KTMrad

Mar 20, 2001
From the D37 AMA Dual Sport Newsletter.....

The newest (yet recurring) subject of interest this month is noise. This is highly controversial and recently has made a profound impression on me. I'm a self-proclaimed die-hard dirt bike and street bike enthusiast of over 30 years. My first encounter was my own experience while on the Colorado 1000, with the second from a fellow I met in Silverton, Colorado who is associated with Wally Dallenbach's Colorado 500. The third, an article in the Big Bear newspaper about the recent Big Bear Trail Riders two day event, and finally, the October article, Off Idle, in Cruiser Magazine by Jaimie Elvidge.

Having started racing desert in 1968 on two strokes without silencers, I'm sure that the months of riding and racing with un-muffled exhaust is contributing to progressive hearing loss. What's that? Silencers/spark arrestors became standard equipment on racing motorcycles soon afterward, being prompted by noise complaints, Forest Service and noise restriction regulations. It was not a very popular move at that time but performance losses were soon offset by the ability of pipe manufacturers and OEM's to design better equipment while meeting the new restrictions. Things DID get quieter. However, we have had a continuing problem since that time and the situation seems to be getting worse.

My entire adult life has been devoted to enjoying and supporting this 2-wheeled hobby with a passion. It has been under a continual barrage of attacks from environmentalists, the DOT, NIHST and the insurance industry. With the growing awareness and use of remote areas by people from all walks of life, NOISE is becoming a "real and present danger" to many outdoor activities. In the suburbs of the country, as well as parks and selected housing there are areas that are becoming "off limits" to street bikes.

WHY? A lot of the reason is excessive exhaust noise. Just this past August, I had the opportunity to ride 1200 miles in nine consecutive days of Dual Sporting in the Colorado Rockies. My impression? Positively the most beautiful, challenging, and rewarding riding opportunity I've ever enjoyed with one glaring exception. The mightily excessive exhaust tones of some street licensed vehicles on the same ride! Owners of new YZF or WR Yamahas (or any other new make or model) that simply remove the exhaust baffle may indeed experience some degree of improved performance but at what cost? That simple move makes a reasonably performing and noise-friendly bike into one of the most penetrating and painful noises on earth. You can hear it coming for a mile or more and if your following, you have to back off yourself just to get away from the noise. Hikers, four wheelers, equestrians, and fishermen have the same impression only they are the ones who are actively trying to get us restricted from trails and roads. Does your loud pipe get you anywhere any sooner when trail riding? I think not. The focus is not just unbaffled stockers, but on the aftermarket pipes as well. If you buy a race pipe, use it on a racecourse - not in your local forest.

On the last day of the 1000 we stopped in Silverton, CO, and ran into a fellow from Idaho who had participated in the Colorado 500. He ran a motorcycle shop in Idaho and we proceeded on a 20-minute discussion of trail riding, politics, and noise. Let us note here that Idaho has the largest number of trail miles in National Forest land per capita than any other state in the nation. What was his perception of the biggest problem facing the trail-riding enthusiast in Idaho? Noise! Not habitat destruction; not the lack of trail maintenance; not lack of money for trail system development; not even PEER, CBD, or the Sierra Club. It is NOISE. By his own survey and admission, two strokes are now quieter, perform better and are less offensive even with their exhaust smoke that the average four stroke. His opinion seemed to be that the owner of a four stroke has to "make it loud" to show the other guy he's just a good as his two stroke brethren. Fact is: it's just not cool! That kind of attitude is helping to restrict the sport to death. If you want to have a better performing motorcycle, pressure the pipe manufacturers for better stuff, or use something that is acceptably quiet.

A recent article in the Big Bear newspaper once again directly objected to the noise emitted from passing dirt bikes on the Big Bear Trail Riders two day Dual Sport tour. Homeowners are getting upset. We know that the roads were there BEFORE the houses, but the people in those houses have political clout and the unnecessarily loud motorcycle is just more ammunition for homeowner groups and another sword for the anti-bike politico's to wield for more and more restrictive off-road opportunities. Honestly, I've seriously considered punching holes in potatoes and using them to make temporary baffles for the idiots that make me and the general population cringe when they ride by.

We all know how ridiculous straight pipes sound on a cruiser. Evidently the editorial staff of Cruiser Magazine is getting the message also. Excessive noise is not cool, and the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" is just a bunch of crap. Research has proven that the noise from a motorcycle has nothing to do with the attentiveness of the driver in front of you. It only pisses off the drivers in back of you and any others you may pass on or along the sides of the road (or trail) you may be on at the time. The AMA is in the process of getting involved with the initiatives proposed by the United Nations (can you believe it?) that will standardize motorcycle safety and equipment requirements making the after-market industry a thing of the past. This means NO performance products!

