JD

Mar 12, 2000
I've heard them quiet down some high HP vehicles, I think it depends on the size of the pipe, and especially how much tailpipe is after them. If there's no tailpipe after them, then there's not much the muffler can do.

As far as bikes, I would expect they would downsize them and use a lighter construction material...

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
Somthing needs to be done about the noise level of four strokes. Has anyone been to a four stroke national? Its deafening. Why not have a decibel limit? My buddy has a 250f and I was not impressed with the bike with the stock pipe. He got a fmf power bomb and it made a big differnce in the top end power but its so loud its silly. I cant hear my bike when we ride but if I owned the 250f I would run the fmf pipe you gain too much power not too.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
There are limits on National Forest land - don't know if they get enforced for 'closed course' events on NF land. Our local NF will start issuing tickets in November for bikes over the limit - it's about freakin' time.

I'd really like to see a noise limit imposed ala Europe on all races.

Brian

kiwimike

Feb 10, 2001
Kiwi, l can only hope you dont actually believe your last post. Last week you posted a "Cancelled Events'' gripe. At the next event you ride at, make a concerted effort to offer your services, perhaps you might end up grovelling like I`ve had to do in the last week.
I`am currently helping put together the Far North Adventure Ride (see the add in the November issue of Kiwi Rider on page 155)
So far l`ve put together 2/3 of saturday, riding thru forest, farmland and along pristine white sandy beaches, and l`ve had to beg to get that far. Last week l spent 4 hours convincing 3 land owners that we wouldnt ruin their bits of scrubby land (riding less then 2 ks) just so l could link two exceptionally scenic tracks together. I`am trading on the fact that l`ve known most of the land owners for more than 30 years or more. I`ve included my 1000 acres but thats upset another neighbour already, and the reason?...noise!
And at least 8 landowners have had to be convinced that these bikes arent going to sound like a bunch of Harleys roaring around their farms. And the one farm l really wanted to ride on for less than 3 ks, the owner said.."absolutely NO way!"....again...noise and they dont even live on the place! (Apparently we would upset the huge rock l wanted to ride past)
The adventure ride that "Kiwi Rider" puts on each year is having similiar problems.
Once you upset some of these landowners that that piece of land is lost forever,and we are loosing private land to ride on here year by year.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
After reading all the posts, a couple of thoughts come to mind. It would seem the only way bikes noise is going to come under control is enactment and enforcement of noise laws. And I HATE that option. The gov't making us do the 'right' thing just rankles me. None the less, I'd get behind it because it's better than lossing riding areas to the "Oh, it's not THAT bad" or the "I don't care what anyone thinks" crowd.

The folks that hate dirtbikers will hate us on quiet bikes too, most likely. However, a lot of folks who don't care one way or the other will get pushed over to the other side by hearing Harley's in the woods, IMO.

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
Dont worry i was only being a dick saying that, it sounds good saying it though. Off road bikes have to have some sort of limit, but road bikes thats another thing, they can be loud and proud, but on the race tracks there are limits.
As for that adventure riding.... too much of it is in KR, not enough moto, and they seem to always have heaps of road bikes, same sort of sporty ones but never test motocross bikes, well not in a long time, always enduro's or cross countrys, but i dont buy it so no worries.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Well, I suppose If there was a law or fair standard I would try to meet it. But off raod bikes should be aloud to be a bit more loud than on raod bikes. Here are the two big problmes I see.

1, makers of after market dont quote noise in Db. They often dont even quote HP, they just stay More Power!!!! So its trial and err and a few folks with Db meters and almost none with Db meters and dynos.

2, In Pa anyway, there is almost no public land to ride on and the state shows NO intention of making any publc land that they horad for killing things on available, so why bother trying to meet a standard if there is no reason. Like I said,,,, the strip mined out mountains dont care how loud you are.

I suppose most of the blame is on the pipe makers. Suppertrap seems to be the only one who cares enough because of a large erou contract (they make the KTM pipes) to make a nice pipe. At least FMF HAS a Quite core but no quotes on before and after Db and Hp.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by JasonJ
Well, I suppose If there was a law or fair standard I would try to meet it. But off raod bikes should be aloud to be a bit more loud than on raod bikes.
Why? This makes no sense to me.
Here are the two big problmes I see.

