I'm a mechanical idiot and need your help.

javo

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
I just got a 1992 CR250 and am going to totally tear it down, but Im having a problem. The bolt that runs through the back of the motor and the swingarm.. What size is that nut?? Also is it safe to just remove that (swingarm bolt) to pull the motor? Or do I have to completely disconect the rear shock then remove the swingarm bolt? I've never done this before and am trying to make this a learning experience, but I dont want to kill myself or worse hurt the bike.
Any direction you can offer is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your help.
Jason
:worship:

B

biglou

Not sure what exact size that nut is, I think it's a 20 or 22mm? And yes, you can pull just that bolt without taking anything else apart in the rear. Best thing to do is to get a buddy to help you. Have one guy jiggle the rear wheel up and down while you tap that bolt out with a long punch and a small (hopefully) hammer. Be very careful not to booger up the threads on the end of that bolt. If you have access to a motorized bench grinder with a wire wheel, use that to clean that bolt up real purty, and smear it with a light coat of grease before reassembly.

javo

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
If I do decide to totally disconnect the swingarm it looks like once I get the swingarm pivot bolt removed the only thing else that holds it on would be where the rear shock connects to the frame. Am I correct in this?
The guy I got this thing from did a real crappy paint job on it, just sprayed over everything (including electrical) and didnt paint the back part fo the frame, so the part you see from the outside is mostly one color but if you look through the frame you can see the original white.
I just figured if I take this thing down totally and bring it back up I will have found and corrected most everything this idiot did, and I will know all I need to about this bike. And of course, I get to learn along the way.

Thanks for your help again,
Jason

B

biglou

Believe it or not, getting the thing apart will be the hard part. I think you have a linkage rear suspension, so there is one more pivot holding it to the frame. You will want to take all the linkage bolts out and clean/replace them as necessary. Also check all those pivot bearings for grease. If you're resourceful, you can resurect some pretty sad bearings! If not, Pivot Works makes kits.

I say take it all apart! Take the engine out. Take the steering head apart, and take the rear linkage apart. Keep everything sorted. Clean everything, and replace what needs it. Get the frame sandblasted and powdercoated if you can afford it. If not, spend some time cleaning, sanding, priming and painting it. See if you can find some epoxy appliance spray paint at your local appliance store if you can't go the powdercoated route.

Just remember to take your time, keep it organized and I guaranty you will learn a ton from the experience. :thumb:

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Like big Lou says take the time now and do the work thoroughly . Watch those little needle bearings as they like to fall apart if they are dry , if they come apart they will roll into the most obtruse of places making your event not as much fun .

javo

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
Ummm, where are those?
I was wondering if when I pull the swingarm off the frame if I'd have berrings shooting everywhere. Guess DEANSFASTWAY answered that.
I cant afford to buy all new parts so any tips you have that might save me from losing or damaging parts are greatly appreciated.

Jason

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
if you can get yourself a poloriod or digital camera take lots of pictures as you are disassembling might make things real nice, when it come to reassembling ,to have a picture of what something looked like half removed. That and a manual can't be beat.

keep anything and everything as organized as you possibley can if you are going to completely strip the bike down. Try and take things off in subassemblies with all bolts placed in a bag , duct taped to the assembly and real nice to have the poloroids in the bag also! that way when it comes to reassembly you can rebuild the different subassemblies one at a a time have all hardware right at your finger tips.then can be assembled on the frame without mixing up the bolts or losing them in this huge pile that will form on your work bench

If you are only going to remove the engine try not to remove the swingarm pivot bolt all the way leave it in the one part of the swingarm and frame. that will help hold the frame and swingarm where you need it to be when you slide the engine back in.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Javo,
The first thing you want to do is order a manual for your bike. You can get one at your local Honda dealer or order one on line. This will be the most valuable tool you can buy at this point to help with the rebuild, and it will be a source at your finger tips to ensure your are proceeding in the correct order.

The idea of taking pictures is also a great one. :thumb:

javo

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
I got the Clymers manual for it.. A CR250 for Dummies guide would be better..
I got the motor out last night. The forward motor bolt was a pain in the butt to remove. I had to beat it out. Needless to say I will be replacing those when I put it back in.
My next step is to remove the swingarm and the front end. It looks like there are 2 bolts left holding on the swingarm 1 on the top of the shock and the other on the linkage.. Removal of the front end looks difficult as well. Any tips are greatly appreciated.
Thanks again,
Jason

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
this is what I do to remove the complete front end.

remove clutch cable, throttle cable, kill button <most likly already done since you have the engine out.
have a friend thier will help a lot with my next steps

remove the steering stem nut if you can, if not remove the handlebars to get at the steering stem nut, loosen the top triple clamp pinch bolts around the fork legs. Using a soft rubber mallet tap the top clamp off the fork legs and stem. Remove the bearing adjustment nut. As you stand there withthe front wheel between your legs one hand holding the front end one hand holding the handle bar assembly have your friend slide the frame off the steering stem. carfully watching that you are not stretching, kinking or hanging up on any cables . Your helper getting the frame out of the way being careful not droppingthe top bearing or washer/seal have him take the bearing and seal out of the frame and slide it back on the stem then loosely assemble everything in your hands in the right order. might have to snug up the handle bars so they wont slip. Wheel the front end out of the way.

when you are done painting , scrape the paint off the frame where all the electrical grounds are. use dielectric grease and serrated shake proof washers on the ground connections

TRAIL

Nov 12, 2002
Try taking appart your front end and greasing everythign and put it back together by yourself! Very hard. I wont do that again. Extra set of hands are always helpful. Just dont rush yourself. Take your time it will be worth it in the end with a very nice looking and running/working bike.

javo

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
Well I got it off. The top nut and the berring nut were both able to be losened with fingers (scary) the hardest part was removing the forks. I couldnt get the front wheel off ( I need to still because wheel berrings are shot) so I had to remove the forks and wheel as one big peice. I had to tap (hammer) the forks out with a rubber mallet. Hope this all goes back ok.(little nervous) The frame is in the back of my truck now, I will hopefully get it blasted today and start the repainting process this weekend.
If anyone can tell me how to get the front wheel off that would be great. I got the nut off but I cant get the axle out. I've tried a hammer and wrenching and it wont budge... Any ideas?
Thanks,
Jason

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
the bearing nut being finger tight isnt too bad as long as there was no play in the bearings. the top nut coming loose is probablybecause when someone put the front end together last time they tightened down the fork pinch bolts before they tightened down the top clamp to stem nut.

Top Bottom