In order to prevent these excessive regulatory acts, we have to act more responsibly right now! If you absolutely have to replace the stock plumbing, look into what QUIET and reasonably performing models the manufacturers may have to offer. DON'T just pull baffles or put a race core only model on your street legal Dualsporter. It is helping to kill our sport, especially in the National Forests where sound carries more and is more likely to cause VERY nasty and vile reactions from other people exercising their own rights of multiple land use. If you choose to ignore the problem and let Mr. Macho take over, be ready for what may be lost from this problem in the future. If your buddies bike is one of the noise monsters tell him to get a life on the track and be more responsible on the trail.

Let us hear from you, but quietly, please!
Dave Tonkiss

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
EXCELLENT article. I agree with this 100% !!!

Are you listening FMF, Pro Circuit, Big Gun, Whitte Bros etc? .. I for one wish we had an aftermarket option for QUIETER pipes without sacrificing power. I ride a KDX (one of the quietest 2 strokes you will find) and I would like it to be even quieter.

I for one cant wait for battery technology to catch up so we can all ride electric dirt bikes.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
I totally agree! I was taking a break along the trail during the “Rights Of Spring” trail ride in Michigan last spring and the loudest bike that went by was a 4-stroke Yamaha. I seriously doubt that it went through inspection with the muffler like that so obviously the guy changed the muffler for the performance after the inspection. Kind of defeated the purpose of the inspection.

That’s not to say that the 2-stroke guys can slack off any. Loud bikes are the biggest complaint homeowners have in trail riding areas.

Just my 2-cents worth.:)

KTMrad

Mar 20, 2001
Yes, I agree, the manufacturers should make a pipe that performs well, yet is quiet. Loud pipes are OK if all you're going to do is race on a closed course, but not for trail riding.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Thanks for posting that. I also agree with the author. Most of the loud bike guys I talk to just don't seem to care. "Oh, it's not that bad" or "Harley's are loud". I tell them two wrongs don't make a right and Harley's aren't loosing riding areas to tree huggers. We have to do it better.

I think peer pressure is one of the best ways to get this message across. If your fellow riders hear it from YOU, it carries more weight than reading it in a magazine or forum, IMO.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Originally posted by Mikeb

I for one cant wait for battery technology to catch up so we can all ride electric dirt bikes. [/B]

You are kidding?:scream:

I'm all for keeping our bikes current and future as quite as possible. Where's the thrill of a flat powerband battery powered bike? Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I can't see me riding around in the woods on something that sounds like a golf cart.

I have to admit, I LIKE the smell of a two stroke in the morning. I have a XR250R which is as close to a battery powered bike as I would want to get to.:)

Just think of the enviormental impact of all the power poles and charging stations that would have to be set up in the forests.:p I guess the charging stations could be solar conversion stations. It would still take 2 hours for a recharge vs filling your tank with the current dinosaur fluid that we are now using.:think

You are kidding right? :)

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Great post. Noise is the main underlying issue for our sport. It is the one thing most likely to turn "Joe Average Citizen" against us. How do you persuade the unrepentant that the extra 0.57 horsepower from that Master-Blaster 105db pipe is just is not worth it? I, for one, would support aggressively enforced noise limits for *all* off-road events (except ,maybe, moto-x - and even here, I think some kind of standard would be a good thing). Sound tests for each bike and a zero-tolerance "Show up with a loud bike, and you don't ride" policy. A few years of this and the mfgrs and aftermarket pipe guys will take the hint.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I also think that bikes should be quiter especially YZF's! the first time I ever heard a yz400f I thought it was dynamite going off in the near distance. It was literally echoing off the trees for like a mile. I remember when I used to start my bike for my friends who did not ride. They acted like it was 10 chain saws in a closed room going off full tilt. I also think that they should start enforcing some what of a noise restriction at the races and tracks like the FIM does. Like the current fad with installing a big ole coffee can exhausts on an import car. Sometimes I swear they sound just like street bikes going down the street.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
good post, altho i think that all of us are just preaching to the choir (again). it's hard to blame the mfrs. for loud pipes when that's what people want to buy. they are willing to drive another nail in the coffin of off-roading to get that extra .57 hp; the claim that a 4-s has to be loud to make decent power was killed by the ktm 400 & 520. i agree that peer pressure is perhaps the only answer. the people who do this, like the guy on drn who called me a girl for calling for quieter pipes, or the guy in my own club who laughed in my face when i told him that his wr250f is too loud (to get mid-pack in c class), just don't care. i think they are fools who are impinging on my privileges with their irresponsibility. in the words of pogo the possum (who was actually talking about the environment): "we have met the enemy, and he is us."

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
Quieter???. Are u nuts. Thats part of the fun. I cant wait till i get a YZ426 next year!:p . That thing will really piss the people around here off. They think my CR250 is loud.Just wait:)

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Of course the problem with a quiet bike is this. How'd you like to be smoking down a bike trail, round a corner to find a guy stopped in the trail watching birds... BAMMO, he didn't hear you coming...

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Or how would you like to have a cool loud dirt bike sitting in the garage and no where to ride ... BAMMO.. all OHV's outlawed...We didnt see it coming.

Jonala , In a way I was kidding about electric dirtbikes but if that is what it takes to continue to ride I am all for it.