1, makers of after market dont quote noise in Db. They often dont even quote HP, they just stay More Power!!!! So its trial and err and a few folks with Db meters and almost none with Db meters and dynos.
That's true but I'd guess most folks assume that any aftermarket pipe that doesn't list its self as being a quiet type is going to be at least as loud as stock and most likely louder.
2, In Pa anyway, there is almost no public land to ride on and the state shows NO intention of making any publc land that they horad for killing things on available, so why bother trying to meet a standard if there is no reason. Like I said,,,, the strip mined out mountains dont care how loud you are.
I read this as saying "why do the right thing?". Because you have no idea if other's are out in the woods hearing obnoxiusly loud dirtbikes and there and then deciding they don't like them. It's about doing the right thing for the sport. Taking the larger view. Ya' know?
I suppose most of the blame is on the pipe makers. Suppertrap seems to be the only one who cares enough because of a large erou contract (they make the KTM pipes) to make a nice pipe. At least FMF HAS a Quite core but no quotes on before and after Db and Hp.
The pipe makers seem to be coming around. More and more of them are offering quiet options. I think the problem is the advent of the modern 4 stroke dirtbikes. Some 2 strokes are loud but you reach a point where you lose performance if you open up the exhaust too much with them. The 4 strokes raise the noise issue to a whole new level. I was stunned by the noise coming out of a stock YZ400 the first time I rode one. Way too loud to be ridden on public land.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Off road bikes should be as quiet as possible. Many times when we think we are riding deep in the woods we are actually only 50-100 yards from peoples homes. Believe me, they don't want to hear your dirt bike.

With a quiet bike they probably wont even know you're there and wont end up complaining to the city/state authorities. You know, "Less sound, more ground".:cool:

tagteam5

Nov 30, 2002
I agree that almost every bike I've ever had was too loud!! The exceptions:
1975 Bultaco Sherpa T
1986 Yamaha TY350
1979 Kaw KDX 200
Several Honda playbikes (Z50, XR80, SL100, etc)
Except for the playbikes, these bikes were competitive in their day. I have been thinking very seriously about the 03 Yam WR250F, and the only thing holding me back is the noise issue. My woods goes right behind my neighbor's houses. They have little kids (2-8) and horses and would really be offeded by the noise these things make. Note: no problems with the Gas Gas EC250 with FMF Turbinecore. The 2-stroke noise just doesn't carry like the 4-strokes.

Are there any really good quiet performance pipes available? The best feedback I have read is on thumpertalk.com on this particular model. Sometimes I wonder how the dB ratings relate to the percieved noise level.

Speaking of quiet 4-strokes, I hear that KTM is the best. Has anyone seen (or heard) their EXC 250F yet? I would appreciate some KTM opinions.

IMHO, if you like riding off-road, get some friends together and start buying land. There are way too many boneheads riding loud vehicles that really don't give a s##t about anything but the here and now. If the manufacturers were smart, they would buy up FMF, Bill's Pipes, ProCircuit, etc. to force the issue and reduce or eliminate loud pipes. Honda Motor Co. sells more (in $) in ATVs than in all two-wheelers combined, you would think they would be out in front on this issue.

The reason I want to get a WR250F is because it is light enough to race HS and Enduros and, with a rear tire swap and a title/plate, ride a dual sport. Any feedback on that concept, the do-it-all bike?

Thanks to the original post-host! Noise is an important topic, but I doubt that cooler heads will prevail.

