a Number on it (I think an alphabetical digit followed by two numerical digits) hidden somewhere on it.
Your not going to be able to see this code without partially taking the ignition apart.

But anyways if you find this number your local Honda dealer will (should) be able to cut you a new key for it.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Just follow the wires back(should be 2 of them) and unplug them. It should start up. The key is just a theft deterrant/young kid stopper.

Top Bottom