Bottom line is we all gotta be responsible for our actions and that includes NOISE. Like the article said NOISE is the one thing that the other groups (hikers, Mtn Bikers, bird watchers etc .. ) really dont like about us.

Blue Thunder

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2000
Thanks for all of the preaching about how loud the Yamahas are..now how about as much input on what to do about it. I ride a 426 and do think it is too loud..but what to do? The aftermarket companies that "claim" to have lower DB numbers are minimal? I run stock exhaust w/no reason to change..other than a quiet version! I'm sure I'm in the minority here thinking that my bike IS loud, but again..I want info on what to do.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
You know, I have a WR 400, and the baffle is out. It was like that when I got it. I do have it, and I put it in just to check it out, the bike it QUITE, Ill give you that, but it dose not idle, or run for poop. The bike is just NOT that loud with the baffle out. Its not. I am sure it’s more quite than a stock Harley much less the bone heads with loud pipes on Hogs. I can see the bike being loud on the road holding resonant RPMs, but the bike was not meant to ride on the road was it. I am all for trading off some power for a good quite pipe, but not allot of power.
You know what else dritriders, noise is NOT the primary issue of people that hate dirt bikes, its dirt bikes they hate, things that go fast off road anywhere near them and the people on them. Horse people hate mountain bikes as much as dirt bikes, it’s not the noise. The places I ride are barren expanses of earth strip mined out for the coal. Ill rip it up as fast hard and loud as I want. That’s what its there for now. I can see making the effort in areas where houses are near by and subjected to hours of loud bike riding. Don’t get me wrong, I am not in favor of loud bikes, I am in favor of fast powerful bikes. You cant please the people that hate ATVs, but you can please yourself, so why even try to compromise?

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
mikeb,

I suppose you're right. Living in the non-mountainous part of Montana I have trouble wrapping my head around the politically correct things that kill this and other fun activities. What the heck is a spotted owl? Can I eat one or not? As the human race, we should be more interested in saving cows, pigs and sheep, stuff we can eat!!! ;)

I've got hundred of miles I can ride (in any direction) and I could ride naked all day and not see a soul.

I've got a track in my yard and can go trailriding from my house. I guess it's hard to see the fight when I'm not on the front line.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Well, my -02 520 SX in Euro trim is supposed to be quiet. It sure isn't too offensive when just putting around, but when you twist the fun handle, it makes a noise that makes little birds drop from the trees.

I'm not about to get a new exhaust just to make it quieter, but I sure ain't going to get one of them 5" hole silencers either. A part of me wants the bike to be quiet, but another one thinks the noise is pretty cool(especially when it's so mellow in lower revs), letting everybody now there's some serious grunt in there.

RTKLR1

Apr 23, 2000
I put this http://www.bmp.motox.org/main.htm system on my 99 yz 400 and it sound test at 95-96 DB using a tach, It doesnt cut the power any that you can feel and helped with the off idle lean spot. also it has a good deep tone to it compared to the supertrapp ids 2. I also tried the fmf square 4 and it was 106 DB !!!! that sucked so I returned it.
Oh yeah the bills m.c. uses the stock silencer and adds an endcap from a fmf megamax , it costs $130.00.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by lawman
. . . the claim that a 4-s has to be loud to make decent power was killed by the ktm 400 & 520.
All the more reason for me to get a KTM! Even my XR400 with the baffle out is way loud, but I don't see how that sucker would even pull my fat butt around the trails with it in!

There must be a way to build a compact, quiet, high performance exhaust!

The new FMF Q-series is getting there . . .

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Personally, I think every bike I've ever owned was too loud. Shame on both the manufacturers and the aftermarket suppliers! I can't believe with today's technology we can't get decent HP with low DB. Or maybe they are just building us what we demand, not what we need. Snowmobilers in our area are now faced with noise restrictions on trails, and one trail system that I know of in my state hands out tickets for non-stock exhuast systems on sleds, ATV's, and bikes. I truly believe trails would be easier to open, and keep open if we kept our noise down.

R White

Sep 13, 2001
you want quiet

check out popular sience oct.issue Aprilia is making a nitrogen powered bike
:eek: it does have some draw backs .go to popsi.com a must read

Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Alright, I'll show my age. In the late 70's early 80's there WAS a company building quite pipes, Bassanni. What happened to this company? I remember being around some bikes that had these pipes and they made a KDX seem loud. I'm all for a quieter exhaust. For now, I'll just repack my silencer frequently and hope for the best until a reasonable alternative is marketed.

JD

Mar 12, 2000
Flowmaster should get into the business of bike pipes, their mufflers are quiet without loosing HP. No internal packing, all noise suppression is done with baffles.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Jason - I also have a '99 WR400 with the stock silencer. I run a Thumper Racing insert. The insert fell out in Mexico (I found it) and I thought my bike had blown up. Uncorked the thing is flat out obnoxious.

JD - Flowmasters aren't all that quiet - had them on my old truck. And they definitely aren't light.

The freqs that the 4st are putting out require large volume cans - no way around it w/o $$$$$$$$$$

Brian

Top Bottom