Ted
Athens, Ohio

c&b745XX

~SPONSOR~
Nov 26, 2001
Great subject , I just bought some land . I'm going to build a house and more importantly a track this summer, I hope . I want to protect the right to ride on my land , and even though there is but a few homes near by , I know there will be more homes near by in the future . The spot I have for the track is going to be buffered by trees all around , I'm still affraid of the sound being a issue . So I would be real interested in using the quitest silencer available for practicing at my track and let it rip at the race :aj: !!!!!. What is reasonable as far as sound goes ? , db wise . I currently have a 99 YZ 250 w/ a Procircuit long silencer on it , what db it puts out ?, vs the stocker ??. Well I need to do some research , ANY INPUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED , THANKS B.B.

swingarm

Aug 15, 2002
I have learned a lot of things about exhaust back pressure on four stroke engines from tuning street bikes as well as dragsters. The only time a straight pipe makes better power than a baffled pipe is at wide open throttle. But yet I see tons of people with four stroke dirt bikes and four wheelers that are used mostly for trail riding spend money on mufflers with removable discs sept ups that just take off all the discs and run open baffles. They claim they run better like that. All they do is lose bottom and mid range power which is what you use most of the time in the woods. If you have a motor that is stock you still do not gain any power buy using on open exhaust at any rpm range. I know people will argue with me about this but this is a fact four stroke engine theary. Anyway, the biggest problem with this stupid trend is the noise factor. I can hear these stupid people from miles away. Then they wonder why residents that live around areas they ride in are calling the cops all the time. When the rest of us have no place left to ride you can thank all of these retards.

Ernie Estes

Dec 14, 2002
I have a yz 400 with the stock pipe with a disk system spark arestor. It's quieter than stock and makes the same power.
Tagteam- I have a honda reflex, it makes a z50 sound like dragster, you can't hear it if the guy riding is in the next room!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
This is a Great article!! :thumb:

I think it would be a good idea for the AMA too make all bikes that race pass a DB test, would force companies too make a quieter exhaust system, that can make power.. I used too help out on a jet ski race team, the IJSBA enforced noise limits, so all of a sudden the ski's started getting quieter, and faster too..
RIck

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
This months Dirtrider magazine is a good read, as they have a YZF aftermarket pipe shootout. The quietest pipe they tested was 100 DBs, (the FMF Q), and they also did dyno charting, so you can see at what RPM each pipe gains/loses HP.
It looked like the maximum gain was about 3 HP on average, usually at 9000 RPM, and most were at 106 DBs!
Dirtrider justifies all this with the 'disclaimer' that these are "closed course exhaust systems"!

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
It's time someone wakes up to the fact that all those loud exhausts that we gladly pay for now we will be sadly paying for again, later when many riding areas (and race tracks) are shut down. I'm in the process of buying riding land now and noise, I'm sure, will be an issue. I for one, will gladly pay for a quiet exhaust, but shouldn't it come that way from the factory???

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Gee, a thread about noise and not one "If it's too loud - your too old" quote?? :confused:
Quiet bikes are probably a good thing, but doesnt a racy sounding bike just get the ol' blood pumpin'?! :)
As for the AAA cell powered bike comment earlier in the thread..........well, when that happens , my helmet gets hung up for good. Nuff said.
The problem with building quieter bikes will lie in the very whinning babies that are complaining about the noise in the first place.
In other words if they DO produce these super quite machines, then after a while THEY will be too loud.
Then the next generation of superquiet bikes will be too loud.
Gettin the drift?
It's not just noise, it's the fact that they are there at all.
The whinners and eco-geeks would probably want those theoretical batterybikes outlawed too. :|
Im NOT against quiet machines.
Heck my XL500R has a stock system.
I think that our modern "dont even LOOK at me the wrong way or ill sue because your intruding on my personal smoke free environmentally and politically correct space!" society is the problem. :eek: :think:

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by tagteam5
I have been thinking very seriously about the 03 Yam WR250F, and the only thing holding me back is the noise issue.

A friend of mine has two of these bikes. He did something to the litte baffle end to open it up BUT then he made a 90 degree turn down for the end of the pipe. He says it runs better and is still quiet. I have to agree with him on the quiet part. You may want to think about making a 90 degree turn down for the end of the pipe like he did.

Last edited:

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I don't have to worry about noise around here too much, but I keep my bike quiet anyways. My mom doesn't even hear me come home on my bike. Noise is definitely an issue, but it can also be a safety precaution. If people can hear you, then they know you are there and are more likely to get out of the way. But, that is not an excuse for these loud two-strokes and big thumpers. I followed a CRF450R at a local riding area and could not hear for about 30 seconds after he left. It was that loud!

kdxsam

Sep 20, 2002
Well, I like loud stuff. For the rest of my life, I will drive loud things! My '01 KDX200 has the PC pipe and Factory Sound Silencer (race cap). This is not a spark arrester either. I still ride on public land and poker runs and nobody says anything. Everybody seems to have loud 4strokes and 2strokes around here (northern NY). And I still wish my bike was louder! I wish Pro Circuit came out with a "Shorty" for the KDX. Travis (pc forum) said they won't because it isn't a popular demand and it is designed for supercross conditions. It would work good on a KDX becuase in the woods you need that snappy low-end response. I'm not liking the way the law is going with these sound restrictions out in Cali. 96 db this year?! COME ON! By the way, I saw that Dirt Rider issue, if I had a YZ450F I'd get the Pro-Tec muffler for it! That puts out 106 db! Now that is loud! The bike stock still has 103 db!

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
Well I have a 125 with a Pro Circuit Shorty and I will admit that it is louder than it should be. I do what I can and replace the packing at regular intervals and I only ride on closed course race tracks (no public land around here anyway). I was riding next to a YZF at the local track and I couldn't even hear my bike. You would think I was ridding a scooter because that thing was so loud. The agencies should decide weather they would rather have less pollution (two-strokes) or less sound (four-strokes). I don't see me options to have both on one bike. I'm at least doing my part. One thing I think could be done and that I would support would be indoor riding areas. It could just be me living in the north but the thought of riding in January brings a smile to my face.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Hey kdxsam! Do us all a favor and quit riding while there's still time. At least stay around your house so the rest of our riding areas can stay open. It's thinking like yours that keeps the greens and government in business. :flame: With a few more people like you we'll all be riding virtual bikes on our computers before you know it because THAT'S ALL THAT WILL BE AVAILABLE! WISE UP!!! I've been in this sport about twenty years and hope my sons and (someday) the grandkids can keep on enjoying it. Riding areas are scarce enough without our own enthusiasts trying there damndest to get them shut down. :flame: Even closed course facilities need to get with the program, or face repercussions from their neighbors. Auto racing tracks have been faced with this dilemma for decades. :| OK (deep breath) I'm gettin' down off my soap box now.

kdxsam

Sep 20, 2002
Gary B- I know what your saying. I'm with you. I believe in keeping our bikes quiet. It's just that I love the sound of 2-strokes at the local motocross track just ripping with the loud "ting-ting-ting" of the expansion chamber and fast-popping of the little shorties on their bikes. My bike is not loud. At least not as loud as some of them big booming 4-strokes out there now and the race ready 2-strokes. I just want my bike to sound good, loud (not obnoxiously loud-even though it kinda sounded like that when I first said it), and fast. When I bought my KDX200 in 2001, it was great. Then, I wanted more power and noise. It didn't even sound like a 2-stroke! So, now that I have my PC pipe/silencer combo. I'm loving it! This is my oppinion on loud things. I also hope our sport doesn't come to an end. I'm not trying to make it come to an end. I just like my toys sounding good! True, there is a difference between sound good and sounding loud. I love both, but our non-dirt bikers don't. So, I'll stick with the law (even though I don't neccesarily agree with it). But, I'll tell ya one thing...I'm keeping my free-flow silencer on my bike since I paid $85.00 for it! I havn't got caught yet either! On a 2-stroke, you'll never see a spark come from your muffler! On a 4 stroke, YES. You will definetly start a forest fire (most likely more than a 2-stroke). A buddy that I ride with has a Yamaha Warrior, and he just put a Pro Circuit T-4 system on it not too long ago. I'll tell you what mister, that sucker is extremely loud! He took the spark arrester screen out of it. I don't mind it, but the neighbors sure do. And I'm not gonna do anything about it. So, how about we keep our "nice sounding" toys to ourselves. But, lets also not get too carried away with noise (keep 'em quiet, but not too quiet). I'm with ya Gary B.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Gary, it's better that you jumped on him before I did. I think he's just looking for a response. Kdxsam--you neeed to grow up and realize that if we don't make every effort right now to be good neighbors to those outside of our sport then we'll never get the support of those that are 'sitting on the fence'. We need to sway public support our way by showing we are concerned about protecting others rights also.

Top Bottom